Does this ever happen to you?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so weird!! Last night I was working as a server and my boss had me taste a few wines to see if they'd turned. It was hardly anything, maybe half a glass total. Well, suddenly my face felt like it was sunburned and it got bright red splotches all over it! It's happened two other times, both when I'd had small amounts of wine. Only wine, only small amounts too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it happen when you drink any alcohol or just wine? There could be the small possibility that you're allergic to something in wines.

What type of wines were they?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like an allergy to me. Is there something in the wine you might be allergic to? I think I would avoid drinking wine in any case if it has that reaction on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just happens with wine. And I drink larger amounts of wine all the time and it doesn't happen. I know one time it happened with San Giovese, the other time I'm not sure and this time it was all whites that I tried.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd.
Well, there's alcohol flush reaction. All alcohol would cause this as it's related to a person not being able to break down alcohol properly.
There's sulfite sensitivity and possible histamine reactions since wines can affect that.

But none of these would really explain why a little causes it and more doesn't.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well maybe the wines did turn and you had a reaction to it. If I thought I was drinking bad wine I wouldn't have been a guinea pig, hope you're ok.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine is allergic to alcohol, and that's what happens. But it happens with all alcohol. it's strange it only happens with small amounts of wine, so I've got no explanation for that!

Laurie

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wine does that to me too, but no other alcohol. After just a few sips, my face is burning and red. I don't know if more would stop the reaction or not because 1/2 a glass of wine just puts me right to sleep! Now, I can drink beer or mixed drinks and be fine (well, "happy", but fine!
)

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Well maybe the wines did turn and you had a reaction to it. If I thought I was drinking bad wine I wouldn't have been a guinea pig, hope you're ok.
Bad wine is just vinegar. It's only JUST turned. You can smell it otherwise. We just don't want to serve it to customers if it's not quality. But that's what I was thinking too, maybe it's wine that's turned that makes my face do that.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the first sign that I am getting drunk... It happens to me whenever I drink...

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That's the first sign that I am getting drunk... It happens to me whenever I drink...
My cheeks definitely get pink when I drink any other time. This is different. Feels sunburned and it's weird splotches of red all over.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

My cheeks definitely get pink when I drink any other time. This is different. Feels sunburned and it's weird splotches of red all over.
Oh, sorry... I think you became allergic to wine... Hopefully not to all types!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Oh, sorry... I think you became allergic to wine... Hopefully not to all types!
Yes, I guess I'll have to start keeping track of which wines it happens with. But it's definitely not all wines (thank goodness!).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess it could be the sulfites - and some wines definitely have more than others! But that still wouldn't explain why it happens with just a little and goes away as you drink more.

Laurie

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My face gets red and hot when I drink wine and sometimes any other alcoholic beverage. That's when I know I'm getting a little drunk lol.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Could you have rosacea? I've read that certain foods, such as alcohol and caffeine, trigger a reaction. (Seriously), Does your nose get red, too? That's often a sign of rosacea.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I guess it could be the sulfites - and some wines definitely have more than others! But that still wouldn't explain why it happens with just a little and goes away as you drink more.

Laurie
Actually every time it happened I never continued drinking. It happened twice at work, so it was just tasting.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Sometimes my cheeks go flushed after one sip of any alcohol, but it only lasts a few minutes
It only lasts about 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by MargeCat

Could you have rosacea? I've read that certain foods, such as alcohol and caffeine, trigger a reaction. (Seriously), Does your nose get red, too? That's often a sign of rosacea.
I drink a lot of caffeine, that's never done it, just wine, no other alcohol and had never happened when I'm drunk. I don't think my nose was red, if it was it wasn't as red as other parts of my face.

By the way, I'm not concerned or anything, just curious. It's a little uncomfortable, thank goodness it happened when I was done serving my tables, I looked like a freak!