Polydactyl breeders

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a little confused. I ran across a site for a breeder of Polydactyl cats. Is this really a breed? They were charging $150 for what looked like Domestic cats with extra toes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Polydactyl's show up in some breeds like Main Coons but I don't think they can be shown with the extra toes.

They are not a breed unto themselves, sadly just another person trying to make money.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of right now, no association recognizes them as a "breed". They are still a mutation and those that claim otherwise are trying to rip people off.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Polydactyl's show up in some breeds like Main Coons but I don't think they can be shown with the extra toes.
Polytactyl Maine Coons can be shown here in New Zealand with the NZCF!!! I've judged one too!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The polydactyl trait can show up in any type of cat and it is not limited to Maine Coons. I had a red/white feral kitten with extra toes and there are a number of folks on this site that have them in all colors and sizes.

I agree with others - they are just trying to make an extra buck. That's a shame.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephew told me his girlfriend's mother breeds purebred polydactyl cats. I told him they aren't a breed.
He said she makes a lot of money breeding them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen many polys in the HHP classes over the year. Because they can occur in any "breed" or mixed breed cat and there are no written standards, you can't have a purebred poly.

Sad that people make money from mixed bred cats and tell people they are a special breed.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! That's just makes me so mad! People purposely breeding mixed breed cats. Makes me want to cry, when I can step on my on front porch and there are ten (at least) homeless mixed breed cats.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 kittens from 2 seperate litters right now that are polydactyl
and unfortunately it does make me have to screen potential adopters harder because they do tend to think it some kind of breed
and I want to make sure people love the cat and not the fact the cat is different
People will do anything for money

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added note: Some people have a hard time trimming nails to start with - adding extra nails is even worse. And the extra nails sometimes are "double" thickness, etc. and harder to cut then normal nails.

Then you have the declawing..........

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have at least 8 polydactyly kittens, and one adult. We charge $100 for the kittens, but that's to cover the alter and shots and its the same adoption fee as all the other kittens.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Added note: Some people have a hard time trimming nails to start with - adding extra nails is even worse. And the extra nails sometimes are "double" thickness, etc. and harder to cut then normal nails.

Then you have the declawing..........
... makes you wonder why people would intentionally breed polydactyl cats to start off with. Are deformed paws really that cute?

@breellablue- good luck with re- homing all thoses paws

regards,

christine

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO not really. Its ok for a HHP mixed breed, but to breed it on purpose - why???? Doesn't make the cat any different then to have extra toes. I can see what might happen if they would get in the hands of backyard breeders if made into a "breed". You don't even have a standard on body/head types, - only the fact it has extra toes.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

... makes you wonder why people would intentionally breed polydactyl cats to start off with. Are deformed paws really that cute?
They are. They are also annoying. They can slide open the catch on the cage doors! I have to litterally LOCK the cages when they're away.

They can also grip toys better... and fingers. It's adorable IMO but I understand what you mean, there are many domestic cats who need homes.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

They are. They are also annoying. They can slide open the catch on the cage doors! I have to litterally LOCK the cages when they're away.

They can also grip toys better... and fingers. It's adorable IMO but I understand what you mean, there are many domestic cats who need homes.
I have a Mama cat that can open the cage door
and she is practicing opening the regular doors
She is a complete sweetie though

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

The polydactyl trait can show up in any type of cat and it is not limited to Maine Coons.
Which is why I said like MC's, an example not exclusive to.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure do hope people are interested in them 1/3 of my current kitten stock from the spring rescues are poly's.

but you guys are right, they shouldn't be a breed. They have so many different facial and body features I don't understand how someone could pass them off as a specific breed.