Bandi ....Pet cow

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I should start by saying how Bandi came to be mine

Everyone where I live knows that I would do anything for an animal. As a Wildlife Rehabber I get ALOT Of weird phone calls.

Anyways I also work at a Dairy and on Jan 1st I met this lil girl. My boss had driven out the night b4 and scared her mother well she was in labor. Anyways the mom had "dropped" her and ran. The farmer thought she would come back to her baby but she did not! She statye dout all night in below freezing temps still covered in Birthing fluids.

Anyways I noticed this frozen calf well we were graining the cows. I ran over and was shocked to see she was breathing. I began to rub her and my boss came over and I guess he had written her off as to far gone b/c he said he would come and get her the next day b/c it was Jan 1st and he had plans to visit family. I was appaled and told him firmly she was coming home with me.

SOOO I got her home and began to warm her. Sadly she had pneumonia and I was having trouble even inside getting her warm, she just couldnt maintain her body temp.

So what began as trying to keep her warm started a trend.
Dressing my baby girl.

Well she didnt just live she THRIVED! but upon seeing how well my baby girl was doing my boss wanted her back. I know the life od a dairy cow.. they only live for 5 years b/c of how hard it is on them. I know how many calved die in the business of the farm.

Bandi also had a weak immune system b/c she didnt recieve colostrum on time. And any bacteria could be fatal. I prayed about it and I just knew Bandi had to stay here. So I am buying her. Now He is asking full price for her (which was astounding that a calf he wrote off could be worth so much now)

I couldnt afford her but he offered to let me make payments. So there I was. Then some friends on another forum who were just in aww of Bandis clothing trend said I should make a calander to help raise funds! So I did. Im not sure if im aloud to share the link so I wont. But so far Bandi is halfway just over halfway paid off. Moreso b/c Her "auntie" helped out alot.

But anyways I thought I would post this for Snake-Lady since she asked and answer a few questions.

Mandie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God, she is the cutest thing ever! How are cows are pets?
I can not believe your boss is doing that to you
, shame on him!
I sure hope you can keep her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same as goats and chickens. Cats dogs. Its just the same relationship how you treat your animals. I take her for walks like a dog and she loves to rub up on me like a cat. She literally will just rest her head on me. She loves body rubs and belly scratches.

Bandi is here to stay

As a pet cow or a "family cow" she can live up to 25 years!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe he's charging full price for a "bum calf" that YOU bottle-fed!!!! I could go to any dairy right now and get as many bum calves as I wanted for free---they're glad to be rid of them. You should write up a statement/bill for your time and supplies, and deduct them from the purchase price. I'd bet that if you didn't pay, he'd have no legal standing to come after you. Of course, with him being your boss, that does complicate things. I suppose you have to be nice.

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah her full price as $500 but he said he is willing to do $400 plus I buy fresh milk for her.

actually at dairys there is no such thing as a "bum" calf. since all babies are taken from their moms shortly after they are born so their mothers can be milked.

Yeah I just want whats best for Bandi even if I have to jump through hoops! She is a celebrity at my vets office!

She rides in our car and gets in and out like its a normal thing! (gotta buy a trailor she is getting big!!!!)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, I suppose I'm thinking of beef calves (now that I think of it, there aren't a lot of dairies here, mostly beef cattle). Farmers really hate having to bottle-feed them. Even so, it's weird he wants to charge you full price.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww..... Do you have more pictures? She is SO cute!!!!!! I want to see more!

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suppose I can share a few

Im off to bed! I have to be up at 4 to milk! NIGHT!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh - Bandi is adorable! And the clothes are just too precious! I hope you got a LOT of pics, because that calendar could do well year after year.

BTW, as a mod I can say that you can post a link to your calendar. I would LOVE to see it! But, as it is a solicitation, I have to post our standard warning for members (even though it doesn't quite apply to this situation, since she's a cow and not a cat
).

The needs of rescue workers are great and we recognize this fact. To care for multiple cats, find suitable homes, good vet care, food, etc. is costly. From time to time you will see some posts come up to ask for donations for a cause. It is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. More often, you will see pleas from individuals asking for money to be sent directly to them to assist with veterinary bills. Some come up with slick websites, others just have heartwrenching stories.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, please please post the link for the calendar...... I want to see more of this cutie! She is adorable... I am in
love

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cow is super cute!
I think it's stinky that your boss is now charging you for her, though he had written her off.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting about Bandi

Some of my questions were answered already, like the clothes and how she came to be a pet, etc.

She is beautiful....She is almost 6mos old now right? What age are they fullgrown?

Ummm, silly question....what size of clothes do you have to get her?

Does she Moo for attention or needs? How much does she eat? Does she interact with other animals? (like cats for example)

Does she like the clothes? or do you fight with her to get them on?

