Cats and reflections

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Danny is currently going nuts over a reflection coming from the peep hole in my front door. He's been sitting there for 5 minutes meowing at it trying to jump up. He's only quiet when I hold him up to it,

Also, I have a vanity mirror right across from my bed, so when Harvey sits on the bed each night he sees this mysterious "other cat" across the room. He talks and talks. You would have thought he would have gotten the picture by now!!

How about your babies? Do they go gaga over shiny things and mirrors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LynneNY

I was always told that cats can't see reflections in mirrors?
Well then Harvey's just plain batty!!
I've never heard that.

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The day Nefertiti came home she ran into my bedroom I have a big long mirror propped agaisnt the wall. She scampered in and paused and stared in shock horror at the other little black fur ball in the glass. I think she must have been thinking, "Oh no, not another cat in this house!!!" and then she started hissing at her reflection for about five minutes till she got bored.
She hasn't done it since though still very funny.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
chase shadows. They will jump up on the wall to chase the shadow of anothers tail! I also hang a prism in the window and the afternoon sun makes lights go all over the room when I move it. It gets them pretty wild. Also, I hung an old CD which catches the sun too. Only problem is I have to go in and swing it every few minutes. Dinner is usually late!!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most animals will either ignore reflections in the mirror or will think it is another animal.

Dolphins, elephants, and a few of the higher apes (and humans, of course) will recognize that it is a reflection of themselves.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

How cute is that!

Mine don't mind mirrors at all.
Here too..Trout doens't even notice mirrors. Even if I hold her right up to it. Its like she doesn't see it, or she knows its herself. I don't know!

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i cant get a reaction out of my guys, and yes i tried lol. ill pick them up and hold them next to me and look in the mirror with them but its like they don't really acknowledge it, they will glance in the mirror then turn away and look at me and look at everything else, so either they totally know what it is and don't care, or they have no clu.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley doesn't pay attention to his reflection in the mirror. If I hold him up close to it, he will deliberately look away and refuse to acknowledge the "other cat"