TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I have Tabi!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have Tabi!!!!

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I am sorry, I just have to brag - I have Tabi! Our friend and favorite waitress at the local Sushi restaurant went to Japan to visit her family and she asked if there was anything that she could bring back for me. I asked that if it was convenient, that she bring back a pair of tabi for me. She did! They are waaaaay to huge for me, but I still love them! She even included a catalog which is all in Japanese, but has cool pics of kimono and such, I love it! I have Tabi - Yay!!!!!!!

BTW, Tabi are japanese socks that have a separate big toe section, made to fit with their traditional wooden flip-flops. They buckle at the back of the ankle.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
I am sorry, I just have to brag - I have Tabi! Our friend and favorite waitress at the local Sushi restaurant went to Japan to visit her family and she asked if there was anything that she could bring back for me. I asked that if it was convenient, that she bring back a pair of tabi for me. She did! They are waaaaay to huge for me, but I still love them! She even included a catalog which is all in Japanese, but has cool pics of kimono and such, I love it! I have Tabi - Yay!!!!!!!

BTW, Tabi are japanese socks that have a separate big toe section, made to fit with their traditional wooden flip-flops. They buckle at the back of the ankle.
I am glad you explained that! I thought Tabi was Japanese for cats!
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I am glad you explained that! I thought Tabi was Japanese for cats!
Don't laugh, so did I!


Sounds awesome! Do they have a name for the shoes?
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
sorry, here is the wiki link to explain better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
sorry, here is the wiki link to explain better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi
Looks like they come in white and black. Which color did you get?
I'd love to have a kimono!


Never mind, I just read that the men usually wear black or blue tabi
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have white - I think if they were this huge size and yellow, they would look like duck feet - appropriate since I am originally from Oregon!
post #7 of 12
lol, I thought you sad TAB like the soda, I was like "They must still have Tab there..."
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I am glad you explained that! I thought Tabi was Japanese for cats!
I was thinking a disease!!!
post #9 of 12
Oooh, I'd love to have a pair of geta and tabi.
I also need a nice obi, I want it all for display though, to go with my 50 yr old wedding kimono.
post #10 of 12
Very cool! D we get to see a pic of them on?
post #11 of 12
Cool! When I lived in Japan (my dad was in the Navy and we lived on the base), I saw some people wearing them. One of my friends had a cat named Tabi (a tabby, natch, although (for those who don't know Japanese) you pronounce Tabi as "tah bee", not "tab bee") and a Corgi dog named Geta.
post #12 of 12
I picked up a pair a few years ago when I had a 9 hour layover in Tokyo's airport, and they were surprisingly VERY comfortable. I have NO idea where they are now...they got lost in the shuffle of 3 moves since then. Now I'm kicking myself for not splurging on a kimono too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I have Tabi!!!!