I too would love the link for your calendar...I was going to pm you for it but I see a MOD has posted saying its ok....

Thanks for posting her and putting up with my questions... I love cows. I'd never have one as a pet, as I don't have the means to home one, but if I did, I would love one. I think they are beautiful.

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How can we not love a cow?

Snake-Lady she is 5 months old today!!! She will be "breeding age" when she is 13-14 months old. (thats so they give birth when they are 2.) But really it should be more about your cows size and health. I would say 2 years old is an adult cow.

Yes she moos for attention and will follow me around begging to be scratched. She interacts well with other animals though the cats have learned to avoid her b.c when she was little she would try and suck on them
The dogs and her are fine and she gets along great with our goats and sheep.

I would have ot say she likes being dressed up. Even as big as she is today I can walk out and dress her she lets me lift her legs she doesnt fight at all. in fact it makes her more frisky! She has to wear maternity cloths now

she eats alot of grass! When she was young she drank 2 gallons of milk a day. Now she is at a gallon but b/c she is now 5 months I will slowly bring her down to 1/2 a gallon. She also loves her grain which she gets once a day since its summer.

Here is a link to her calander. Its a 16 month calander. for every calander sold $7.00 comes to Bandi.

http://www.lulu.com/content/lulustud.../bandi/6933970

Mandie

Ty valanhb

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my what a beautiful girl.

What a lucky girl that you came along

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bandi is the cutest thing I have seen for a long time! You both deserve to have a very long & happy life with each other! Can't wait for updates as she gets older

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by naturesgift

I guess I should start by saying how Bandi came to be mine

Everyone where I live knows that I would do anything for an animal. As a Wildlife Rehabber I get ALOT Of weird phone calls.

Anyways I also work at a Dairy and on Jan 1st I met this lil girl. My boss had driven out the night b4 and scared her mother well she was in labor. Anyways the mom had "dropped" her and ran. The farmer thought she would come back to her baby but she did not! She statye dout all night in below freezing temps still covered in Birthing fluids.

Anyways I noticed this frozen calf well we were graining the cows. I ran over and was shocked to see she was breathing. I began to rub her and my boss came over and I guess he had written her off as to far gone b/c he said he would come and get her the next day b/c it was Jan 1st and he had plans to visit family. I was appaled and told him firmly she was coming home with me.

SOOO I got her home and began to warm her. Sadly she had pneumonia and I was having trouble even inside getting her warm, she just couldnt maintain her body temp.

So what began as trying to keep her warm started a trend.
Dressing my baby girl.

Well she didnt just live she THRIVED! but upon seeing how well my baby girl was doing my boss wanted her back. I know the life od a dairy cow.. they only live for 5 years b/c of how hard it is on them. I know how many calved die in the business of the farm.

Bandi also had a weak immune system b/c she didnt recieve colostrum on time. And any bacteria could be fatal. I prayed about it and I just knew Bandi had to stay here. So I am buying her. Now He is asking full price for her (which was astounding that a calf he wrote off could be worth so much now)

I couldnt afford her but he offered to let me make payments. So there I was. Then some friends on another forum who were just in aww of Bandis clothing trend said I should make a calander to help raise funds! So I did. Im not sure if im aloud to share the link so I wont. But so far Bandi is halfway just over halfway paid off. Moreso b/c Her "auntie" helped out alot.

But anyways I thought I would post this for Snake-Lady since she asked and answer a few questions.

Mandie
She's very cute. Great, now I want a cow for a pet!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by naturesgift

Yes she moos for attention and will follow me around begging to be scratched. She interacts well with other animals though the cats have learned to avoid her b.c when she was little she would try and suck on them
The dogs and her are fine and she gets along great with our goats and sheep.
tee hee hee hee. I can just picture a cow trying to suck on a cat

I would have ot say she likes being dressed up. Even as big as she is today I can walk out and dress her she lets me lift her legs she doesnt fight at all. in fact it makes her more frisky! She has to wear maternity cloths now
again
tee hee hee. Mooternity clothes.

Do you ever worry that she may kick you if she gets startled? Hmmm, do cows startle?

Sorry some of my questions may sound dumb
I have absolutely no experience with cows, aside from looking at them from the side of the road and once I pet some at a fair.

Here is a link to her calander. Its a 16 month calander. for every calander sold $7.00 comes to Bandi.

http://www.lulu.com/content/lulustud.../bandi/6933970

Mandie
The calender goes from July 2009 to Oct. 2010, yes? Do you have any idea about international shipping costs? The site does not tell me how much it is, just that there's different methods

She is beautiful, I love the calender pic with Bandi smelling the flowers, and the comparission pic of her when she was younger (assuming sick) and then all better