My Gall Bladder surgery date

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to have Gall Bladder surgery on June 29th which means I can not show Cleo on July 3rd.
I also have to see the surgeon and the anesthesiologist on June 23rd.
Anyone know how long that I will not be able to pick up the cats?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple days, at least, with laproscopic surgery. But then you won't feel like doing so that first or second day anyways. I picked up my cats after the third day.

For the most part, take it easy and don't push yourself. Since you have some other issues with your health you may be a bit more tired/low energy from this surgery than someone else would be. So let yourself rest if you need it.

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to show Cleo. Had the show been 4-5 days later or surgery a few days sooner you could probably manage it.
But you need to be healthy so you can make it to future shows.

The biggest problem I had after surgery was Tomas. Normally he'll occasionally walk, stand on, or run across my belly when I'm laying down. But after surgery it seemed like that's all he was trying to do. I'd see him walk across the bed towards me and instantly cover my stomach!

that the surgery goes well, helps, and that you heal fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I am always tired and have no energy.
What were you allowed to eat after your surgery?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clear liquids or a soup like tomato soup for a couple days. Again, after that low to no fat is your best choice.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the timing.
But you need the surgery, so that all will go well and you'll feel so much better after it's taken care of!

Laurie

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all of you.
I can not eat tomato soup though because I get sick from it.
I am trying to stay away from anything with fat right now.
I do not want to go to teh ER again or tae the pain meds.
I hate them.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand that. It's a shame you have to wait until the 29th for the surgery. that you'll be ok until then.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That depends on the surgery, really. I'm presuming you're doing it laproscopically (or, at least, intending to do so). I was told not to lift more than 10 pounds for two weeks, but I did ignore that rule a lot...

As for food, I ate crackers and soup the first day and then moved on to real food. I didn't have much nausea after surgery because I'd asked for anti-nausea meds prior to surgery (as recommended by my doctor, my family history indicates HORRIBLE nausea following anesthesia.) I had a bit on day three, but kept eating real food. Do avoid anything too fatty, spicy, etc, as that can put increased stress on your system, which is adapting to no gall bladder.

Just take it easy and don't push yourself too hard... take the meds when you need them.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
It is suppose to be lapo but I have other problems also and am sccared it will be the other way.
I have influx disease and asthma also.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

It is suppose to be lapo but I have other problems also and am sccared it will be the other way.
I have influx disease and asthma also.
As far as I know, asthma won't affect what type of surgery you'll get, neither will reflux (GERD if that's what you mean).
I hope that lessens after the gallbladder is out. Even though I still have digestive issues that was one thing that pretty much completely went away.

I have other health issues, too, the dysautonomia which can affect several parts of the body but takes a main toll on my blood pressure and heart rate (I don't respond to things normally) - aside from my big blood pressure drop in surgery, it went fine. I still had a normal laproscopic surgery.

I had nausea and vomiting, too, but that was not from the anesthesia. It was the stupid percocets they gave me.

It's too bad tomato soup doesn't settle well for you. There's been times where that was the only thing I could eat without intense pain.
For others reading, the reason it's a good choice is because it has no fat at all.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im so sorry about the timing, i know you were real excited about showing your baby, but you will have other chances.

lotsa vibes your surgery goes well. My mom had that done and was up and running in a few days.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
It was Percocets I got in the er that I threw up.
I am hoping I will not have a attack before the surgery.
I can eat low fat split pea soup.
Did you stay in the hospital or come home the same day?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was Percocets I got in the er that I threw up.
I am hoping I will not have a attack before the surgery.
I can eat low fat split pea soup.[/color]
Did you stay in the hospital or come home the same day?
Eww, percs. Make sure to let them know that those are a no go for you and that needs to be included in your medical information. It's unfortunately a common side effect for many.

Glad you found something around the house to eat!

If you look back (I think it was this thread) I detailed what my day of surgery was like, with a rough time line.
But in short, surgery in the morning and out by mid afternoon. A month prior I had been stuck in the hospital for four days, so as soon as I was able to get out of there I was ready to jog out that door. I HATE being in the hospital.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look for your old posts.
I do not lie the Tylenol with Codeine either.
I throw it up also.
Did you get antibiotics after?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did you get antibiotics after?
Nope. They had those running in the IV during surgery. All I was sent home with was some percocets.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww, I just had a visual of you eating split pea soup and in my mind remembering the movie the exorcist!

I love low fat split pea soup and can't eat tomato because it's too acidy for me. I also don't like tylenol with codeine but it's the only pain meds, for me, that work.
Side note: My dad had his gall bladder removed laproscopically and he was out playing softball 6 days later
I think everyone heals a little differently depending on how healthy they are. But please do take it easy the first week!