Tomatoes!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been having heavy rain in NC on and off for a few days now. I went out to the garden today and I have a tomato! I am so excited!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I make fried green tomatoes, but it's hard to make that sarafice before I start getting a bunch of red ones. It's not an option now anyway, since there's only the one. I thinned my radishes and the discards are taking root where I threw them. We have had 20 days of rain in NC this month. My garden is going wild.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rain is good for the garden! It's amazing just how quickly plants respond to rain and humidity.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats! I have 5 tomato plants. 1 roman, 1 cherry, 2 big boys and something else but I can't think of what it is.

There are 27 tomatoes on my cherry plant and about 4 or 5 on each of the others.

This morning I did a little weeding and my squash are almost 3 inches long. No cucumbers yet though. My lemons and lime trees are full of little bitty balls.

I think I might try radishes next year.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't even planted our tomatoes yet.

The little seedlings are going in the ground this weekend.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We only do cherry tomatoes now -- Sweet 100s -- Garden Candy.
The seedlings (6 of them) went into their tubs a couple of weeks ago, and are getting fat and sassy, but aren't ready to produce yet. It'll be a few weeks. I can't wait.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided this year not to do tomatoes.

Me and hubby are the only ones that eat them, and I am very very picky on the ripeness of my tomato. I could never seem to get them the way I wanted.

Each yr I've been planting less and less. The one year was good because I peeled and froze them, to use in soups/chili...

but this yr, no tomotoes. I figure that for the amount we eat, and my pickiness, they are just as cheap when in season to buy at the store.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Is it too late to plant one in a bucket?
depends on your location

I could plant one between now and a couple weeks from now if I wanted to....(the rest of my garden went in last weekend, including green pepper plants...the rest were seeds)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

We only do cherry tomatoes now -- Sweet 100s -- Garden Candy.
The seedlings (6 of them) went into their tubs a couple of weeks ago, and are getting fat and sassy, but aren't ready to produce yet. It'll be a few weeks. I can't wait.
We grow those every year. They certainly produce, don't they?
I've also planted Roma tomatoes and these:

http://store.tomatofest.com/Japanese..._p/tf-0267.htm

They just looked too strange to pass up.

We only have flowers on our plants at this point. We won't see tomatoes for quite a while.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

They do, indeed! And we pig out.

We only have flowers on our plants at this point. We won't see tomatoes for quite a while.
Oh, those are strange looking! We're not adventurous anymore. When we first starting growing tomatoes, we tried several varieties, with mixed success. I used to really like Romas, but they never performed for us in the garden. But the Sweet 100s always performed, so we've just settled on them. We're so spoiled by the hydroponic Camparis that I just buy those when I want something larger than the cherry varieties.

Here I am talking like the gardener, when the sum total of my effort is acquiring the stock, and then harvesting.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give you all a lot of credit, I could not be responsible for a garden, I can barely water my flowers
I do go to the Farmer's market here, there is nothing like home grown veggies, and I love tomatoes

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We bought Better Boys (because they're so easy), Jet Star, and Grape tomatoes. I also bought one plant without a tag on it, so I don't know what kind it is. I like surprises

And it is raining yet again in NC. This must be some kind of record!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, my tomatoes are doing goooood too! I have Better Boys, Romas, and some grape romas too! I only have 6ish quarter sized tomatoes right now-all of those are Better Boys. I am loving this rain too-less I have to water everything!

It's really neat too see them grow though!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm jealous that so many of you have tomatoes already!
I started mine from seeds (I bought two different kinds, one packet of best in show tomatoes (so a variety) and one packet of something else that was a variety) so I'll have all sorts of yummy kinds and colors but they're only about an inch or two high right now!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I like the black tomatoes, too. I didn't plant any this year...I've had a little less success with the heirlooms. But I think they're so neat. I am also considering buying a Mr. Stripey. (If I can find someplace to put him!) He would produce big yellow tomatoes with red stripes. I've tried growing one before, but it didn't work out. I think that was the year we had a hailstorm...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise