Question of the Day - May 29th - Friday

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have an outside clothes line to dry clothes and do you use it?

I have one but I don't use it. I like soft fluffy smelly towels and clothes. IMO when I dry clothes outside they are stiff and really don't smell clean.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I dont have one, but growing up, my Grandma always put her sheets to dry outside and they always smelled soooooooooo fresh.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dont have a line, but i hate drying the stuff i wear cause the dryer always shrinks stuff, so ill hang my jeans and shirts over the shower bar lol. I used to have a drying rack but i need to get a new one cause the cats got into a "fight" with the last one.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No clothes line here. There are poles outside for them but only one was up and in a terrible place (right next to the shop building?!).

Currently my backyard is full of branches/trees we need to chip up.
It's not a large backyard and there were four cedar trees back there! No sun and very little airflow. I may put the line up back up later as I don't mind line drying clothes. It saves money and is a little gentler on clothes you don't want to wear out as fast. That and I have no idea how one is suppose to dry a king sized comforter? Not in a regular drier apparently.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do have a clothes line. Many people in our neighbourhood do and some actually use them. I don't, for the most part, although I'll sometimes put something out to dry before putting it in the hamper -- like Rob's socks when he's been walking on the beach. Maybe after I'm retired and no longer trying to piggyback one task on top of the other and have several loads done and dry in a few hours....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Maybe after I'm retired and no longer trying to piggyback one task on top of the other and have several loads done and dry in a few hours....
Depending on the weather and size of your line it can actually be faster to dry stuff outside. Of course here in western Oklahoma the humidity is almost always ridiculously low so the heat sucks moisture out of everything quickly!
I've had stuff hung up dry in 25-40 minutes opposed to my drier that takes closer to an hour.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Do you have an outside clothes line to dry clothes and do you use it?
Nope, I live in a townhome and although I have two balconies if I dared put clothes on the balcony, the HOA police would come down on me!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And no, they are not allowed in most RV parks.
Not to mention that we get such bad gusts here that a little clothespin will not save things from taking flight.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not allowed in our Subdivision, but I wouldn't have one anyway, I really don't like it, and I remember when my Mom used to put clothes out, I never liked the smell nor did I like the earwigs that stuck to the sheets/clothes

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Psst....it's the 29th

Just altered it

I have a washing line, but you won't see it in many pictures that i post of the kids in the conservatory, because after i've uses it it gets unhooked and tied back up out of sight.

I love looking out onto my garden, so the last thing i want to see is a line draped across the lawn
My fabric softener smells lush on it though

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment, so no, but I wouldn't have one anyways. Unless there is a wind blowing, things come out all stiff and rough. I hate that!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Unless there is a wind blowing, things come out all stiff and rough. I hate that!
Really?. I've never had that problem at all. Whether it's because of the fabric softener i use i don't know, but i know theres hardly any creases in either for when i iron them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Just altered it

I have a washing line, but you won't see it in many pictures that i post of the kids in the conservatory, because after i've uses it it gets unhooked and tied back up out of sight.

I love looking out onto my garden, so the last thing i want to see is a line draped across the lawn
My fabric softener smells lush on it though
Wow! Susan you actually take it up and down after each use! Cool!! You are one organized woman! My hero!

When we first moved into our house there was a wooden clothes line but it was cemented in the ground. No taking it up or down when needed.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Wow! Susan you actually take it up and down after each use! Cool!! You are one organized woman! My hero!
Yes, it's something similar to this in the link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...01AE1WE8364062

It's attached to one side of the fence, then i just pull it along and hook it on a large hook on the fence at the bottom of the garden

Originally Posted by CoolCat

Yep but in the Back yard and is only put it on saturdays usual....
all week dissapear...
Once a week is the same as me Rigel
I usually put the machine on when i get up for work on a friday, then hang it out before i leave, and by the time i come home in the afternoon it's dry and the line goes back

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to when I was a kid, but that fresh smell disappeared after a power plant was built a couple of miles to the south. And it's was about the time Mom went back to work after I started school. Then we used it occasionally to air things out at times.

It also made a great playplace when there sheets drying.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in an apartment, so sadly, no.
I love the smell of line-dried clothes, though! If I had a house of my own, I'd have a clothes line, you betcha!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one but I don't use it. I like soft fluffy smelly towels and clothes. IMO when I dry clothes outside they are stiff and really don't smell clean
That sounds like me. I used to dry clothes outside occasionally but they always smelled awful afterwards. I live 5 blocks from the river, which means 5 blocks from a few factories. The smell from their smokestacks must have been infiltrating my clothes. Now I just use the clothes line to hang wind chimes on