Anyone use Avon Skin So Soft/bug repellant?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using it to keep the bugs off, just the regular bath oil stuff (I figure I can get skin cancer by using Deet bug spray or by not using sun screen, I'm going with the latter) and after just spending $10 on insecticide from the vet to put on my dog I'm wondering why I didnt just put some SSS on him! Has anyone tried it on pets? I googled it and it said it was fine. Also wondering if anyone has used the Avon insect repellants (which have SPF in them)? They seem to have good reviews but I was just curious.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard of anyone using it but you would most definitely have the best smelling dog around. My only concern would be that it being oil based he would be able to lick it off his skin and fur and it may make him sick.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother would always use it, and did use it on our dog sometimes. Mixing SSS and dog smell is horrible...

Not so surprisingly, I can't get the stuff on me. I seem to be mildly allergic/sensitive to it.
So I really hated that she'd put it on the dog who'd come get on me.

She also used SSS to remove tar from vehicles, just something to think about before slathering it on a dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

She also used SSS to remove tar from vehicles, just something to think about before slathering it on a dog.
It removes tar because of the oil base, salad oil works on tar/tree sap too.

Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I used to use SSS for my horse. He smelled so pretty.
It worked about as well as regular horse bug spray.

We bought the Avon sunscreen and bug repellent for ourselves.
Did the sunscreen/bug repellant work? Did you like it? I figure it really cant be worse than something with Deet, I'm just worried that it wont work as well as the regular SSS on bugs other than mosquitoes.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

It removes tar because of the oil base, salad oil works on tar/tree sap too.
My point was more for what it would do to the natural oils and ph of a dog's skin - but then anything you regularly put on a dog like that could negatively impact that.

lynneny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had heard that it was great for cleaning shower glass doors, so I bought some - it gave me violent headaches. My mom used to wear it a lot when she went golfing - I could not be in the same room with her after she was done.

Deet does the same thing to me.

That is why I am sitting here with a humungous bite on my shin that is growing bigger by the day!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

My only concern would be that it being oil based he would be able to lick it off his skin and fur and it may make him sick.
That's exactly what happened to me. I tried it on 1 of my dogs just once. Nita didn't get sick, but the moment she started to lick herself I had to wash it off with Dawn dish soap.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i love SSS, if im going somewhere outside i will put it in my bath and get it soaked in me, mosquito love me and if i don't use something i end up with like 15-20 welts all over me. All my mosquito bites always turn into big welts i guess im somewhat allergic to them.

im pretty sure my mom used to put it on her dog.

i seen a commercial not too long ago for this new product from OFF, instead of spraying yourself down with the stuff they now make a button thingy that you attach to yourself that is supposed to ward off the mosquitoes, i was thinking about giving that a try, cause i hate spraying OFF all over me, it makes me sticky and uncomfortable.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

i seen a commercial not too long ago for this new product from OFF, instead of spraying yourself down with the stuff they now make a button thingy that you attach to yourself that is supposed to ward off the mosquitoes, i was thinking about giving that a try, cause i hate spraying OFF all over me, it makes me sticky and uncomfortable.
I was just thinking about that when checking back on this thread. BUT, the little disk in it will contain chemicals and the fan will circulate them around you. For a person who may be extremely sensitive to inhaled chemicals could this still cause problems (asthma attacks, headaches, problems breathing, etc)? If it's safe for people with these sensitivities I wonder if it would be safe to clip one on a dog's collar to keep away mosquitoes?

If anyone decides to try those OFF clip ons, they should have some coupons on their site.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I was just thinking about that when checking back on this thread. BUT, the little disk in it will contain chemicals and the fan will circulate them around you. For a person who may be extremely sensitive to inhaled chemicals could this still cause problems (asthma attacks, headaches, problems breathing, etc)? If it's safe for people with these sensitivities I wonder if it would be safe to clip one on a dog's collar to keep away mosquitoes?

If anyone decides to try those OFF clip ons, they should have some coupons on their site.
good point! idk...i think if someone is thinking about using it on their dog, they should prob call their customer support and see if they know or ask the veterinarian if it would be OK.

as for myself, i def think i will be trying it on myself. When i get to work and have the chance im going to print out the coupon.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this thread, but I use to use Avon skin so soft on my horses when it first came out! I'm sure it's a bit more expensive now, but it works and smells nice to!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone who used to sell Avon.....don't waste your money! It doesn't work.

If you have Watkins around there, they have a bug replellant lotion that is excellent. Or just stick to Deep Woods Off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

As someone who used to sell Avon.....don't waste your money! It doesn't work.

If you have Watkins around there, they have a bug replellant lotion that is excellent. Or just stick to Deep Woods Off.
Deep Woods Off works but it has a lot of Deet in it and it makes me feel queasy. I have been using the SSS and (I was amazed) it really has been working. I havent got one bite while I was wearing it. Granted, I did have it slopped on really thick (I think it worked a bit like suntanning oil even). I really dont care for the SSS smell and it gives me a bit of a headache sometimes but I prefer it to the Deet stuff.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sell Avon, I hate bug repellent. Since I have reptiles I never even use it. Many people in my family are allergic to mosquito bites and use those button things someone mentioned. They can be a bit pricey (if what they mentioned is what I'm talking about) but they work really well. They use a sound wave to keep bugs away.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

I sell Avon, I hate bug repellent. Since I have reptiles I never even use it. Many people in my family are allergic to mosquito bites and use those button things someone mentioned. They can be a bit pricey (if what they mentioned is what I'm talking about) but they work really well. They use a sound wave to keep bugs away.
The ones cats4sky and I were talking about are made by OFF and actually have a bug repellent in them. That still makes me a little leery to use it, so if the ones your family uses actually work I'd be interested to find out what brand they use if you could find out.