dynamic change with new cat

coda_m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After much deliberation, we have decided to get a second cat as a companion for Coda. Coda is such a little princess and is the apple of our eye. She seems pretty content, well-adjusted, and happy with her life, but with both my fiance and I working somewhat long hours this summer she does get a bit lonely at times. When we're home she is constantly meowing for attention and wants to play all the time (she has always done this, the little suck - even when my fiance was unemployed and home most of the time - we just feel more guilty now). She is definately a very good cat, we haven't had any behavioural problems other than her neediness. So to ease her loneliness, we decided to get her a friend, Nico. Nico is a male cat about 7 months, around two months younger than Coda. He just returned from his vet visit with a clean bill of health and tomorrow introductions will start. I have been reading up on proper introductions and have been following most of the recommend steps. Actually, earlier today, Nico managed to escape from his room and ran into Coda. The little bit they were together went well. No hissing or growling, just staring. Coda seemed to want to play but Nico was more hesitant. They have also been sniffing each other and batting their paws at each other when we open his room door a crack. I'm hoping it will go well.

Back to the original subject of this thread.... I'm worried that my little love bug will change and won't be as Coda-ish once she meets her new friend. What has everyone's experience been with this? I love her playfulness and her cuddliness and I'm afraid she will change and not want to pay us the time of day once she has someone else to hang with. I certainly want her to have some feline companionship but will be very sad if my lap warmer, and front door greeter and mischievous little bugger disappears. I know I thought about all that before adding a new member to the family, but now that the possibility is a reality, I'm afraid and I'm second guessing my decision (I would never return Nico, but am still on edge about his arrival). I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that everything will go smoothly and Coda will still be the same.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coda_m

After much deliberation, we have decided to get a second cat as a companion for Coda. Coda is such a little princess and is the apple of our eye. She seems pretty content, well-adjusted, and happy with her life, but with both my fiance and I working somewhat long hours this summer she does get a bit lonely at times. When we're home she is constantly meowing for attention and wants to play all the time (she has always done this, the little suck - even when my fiance was unemployed and home most of the time - we just feel more guilty now). She is definately a very good cat, we haven't had any behavioural problems other than her neediness. So to ease her loneliness, we decided to get her a friend, Nico. Nico is a male cat about 7 months, around two months younger than Coda. He just returned from his vet visit with a clean bill of health and tomorrow introductions will start. I have been reading up on proper introductions and have been following most of the recommend steps. Actually, earlier today, Nico managed to escape from his room and ran into Coda. The little bit they were together went well. No hissing or growling, just staring. Coda seemed to want to play but Nico was more hesitant. They have also been sniffing each other and batting their paws at each other when we open his room door a crack. I'm hoping it will go well.

Back to the original subject of this thread.... I'm worried that my little love bug will change and won't be as Coda-ish once she meets her new friend. What has everyone's experience been with this? I love her playfulness and her cuddliness and I'm afraid she will change and not want to pay us the time of day once she has someone else to hang with. I certainly want her to have some feline companionship but will be very sad if my lap warmer, and front door greeter and mischievous little bugger disappears. I know I thought about all that before adding a new member to the family, but now that the possibility is a reality, I'm afraid and I'm second guessing my decision (I would never return Nico, but am still on edge about his arrival). I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that everything will go smoothly and Coda will still be the same.
This is a worry I oft see espressed on TCS. I had the same exact feelings. I did not want to get another cat because I was afraid it would take some of Persi's love away from me and we would not be such good buddies anymore. None of that happened but now Persi has a great friend to play with when I am gone.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of, congrats on getting your new kitty!
I also feared getting a new kitty, but it was a different fear... Lucky, my first and resident kitty, was a shy cat when she first got here - considered pretty much a semi-feral, unadoptable, etc. It had taken me months rehabilitating/socializing her, and I am talking working with her pretty much all day long, since I worked at home...
I was afraid that she would actually get shy again, go back to hiding, and turning back to what she was before.
For my surprise, the opposite happened - she flourished... She became the owner of the house, the queen. She also became much more cuddling, demanding and giving me much more attention... I think the competition forced her to get out of her shell a little more to make sure I understood she was the number one in my heart!

It was the best decision I've made after bringing her - adding Bugsy was wonderful for both Lucky and I.
Good Luck!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Coda and Niko become close friends, Coda could start sharing her attention with Niko. But as you stated, you are gone long hours and that is exactly what you want to happen. Certainly the dynamics in your household will change a bit, but I've never witnessed a loving cat turn their back on me when I've adopted others. Sometimes they actually get more clingy with me, as perhaps they are threatened about losing your attention to another.

So things will change, but actually with 2, you will most likely have more fun with them, as you now have another creature in your home that can speak Coda's language.

When you said that you've been reading up on introductions, have you found the thread on this site that talks about introducing old cats to new? There's a lot of great information in that thread. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

We love pictures (hint).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coda_m

Actually, earlier today, Nico managed to escape from his room and ran into Coda. The little bit they were together went well. No hissing or growling, just staring.
Sounds like you're off to a good start

I've never done the slow intros, always just put the new one into the mix and it's always worked out.

With each new cat I have another lap warmer and door greeter, I don't think you need to worry but if she does change at first she'll likely change back once the 'threat' of new kitten is over and they've adjusted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coda_m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far so good. Nico kept trying to escape his room and Coda kept trying to get in and the little encounters they had were good, so we decided to let them have a go at it. They smelled each other, and then Nico explored the house with Coda following him and making sure he didn't get into trouble. Coda keeps trying to get him to play with her (she wants to tumble and be chased) but he's more intent on doing a thorough exploration of his new kingdom. She seems to be giving him some space when he wants it though (like when he used HER litter box to poo in - she just sat at a distance and watched). No hissing and growling, although Nico seems a bit more wary of her than she is of him. I think Coda will definately be the boss between the two. Hopefully we didn't jump the gun and things will continue to go smoothly.

Thanks for all the reassurance from everyone, it definately does help to know your experience and that for the most part your cat's affection towards you didn't change.

I will try and post pictures as soon as possible.