Hiking and Picnic food – Advice please!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I are very boring and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t go out much LOL. Our days consist of working, watching TV and playing WoW. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s our personality and we like it that way but we decided this summer we need a change. We wanted to get active, but take up a hobby that involves Bruno because he is such a good boy. Here in New Brunswick we have some really amazing trails, so we decided once or twice a month we are going to go hiking and our goal is to work up to an 8 hour trail.

We would like to hike one way, then sit and eat lunch then hike back. I keep trying to think of things to make for lunch but everything I think of needs to be refrigerated. I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t had a picnic or gone hiking in years! I cant even remember what we ate.

Thanks guys!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually make fried chicken legs the night before and you could put it in a plastic ziplock back and then into a bit of a larger bag with ice to keep it cool for the 3-4 hours before you are probably going to eat it. When I do a picnic I usually do potato salad and that sort of thing but you don't want that in a packpack type picnic. What about just salad greens and some oil/vinegar type dressing that won't spoil for the few hours before eating? For dessert, there's always cookies or banana bread. If it's only a day trip the most the food will need "cooling" is about 4 hours before you eat it so I wouldn't worry too much. A few ice cubes in a plastic bag would solve that problem.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When DH and I go hiking, we munch on trail mix, jerky, and if we are really ambitious, will make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bring a bag of chips. And get jugs for water or gaterade.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

When DH and I go hiking, we munch on trail mix, jerky, and if we are really ambitious, will make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bring a bag of chips. And get jugs for water or gaterade.
This sounds like us! We tend to take long trips, even over nighters, and we can't make the PB&J before hand (or don't, anyway...
), so we make it on the trail. And, we usually use bagels, which also double as breakfast!

For trail mix, we like to make our own. Just buy a bag of nuts, any type you like, bag of dried fruit, any type you like, and we add M&Ms (usually peanut butter flavored for me!). It's way yummier and better priced than most any pre made stuff!

Depending on how long you are gone, sliced apples very lightly coated in lemon juice (to keep them from turning brown) and / or carrots and celery or the like are healthy alternatives.

Hope you do get out and have a great time! If nothing else, Bruno will LOVE it!
And don't forget water for him, too!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is an old Girl Scout recipe but has served me well. You can mix equal parts of each or more of what you like. Cheerio type cereal (regular or honey nut flavor), rasins (or any dried fruit), dry roasted peanuts and M & M candy (any variety).

We would core an apple and stuff it with creamy or chunky peanut butter. Easy to eat on the trail.

To me, the pocket type pita bread is easier on a hike. Regular bread always gets smushed in the back pack. Peanut butter and jelly was our fav. Good energy.

If you are hiking with extra bottled water in your back pack, slightly freeze the bottled water and place your perishable items next to it to keep cool. That way the slightly frozen water will be just right to drink on the way back.

Have fun !