How many is too many?

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because you can never just have 1, or 2, or 4... right?!?!

I grew up with one cat who passed away at the ripe old age of 22. My husband and I adopted 2 cats together 7 years ago and have now just adopted 2 more. So my question is? How many is too many? Have I reached my limit? Because honestly - I feel like I could easily, eventually bring in 2 or 4 or 6 more!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats and plan on getting another sphynx this year.
My oldest cat is 17 and my youngest is almost 10 months.
I have 3 half sisters Meeko,Sasha same mom and Oreo who has the same dad as Sasha.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no definitive answer to your question. I know people that have 1 cat and they shouldn't even have that one. I know others that have half a dozen or more and are marvelous with them. It's more of a question of how many can you effectively care for? I have 11 cats and 3 dogs. It was easy for a long time, but now that 5 of the cats are seniors, it gets harder and harder to give each one of them the time they need. And both DH and I have to work to afford their care, so if one of us gets laid off in this economy, we're in trouble.

I've lived with a large household of critters for a very long time - our peak was 15 indoor cats, 5 dogs and about 12 cats in a feral colony. As this gang crosses, we are going to start limiting ourselves to no more than 4 cats and 3 dogs at a time. There aren't enough hours in the day for that many!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi MomofMany!

Granted - there are some who are not very good at taking care of a single cat or pet. I think it is fantastic that you have been able to care for so many at one time! And I'm sure if you had the resources (and time as you mentioned) you would keep on adopting and loving more and more cats.

But I'm wondering really what the people on this board thinks is too many for them. Myself personally, I am the more the merrier.

So I guess to better state it - How many is too many for you?

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, since I have 4, then obviously I consider 5+ to be too many.
I never intended to have more than 2 cats, but I took Tre in for a friend and then I found Promise as a tiny kitten in the alley, so I've adapted. For a single working / full-time student person, I don't think I could easily handle more than 4 cats. Even with 4, I sometimes feel they don't all get as much of my full and undivided attention as I like.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We currently have six - all rescues. I'd get more but I don't think the cats could stand it. We do have a lovely sunporch where I can set up for fosters. The glass door between the living room and the sunporch enables everyone to say "hi," without arguments breaking out.

We have a very anti-outside cat SPCA here. They euthanize them with little to no effort to find their owners. It is assumed they are feral, which many are not. If they really are feral, they are treated worse. No amount of explaining about TNR seems to make a difference. We've even had a couple of times where cared-for cats were trapped by Animal Control with the caretaker standing right there, trying to explain and being ignored.

Personally, I think all cats should be inside but until everyone thinks that, we'll have ferals and strays. And I do not believe in killing them just because they never learned to live inside.

So, my husband and I are trying to decide if we want to adopt some ferals here - we would have to have them in an enclosure, so we'd be limited to three or four. But that's better than having them sentenced to death.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have six cats and I would have more if I had time/money and thought they'd all be happy together. I think the key is that if you can afford to feed them, have time to spend on them and care for them properly there are plenty of cats in shelters and pounds that need homes.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby will tell you his limit is one--my limit is officially three and we will be at that in 2 more weeks. I know that I cannot care for more than three and still properly care for my other animals--and honestly probably couldn't handle three if my other animals didn't hibernate 5 months out of the year. I provide 95% of the care to our cats, my husband does the other 5%--so I don't give him a vote in it!

Leslie

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 4 rescue cats and two of those had kittens, 5 with one and 4 with another which totalled 13 cats at one time. (I found wonderful homes for all the kittens
) All 4 of my babies passed on one by one.

Now I have 1 cat and 1 dog and can't afford more than that, right now anyway. My 80 pound dog can eat like an elephant! Time is not an issue, I have no kids and no hubby so all my time goes to spoiling my babies.

If I had unlimited resources, I don't know how many I'd have but I do know it would be a LOT of rescues

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't participate in the poll, because while we have seven, it was just not because "the more the merrier." I don't mean to be all serious, but I'm just struggling with it, because I find it to be just too cavalier an attitude about it. More than 2 or 3 and it's a serious responsibility to make it work.
All of our kitties (except the first two) are ours based on need (we rescue). If they were easily adoptable, they got adopted out. I would much rather rescue and find homes than keep adding kitties.

For us, two was our limit. We lived full-time in the RV when we first started rescuing (we moved back in about a year ago), and we thought space was an issue. Well, a number of fosters and several rescues later, we thought five was our limit. We moved into the house, and there was another needy kitty too difficult to adopt, and six was our limit. We moved back into the RV, and last November, we had to adopt Billy for a lot of reasons, so inside with us he came. Now seven is our limit.

