Complication after being spayed. EMERGENCY!

woopidydoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I took a feral cat to be spayed on wednesday. I didn't really see her (only here and there) until tonight. She came home (she stays behind my shed) and she could barely walk. She was limping and kept falling over. Her nose looked a little whiter than usual. She did eat, though. I tried to catch her but she scratched me and I dropped her.
. Now she's mad at me. I can't take her to the vet and I'm super worried about her. I'll be devastated if she dies. Do you think she's in pain that's why she's limping/falling over? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: As far as I could see, her tummy looks fine. Also, Maybe she's limping because she keeps running the streets instead of resting? I only kept her for 12 hrs. after her surgery. I think I was supposed to keep her for a day but she has babies outside (about 7 wk old kittens) and she was going nuts without them. I felt bad for her so I let her out early. Probably not the best decision..but I thought she would sit out in my shed/behind my shed with her babies like she usually does. I spay/neuter feral cats all the time..and this has never happened. Usually they bounce right back after their surgeries...and she hasn't. ADVICE PLEASE. I just wish she would let me catch her so I can ask a vet. ahh.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've never worked with feral cats, so don't really know how to help. I'm sure somebody else will be along soon with some advice.

Can you catch the kittens and bring them in so you can keep mom and babies together?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could it be she is still "groggy" from the surgery?

Maybe you could try to bring her and the babies in with you? Try wearing heavy gloves when you try to catch her to avoid getting scratched. Hhmmm maybe bring the kittens in first and then she will hopefully follow.

If you don't see she is better tomorrow maybe you should contact your vet.

Hopefully she is just only having a reaction to the anesthesia ... everyone does react differently.

Hang in there and try not to worry too much and please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

woopidydoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Could it be she is still "groggy" from the surgery?

Maybe you could try to bring her and the babies in with you? Try wearing heavy gloves when you try to catch her to avoid getting scratched. Hhmmm maybe bring the kittens in first and then she will hopefully follow.

If you don't see she is better tomorrow maybe you should contact your vet.

Hopefully she is just only having a reaction to the anesthesia ... everyone does react differently.

Hang in there and try not to worry too much and please keep us posted!
Thanks for the advice, guys. Yeah, I wish I could catch her...I highly doubt I'll be able to, though. If she is worse in the morning..I'm going to have to catch her somehow..If she's even around. She's pretty much been M.I.A since I let her out. Usually, she just hangs out in my backyard. She doesn't really leave so I don't know why she just doesn't stay put like before her surgery. I'm hoping she'll be okay.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno about ferals but when it comes my indoor cat's neuter surgery- he was acting really crazy after it. He was extremely hyper and jumping everywhere. I think the anesthesia has that effect on them sometimes so maybe that's why she's going out so much. That's why vets say cats should stay indoors after their surgery, I really don't know about ferals though, you said they told you to release her the next day- with my cat he was supposed to stay indoors for about 10 days and to limit his activity by putting him in a small room! So that sounds odd that they would allow her to go outside that soon.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure the anesthesia would be worn off by now. But that is how my first feral acted when I let her out after being spayed. She was freaking out in her cage and I stupidly decided to let her outside without keeping her in overnight.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

So that sounds odd that they would allow her to go outside that soon.
That does seem odd. I had an outdoor kitty (not feral) spay a couple years ago and was told that she had to stay contained/inside for at least a week - there was some complications with infection so it ended up being closer to two weeks.

iirc, we've had a member here (I want to say it was keith_p?) who let a cat out the following day after her spaying and the cat did end up dying...
I don't want to scare the OP, but for the cat's sake - and the kittens, it would be best to catch them all and either bring them inside or contain them somehow. The kittens will need plenty of contact as well so that the mother cat's feral/skittish behavior doesn't carry over as much.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every feral cat I've gotten spayed, they said to keep inside overnight and that's it. They've all been fine. Everything I've read about the TNR program says that too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is she doing today? Was it just a longer than expected reaction to the anesthesia?

TNR programs often allow male cats out after the first night, so that they are assured that the anesthesia is worn off. For females, the program that I've been involved in recommends keeping them 2 nights, just because its a more complicated procedure, but there are those that allow them lose the next day. The difficulty with ferals is where to keep them post surgery. If they are very feral, you have to basically keep them in the cage that they will be released from, which means that they don't have room for a litter box and the cage gets a bit messed up, not to mention added stress to the cat.

woopidydoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

How is she doing today? Was it just a longer than expected reaction to the anesthesia?

TNR programs often allow male cats out after the first night, so that they are assured that the anesthesia is worn off. For females, the program that I've been involved in recommends keeping them 2 nights, just because its a more complicated procedure, but there are those that allow them lose the next day. The difficulty with ferals is where to keep them post surgery. If they are very feral, you have to basically keep them in the cage that they will be released from, which means that they don't have room for a litter box and the cage gets a bit messed up, not to mention added stress to the cat.
Yeah, I know. I hate having ferals sit in their live trap for a day before the surgery then after. They look so uncomfortable even with a towel lining those metal bars! I also hate cleaning up their poop while their in the live trap. It gets really tricky when they sit in it.

Anyway, I saw her this morning and she seemed a lot better than last night. I'll keep you guys posted.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is a health question, but since it is about a feral cat, I think you should start a thread about it in the strays/ferals area b/c you might get better feedback(?)

Definitely she is going to be looking for those kittens, whether that has anything to do with her limping or not. What happened to them- are they headed for a shelter or part of your colony now? I am just curious.

woopidydoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

I know this is a health question, but since it is about a feral cat, I think you should start a thread about it in the strays/ferals area b/c you might get better feedback(?)

Definitely she is going to be looking for those kittens, whether that has anything to do with her limping or not. What happened to them- are they headed for a shelter or part of your colony now? I am just curious.
She's with her kittens, now. They're a part of my colony. haha.