Am I being ridiculous?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking to myself that when I leave in 2 and a half weeks, it might be my last time seeing my dog ever. He's so old now, turning either 17 or 18 in 2 months, and his health is so iffy, that there is a decent chance that after I've left, at some point I will get a phone call from my family saying that he's gone.

I can't take him with me. The stress from the move would kill him for sure at his age. He is still relatively happy, albeit blind and deaf - so leaving him here makes sense.

I just really get upset at the idea that in 2 weeks when I leave, that might be the last time I get to see him, pet him, etc.

Is that ridiculous? My family thinks it's ridiculous. They say he's just a dog. That's true. He's been with me for nearly 70% of my life though.

I just don't know if my feeling upset is an overreaction. There's obviously nothing I can do about the situation.

ETA: I think I need to create a new sig with him in it. I left him out b/c this is a cat site, but I think I'll put him in it anyways.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame on them for saying he's "just a dog"! He is a member of your family! It's not ridiculous at all!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not ridiculous! I always had those feelings when I would leave home to go back to college after breaks. My dog was old, and had a lot of health problems, and I was always afraid it would be the last time I saw her. I saw her born, and I grew up with her. She was definitely my baby. It's been almost 3 years, and I still miss her to this day.

to you. I know how you're feeling.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello? You're talking to animal lovers here? Your family are the ones that are nuts - he's been with ALL of you his entire life! He a friend and a companion, and a MEMBER of the family! Of COURSE you don't want anything to happen to him and you want to see him again!

Laurie

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG My dog was as much a part of me as my skin or my feet... You are at a place of animal lovers so please feel free to include your doggy!

Lots of healthy for your pooch!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not ridiculous at all. I dunno though, I feel the same way when I go see my grandparents who live away from me because I have an 85 year old grandmother and a really sick grandfather. What can you do? I try not to think of it that way...I try to tell myself even if I had a 20 year old cousin and I go visit, it could still be the last time I see him/her because life is so unpredictable. Maybe you should brighten up a little because thinking in those terms can make you depressed quickly...At least when I think this way I tell myself to make those thoughts go away.
My parents always tell me when I lose an animal to think of it this way, it could have been worse I could have lost a loved person so- they tell me don't mourn too much because you're provoking fate. My parents are extremely superstitious but that sounds kind of like your parents telling you that he's just a dog. They've probably seen a lot more saddness than losing a pet and have a different perspective than you. But in any case of course it's tragic and sad when you lose a pet and the fact that it's just an animal doesn't make it trivial or unimportant.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto to everything that's been said here - not silly in the least. He was your pal, companion, confidant, and probably understands you better than your own flesh and blood!

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no, no, no! Not ridiculous at all! My daughter went away to school and while she was gone we had to help her elderly dog over the bridge. It was hard for everyone, but she said it was a little easier for her knowing that the last time they were together that Birdie was happy. Just love your dog with all your might these last two weeks before you go, that's the best you can do.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only seen/heard my father cry twice in my life. The first time was when he had to call me (and my mother, who was staying with me at the time when she was getting ongoing medical treatment where I lived) to tell me that our dog...his dog, his buddy...Felicia had to be put down. The second time was when my mother passed. Of course, Felicia had to be put down because of cancer, which is what Mom was being treated for which is likely a big contributing factor. But regardless, Felicia was his buddy and his best friend and he still gets a little tear in his eye when we talk about her.

That's just to say that a dog is not "just a dog". He's been your friend, your buddy, a member of your family for most of your life. I think you'd be pretty heartless to not be upset about the possibility that you won't see him again.

Love him and spend time with him (and your family
) for the next two weeks, so if the time comes before you see him again you know in your heart of hearts that he knows how much you love him, and you'll have good memories of what could be the last period of time you can spend together.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above comments, shame on your parents for saying "he's just a dog", especially if it is to comfort you.

Originally Posted by badgeygirl

no, no, no! Not ridiculous at all! My daughter went away to school and while she was gone we had to help her elderly dog over the bridge. It was hard for everyone, but she said it was a little easier for her knowing that the last time they were together that Birdie was happy. Just love your dog with all your might these last two weeks before you go, that's the best you can do.
If I was in your shoes, this would be the response I would want to hear......

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

It's not ridiculous at all. I dunno though, I feel the same way when I go see my grandparents who live away from me because I have an 85 year old grandmother and a really sick grandfather.
ut0pia -I feel the same way every time I come back Brazil... My grandma is 96, and my grandpa, also quite ill for a while, 95... That is the first thing I thought about when I read the OP post...

Lawguy, that is not a ridiculous feeling at all... When I moved here the one "person" I was the saddest to leave behind was my cat Sebastiao. I gave him to the person that would love him the most, a friend of the family, as I knew he would receive more love in there than with my dad and sister... I knew I wouldn't see him again, that was the worst feeling ever! I cried so much when I hugged him for the last time... I still think of him, and sometimes I miss him, and it has been 13 years!
Hang in there... Enjoy every moment you have with him; hug him a lot, spoil him rotten...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not being ridiculous...your dog was a loving friend to you through most of your life. I'd be more worried if you weren't feeling concerned. Besides, in practical terms, he's a huge symbol of a life you're transitioning from - your childhood and early youth - and now he probably won't be around to be part of your maturing life. Of course he's going to leave a huge hole in your life when he passes - but try to remember that you love him enough to give him the best, most comfortable home in these later days of his life.

Please post a picture of your boy - I think we'd all love to see him.

You have a good heart, along with a wonderful mind. Never doubt yourself, or the value you're adding to this world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've decided to just block it from my mind until the week I leave. There's nothing I can do about it. Worrying about it won't make a difference.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late to this thread, but I just have to reiterate:

NO, you are not being ridiculous! Your love for your dog, and your sorrow at having to leave him, are just proof that your heart is in the right place and working perfectly. Give your dog the best goodbye ever, just in case... but I hope you'll repeat that goodbye many, many times before it's for real.

And YES, please add your beloved dog to your signature! He deserves the honor! And besides, most of us love dogs, too... and all other critters, great and small.