I have Tabi!!!!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, I just have to brag - I have Tabi! Our friend and favorite waitress at the local Sushi restaurant went to Japan to visit her family and she asked if there was anything that she could bring back for me. I asked that if it was convenient, that she bring back a pair of tabi for me. She did! They are waaaaay to huge for me, but I still love them! She even included a catalog which is all in Japanese, but has cool pics of kimono and such, I love it! I have Tabi - Yay!!!!!!!

BTW, Tabi are japanese socks that have a separate big toe section, made to fit with their traditional wooden flip-flops. They buckle at the back of the ankle.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I am sorry, I just have to brag - I have Tabi! Our friend and favorite waitress at the local Sushi restaurant went to Japan to visit her family and she asked if there was anything that she could bring back for me. I asked that if it was convenient, that she bring back a pair of tabi for me. She did! They are waaaaay to huge for me, but I still love them! She even included a catalog which is all in Japanese, but has cool pics of kimono and such, I love it! I have Tabi - Yay!!!!!!!

BTW, Tabi are japanese socks that have a separate big toe section, made to fit with their traditional wooden flip-flops. They buckle at the back of the ankle.
I am glad you explained that! I thought Tabi was Japanese for cats!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I am glad you explained that! I thought Tabi was Japanese for cats!
Don't laugh, so did I!

Sounds awesome! Do they have a name for the shoes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have white - I think if they were this huge size and yellow, they would look like duck feet - appropriate since I am originally from Oregon!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, I'd love to have a pair of geta and tabi.
I also need a nice obi, I want it all for display though, to go with my 50 yr old wedding kimono.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! When I lived in Japan (my dad was in the Navy and we lived on the base), I saw some people wearing them. One of my friends had a cat named Tabi (a tabby, natch, although (for those who don't know Japanese) you pronounce Tabi as "tah bee", not "tab bee") and a Corgi dog named Geta.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a pair a few years ago when I had a 9 hour layover in Tokyo's airport, and they were surprisingly VERY comfortable. I have NO idea where they are now...they got lost in the shuffle of 3 moves since then. Now I'm kicking myself for not splurging on a kimono too!