For us, we've learned it isn't at all about space. BUT.... it is about time, money, and how you configure the space you have. Anything above 2 or 3 cats and the dynamics get complicated (unless you're really lucky in the personalities of all the kitties).

If we didn't principally telecommute and weren't here most of the time, there is no way we could have this many cats. Especially in this space. It works for us and them (usually
) - but it's taken and can take a lot of work. It's not like we just bring them home and everything goes fine. They all need attention, alone time, play time, alone play time, and we have to keep an eye on the dynamics to know who needs extra attention, which two we need to work on diffusing tensions at any given time, &etc.

Ours are all going to become seniors around the same time, and thanks to Amy pointing it out, we're going to start saving for that now (the four oldest are all 7 this year). We've literally spent tens of thousands on this crew (that's why they're ours - other than the first three, all of them needed extended and expensive medical attention, though our first rescue ended up costing thousands later).

So as far as I'm concerned, as Amy pointed out, it's not just if you can afford their care now, but one has to consider if you can afford their care if ALL of them need it at the same time, especially as they age.

AND... what happens to all of them if something happens to you/DH? If you have the ability to make provisions for and find commitments for homes for them if something happens is also something to consider. What happens if you have 14 cats and die unexpectedly in a car accident? Can you provide for them if something happens to you?
(Not talking to you specifically, just think it's something responsible kitty guardians consider when growing their families).

But another reality (for us) in terms of our limit is also how many we can comfortable fit in our car (we now have a van!). If there's an emergency, all those crates have to go somewhere.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH - one thing to add.
Since we adopted Billy this past November, being just 2 now, ALL of the cats are acting more like kittens again, so our mostly sleeping crew that needed only a few minutes of play a day now all need HEAPS of play time again!
...just something else to consider, the age mix of your kitties!

Laurie

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I didn't participate in the poll, because while we have seven, it was just not because "the more the merrier." I don't mean to be all serious, but I'm just struggling with it, because I find it to be just too cavalier an attitude about it. More than 2 or 3 and it's a serious responsibility to make it work.
All of our kitties (except the first two) are ours based on need (we rescue). If they were easily adoptable, they got adopted out. I would much rather rescue and find homes than keep adding kitties.

For us, two was our limit. We lived full-time in the RV when we first started rescuing (we moved back in about a year ago), and we thought space was an issue. Well, a number of fosters and several rescues later, we thought five was our limit. We moved into the house, and there was another needy kitty too difficult to adopt, and six was our limit. We moved back into the RV, and last November, we had to adopt Billy for a lot of reasons, so inside with us he came. Now seven is our limit.

For us, we've learned it isn't at all about space. BUT.... it is about time, money, and how you configure the space you have. Anything above 2 or 3 cats and the dynamics get complicated (unless you're really lucky in the personalities of all the kitties).

If we didn't principally telecommute and weren't here most of the time, there is no way we could have this many cats. Especially in this space. It works for us and them (usually
) - but it's taken and can take a lot of work. It's not like we just bring them home and everything goes fine. They all need attention, alone time, play time, alone play time, and we have to keep an eye on the dynamics to know who needs extra attention, which two we need to work on diffusing tensions at any given time, &etc.

Ours are all going to become seniors around the same time, and thanks to Amy pointing it out, we're going to start saving for that now (the four oldest are all 7 this year). We've literally spent tens of thousands on this crew (that's why they're ours - other than the first three, all of them needed extended and expensive medical attention, though our first rescue ended up costing thousands later).

So as far as I'm concerned, as Amy pointed out, it's not just if you can afford their care now, but one has to consider if you can afford their care if ALL of them need it at the same time, especially as they age.

AND... what happens to all of them if something happens to you/DH? If you have the ability to make provisions for and find commitments for homes for them if something happens is also something to consider. What happens if you have 14 cats and die unexpectedly in a car accident? Can you provide for them if something happens to you?
(Not talking to you specifically, just think it's something responsible kitty guardians consider when growing their families).

But another reality (for us) in terms of our limit is also how many we can comfortable fit in our car (we now have a van!). If there's an emergency, all those crates have to go somewhere.

Laurie
... a 5 star post, Laurie! I agre with everything there.

My mom is 65 now and has two old cats. When they sadly go she'll get two more cats (but not kittens). We've got an agreement that I'd take these cats if something happens to her- otherwise she wouldn't be getting any more cats.

so when the time comes to choose these cats they will have to be well socialized, non dominant, non FIV or Leucose+ kitties that could be integrated into my cat group.

Also means that I will have to restrict my own cat numbers just in case- I will probably foster instead, as this would allow me to re- home the fosters if worst comes to worst and I have to take her kitties.

regards,

christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Regarding the seniors issue - that's one of the reasons I opted to wait 7 years before getting additional cats.

