Back from vet - Bugsy's gingivitis update

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are back from the vet with excellent news!
Bugsy has had "remarkable improvement" on his gum/gingivitis; words quoted from the vet himself!

He asked me what I have been doing, and I told him that for the last two months he has been getting daily:

500mg L-Lysine
1 capsule of Transfer Factor
1/4 TSP Holistic Solution
For last 3 weeks: non-chicken food (might be unrelated, but...)

He told me to go ahead and add CoQ10 to his diet, and "keep up the good work" and we just might buy him a lot of time before he need surgery!
His gum still has the very red line around the teeth, but are no longer bleeding or swollen, and he also doesn't have bad breath anymore

He asked me where I had learned all this stuff, and I told him through research in the cat site... I thought he was going to say "bad girl", but he said "sure, I know that site - it's a great one", and again congratulated me for his remarkable improvement....

I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
Bugsy is finally getting to be a healthy cat!

Thank you cat site members for all the info I get here daily.... It's invaluable!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats very good news! I am glad it is all working out for you and Bugsy.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great!

I don't recall ever seeing a suggestion to use those items to treat gingivitis though. Did you start adding them to his diet specifically to treat gingivitis?

Where do you get the Transfer Factor and what brand do you use?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found one of your old posts. His gingivitis is a result of his immune problems hence the l-lysine and transfer factor.

I wonder if they would help with gingivitis but no immune problems?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

That's great!

I don't recall ever seeing a suggestion to use those items to treat gingivitis though. Did you start adding them to his diet specifically to treat gingivitis?

Where do you get the Transfer Factor and what brand do you use?
Hi there - Please note that I am not a vet, and as such, I am not suggesting the following or any part of this post as a treatment. This is merely a report of what has worked for MY cat Bugsy. Please consult your vet before you add any supplements/treatments to your cat routine.
The Holistic Solution is for digestion in general - it's a pre/pro-biotic and digestive enzymes; not necessarily for Gingivitis, but: Studies show that a Lot of the cat's immune system comes from a healthy digestive tract and gut, which is why it might be helping to strengthen him to fight it on his own.

The L-Lysine is another immune system booster for cats.

There have been suggestions of using colostrum, and Transfer Factor is the strongest, newest "technology"/ version of Colostrum supplement - only way "souped up". In humans, it claims to increase the immune system over 450 times. Here is what/where I get it.

There is also the belief that food allergies can be a factor in gingivitis; that's why I mentioned it. (I had members tell me to rule out food allergies before doing anything drastic in re. to the gingivitis - since he showed symptoms of food allergies, by elimination and more research in this site, I got to the conclusion it was the chicken, and so removed it from his diet).

There have been several suggestions about the use of CoQ10 for gingivitis, so I am adding that to the mix, after consulting with my vet; which I did today.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just found one of your old posts. His gingivitis is a result of his immune problems hence the l-lysine and transfer factor.

I wonder if they would help with gingivitis but no immune problems?
The beauty of the Transfer factor is that it is an Immune-regulator; so it will not cause harm in case you actually need to decrease your immune response to something - which is the reason I believe it helped with the inflammation...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco has had gingivitis since she was a kitten. She has already been on Holistic Solution for a couple of years for a digestion problem and it alone didn't do anything for her gingivitis. I've been thinking of trying Transfer Factor. Even if it doesn't help her gingivitis maybe it will help protect her against the consequences of gingivitis.

I'll look into using L-lysine also.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Bugsy is doing *so* much better!

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Hi there - Please note that I am not a vet, and as such, I am not suggesting the following or any part of this post as a treatment. This is merely a report of what has worked for MY cat Bugsy. Please consult your vet before you add any supplements/treatments to your cat routine.
The Holistic Solution is for digestion in general - it's a pre/pro-biotic and digestive enzymes; not necessarily for Gingivitis, but: Studies show that a Lot of the cat's immune system comes from a healthy digestive tract and gut, which is why it might be helping to strengthen him to fight it on his own.

The L-Lysine is another immune system booster for cats.

There have been suggestions of using colostrum, and Transfer Factor is the strongest, newest "technology"/ version of Colostrum supplement - only way "souped up". In humans, it claims to increase the immune system over 450 times. Here is what/where I get it.

There is also the belief that food allergies can be a factor in gingivitis; that's why I mentioned it. (I had members tell me to rule out food allergies before doing anything drastic in re. to the gingivitis - since he showed symptoms of food allergies, by elimination and more research in this site, I got to the conclusion it was the chicken, and so removed it from his diet).

There have been several suggestions about the use of CoQ10 for gingivitis, so I am adding that to the mix, after consulting with my vet; which I did today.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrates, I was lucky Zoeys is all allergic and so diet and some supplements "fixed" hers ...

LLysine helps a wide array of issues , talk with your VET

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Coco has had gingivitis since she was a kitten. She has already been on Holistic Solution for a couple of years for a digestion problem and it alone didn't do anything for her gingivitis. I've been thinking of trying Transfer Factor. Even if it doesn't help her gingivitis maybe it will help protect her against the consequences of gingivitis.

I'll look into using L-lysine also.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Bugsy is doing *so* much better!
He really is!
Listen, I think in the end it is a combination of all these things that are working for him, not one thing by itself... Isn't it interesting though, that both of our cat have gingivitis AND digestive problems?? See,that's where I think that the "Holistic" approach (of treating the whole) works on these cases... I would advise researching about CoQ10 - apparently it can be very helpful for it too

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

He really is!
Listen, I think in the end it is a combination of all these things that are working for him, not one thing by itself... Isn't it interesting though, that both of our cat have gingivitis AND digestive problems?? See,that's where I think that the "Holistic" approach (of treating the whole) works on these cases... I would advise researching about CoQ10 - apparently it can be very helpful for it too
It's shocking to me how many cats have digestive problems.

I'll look into the CoQ10 also.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay, Bugsy!

Both Tofu and my dog takes CoQ10, mainly for oral health (also helps with cardiovascular health). Many pet owners I know have seen improvements and/or decreases in tartar in their pets' teeth after starting CoQ10. Of course, best to consult with your vet before doing anything.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy for you and Bugsy!

And thank you so much for posting what you've done to improve his gingivitis. I'm working on getting it under control for one of my kitties and just knowing what works for others is a great help.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Bamf might have gingivitis. I know he has digestive trouble, and perhaps it is related. I will keep this stuff in mind when I next speak to my vet!