I'm going to suppose you wont hold it against me that I'm not a foster parent to felines. I just know that I would drive my husband crazy because I would never want to let any go.

I didn't intend to make the poll seem callous in anyway. Coming from the thought process that went into adopting the two new ones, there was at least a year's worth of discussions. But we feel comfortable in regards to the "What if?" scenarios and the money concerns. And the truth is - you can never be prepared for everything.

So I'm sorry if this poll rubbed you the wrong way, that was not my interest. I have no intent if and when I am fortunate enough to have 5+ cats to have them for bragging rights but instead parent them because I truly love them and feel I can provide them with everything they need.

EDIT TO ADD: Re-reading this I think I may come off as a little harsh and I definitely don't want you to think that. I wrote this poll as what I consider myself to be - a typical pet owner. I don't consider people who foster as typical - those are superhuman people! As you stated, the financial, physical, and emotional needs are multiplied with each cat, especially ones that are being fostered. But I don't think the average pet owner is going to be able to or want to maintain that kind of home.

People who foster are amazing. My two older cats were abandoned by their mother and I adopted them at just under the 5 weeks of age (the person I adopted them from found them in her backyard and when she called the local shelter they told her because of the age the would most likely become snake food!
So I had to take a couple!). I remember how hard it was to care for them. The never ending KMR, the up 3-6 times a night, having to keep them in a x-large shipping box, then a small room, then a slightly larger room until months later and they were big enough; these are a few reasons why I definitely appreciate those who foster (whoever took care of my new kittens did a great job!) but I could NEVER foster myself.

But I do think I can take care of a good half dozen cats at various ages. And I hope to. The more cats I can give a home to the happier I and they will be.

So maybe I should add a caveat that this poll is for "How many cats are too many in a non-fostering count?"

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course you didn't mean to rub anyone the wrong way! I apologized up front, because I'm just feeling overly serious, which is why I pointed it out.
The site - especially this forum - is meant to be fun, and the poll was in that spirit, I know.

The background here is that one of the forum's long time members died unexpectedly in March, and had no provisions for her kitties. Her family lied about what happened to them, and a number of TCS members worked hard to track down all four kitties, to get them into an appropriate shelter, to get one out of a shelter and back to the TCS breeder that the kitty was adopted from, and other local people worked hard to figure out what happened to the fourth cat, and were able to track down that a neighbor adopted it.
But it was such an emotionally trying time and so SAD. And it really illustrated the need to make sure our kitties are taken care of not only if we're alive, but almost more importantly, if we're not, which so few of us consider(ed). AND yesterday we saw a mom with five kittens, and since we don't work with a rescue group (and they're all full anyway), we're feeling all guilty that we can't afford to do what we normally do. So I just apologize for being all serious, but I'm in a funk, and I definitely did not mean to accuse you of not being a good cat meowmy - and just to be clear, I totally did not think that you were looking for "cat bragging rights."

The fact of the matter is that ALL of us can truly love more kitties than we can properly care for.

And we can't foster either. Thank GOODNESS I can blame it on the space.
But we used to get so attached too, and emotionally it can be rough! Each of us has a different "calling" when it comes to cats, and this thread was about one of those limits - how many cats?
But knowing our limits and figuring out our calling - whether it is having them as members of our families, TNRing them, working at a shelter, providing a foster home, taking in the FeLV positive kitties, adopting only older kitties... is all a part of the lovely fabric of TCS.

I'm sorry to have been a bummer! I probably shouldn't have posted. And I definitely meant in no way to attack you. I myself joke about cats being like potato chips - it's impossible (for so many of us!) to have just one.

Laurie

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the most cats we ever had was 11 when we were saving ferals and strays.
Its hard to let them go so I kept 3 ferals at different times.
All the cats I have now were not ferals.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For us, the city says more than 4 (cats + dogs total) is too many.

In the reality of finance and cat personalities, more than the 3 we already have would be too many.
For the most part they get along. But recently we did a complete litter box rearrangement due to a "thinking outside of the box" incident. Thankfully, it was in the bathtub. No recurrences since rearranging the boxes.
I know I am at full capacity for cats.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had three a few months ago but am now down to two, all of them former stray or feral. When I was living with my aunt and uncle, we lost count of the cats--but most of those were outdoor barn cats, a lot of whom came and went now and then.

I personally could handle and have fun with more cats, but two, or three if they're good friends with each other, is about the limit for the space I'm living in now...maybe four if they were indoor-outdoor, but Panther's too skitty to go outside, and Squirrel might not come back, and they're both not fixed yet (they will be eventually because I know it's better for them and because I can't take the in-heat meyowling forever but I haven't had time and money overlap yet) so if I let them out I'd have way too many cats in two months. Chilsa (male, fixed, older when I got him) was indoor-outdoor here, though not at the old apartment because I didn't think the area was safe enough. Three completely-indoor would probably be too much here, and definitely if they didn't get along.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this thread earlier and opted to take some time to consider what I was going to say before jumping in and responding. That being said, I did choose to vote on the poll and did state my limit, at the present moment, is two cats. However, I would consider a third if an opportunity presented itself in the distant future and if it was in the best interest of all involved -- cats, other pets, and humans alike.

I very much agree with the poster above who made the statement that "the more the merrier" is a cavalier attitude to take in many situations. Of course, I feel that everyone's personal limits should be respected, but how often do we hear about pet hoarders (mainly cats and small animals) on the news? And, typically, in those situations, the animals suffer a great deal both before and after being rescued. Sometimes the answer is not to adopt another cat. I had a discussion with a friend this evening about her own cats and the fact that she's struggling with having four cats in the home. She told me that an animal shelter
had told her that having three or four (or more!) cats was no different than having one or two. And I think that's a thought process that is tossed around quite often. But, truthfully, having one cat is far different than having two, four, six, eight, or ten. There are some individuals (many on this site, in fact) who can handle this responsibility, but I think it's also important to recognize our own limitations because there are many people who believe they can adequately care for large numbers of animals, but who truly cannot. And then it's everyone that suffers.

For me, personally, two is my current limit. I also have two small dogs and a bird and that alone makes my home often feel chaotic. How many nights am I exhausted and wanting to go to bed, but instead need to feed the animals, check on the bird, walk the dogs, clean up vomit or an accident on the floor, scoop or clean litter pans, or any other number of pet-related duties? Sometimes my pets do not get 100% of my attention because, like most people, I have a life outside of the home as well as numerous relationships that need to be maintained. There are days that I struggle with health-related concerns and I cannot be as present for my cats that I'd like. Of course, all of my pets' needs are always met, but there are many times I'd like to be able to do more, but cannot. It's human nature, it's life, and if I were to add another animal to the mix it would be fair to no one -- most especially myself. Financially, being a responsible pet owner is expensive. There are adoption fees, vaccinations, spay and neuter surgeries, wellness visits to the vet, emergency vet care (including treatment for illnesses, injuries, and the like), medications, quality food and supplements, quality litter, the necessary supplies (dishes, litter pans, cat scratchers, toys and the like), and the incidentals that are sure to crop up. I only work part-time and finances are often tighter than I'd like to admit. Again, with the pets I have at home, I can be fiscally responsible for them. But adding another would be a serious drain on my finances and it's one I just can't afford at this time. Then there is the issue of space. How much room do I have? Cramped living quarters doesn't help anyone and actually promotes stress and illness in some cases. And let's not forget that not all feline personalities will match. Not only that...how would other pets in the home react to a new addition? My list (as well as others, I'm sure) could go on forever. And that's why I think this thread is so important.

Please know I'm coming at this post from my own personal perspective. I am not judging anyone for having what they feel is a fair amount of pets in the home (and fostering is a whole other matter from this one). This is just my opinion on the situation and what I feel is appropriate for me and my animals at this time -- this is certainly not meant as criticism.

Perhaps the short version of my reply should have been this: know and respect your personal limitations, trust your instincts, make decisions based on thought rather than impulse, and always keep in mind what is best for all involved.

Excellent thread and discussion. Definitely thought provoking for me...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal limit is 2, as I only adopt oldies and have a knack of finding ones with health issues that cost me a fortune - and the last two times I have gone up to 3, something has happened to one of them a short time later, so I feel a bit jinxed about 3 cats now!! I do foster though, so the actual number of cats in my house varies, my comfortable limit is 5, I often end up with 6 though, and have had up to 8 this year on more than one occasion, and as some cats are in isolation, and some live in this room, and some in that, it is incredibly hard to give them all a decent amount of time - while I just had oldies, it wasn't too bad, as they dont need a lot of play, but I briefly fostered a kitten, and the amount of work they create is untrue!! I have never been able to figure out people who say that an extra one is fine and you dont notice it - I must be doing something wrong then, cos I certainly do, the amount of washing up I was doing for 8 cats was untrue, and the amount of litter box cleaning!! I did spend the first 4 months of the year with at least one terminally ill cat though, and they do take up a lot more time and create a lot more cleaning.

woopidydoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I voted the more the merrier. If I can afford them/take care of them/have the room..why not? I couldn't set a limit..the homeless cats of the world need me.