Question Of The Day - Wednesday, May 27th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
I am back, after having issues with my back. It's feeling a little better, but more rest is definetely needed!

Here's today's Question Of The Day...

For trash pick-up, do you use plastic trash bags or durable plastic trash bins? Does your town participate in curbside recycling?

I use plastic bags, but I'm thinking about getting some of those big trash bins with wheels. I can't put my trash out at the road the night before, because the racoons or crows get into it, and make a huge mess of it! My town has curbside recycling, but there's been rumors that t hey are going to discontinue it. I know I should use it, but I don't.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For rubbish we have a "wheelie bin" which is emptied once a week on a Tuesday. We have 7-8 people living with us so it's quite a big one and it does get quite full. We put it out on Monday night, which I normally let Mum do because her dog poops on the path that we need to wheel it out on!

We don't recycle although there is kerbside recycling available to us. I went hard at it for a year but they kept refusing to take my recycling for stupid reasons so I can't be bothered anymore. Also they gave us stupid little bins and half the time it would blow away (I live in windy Wellington of course!)

Cool topic!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use plastic trash bags and have big plastic tubs for recycling. Trash bags are required to have bright orange stickers on them---one sticker for a 13 gallon and under bag, 2 stickers for the larger bags. The stickers cost 50 cents each.
The income from the trash sticker program funds the recycling program (supposedly).
A homeowner has the choice to hire a private trash hauler.
I'm just tickled that we have a recycling program. I fill my bin to overflowing every week.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The city has the big green wheelie bins that we put our trash in and is emptied once a week. They do recycling, but it seems my apartment complex doesn't participate because we have no recycle bins.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use plastic trash bags and have blue boxes for recyclables

We have to pay for our garbage...we buy garbage tags which get stuck to the bag. $1.50/bag. (this is on top of what we pay in taxes for garbage).

It does encourage alot of people to recycle more.

I also have 2 compost bins.... so for the most part, we put out 1 bag per week... unless I'm cleaning snake bins, then we have 2 bags.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a large trash bin that is for the whole building that is only for non-recyclables. We have blue boxes for plastics and glass, and also green boxes for fiber, and newspapers. The town is very green oriented and offers several different areas to drop off compostable items as well.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the biodegradable plastic t-shirt bags by the case, I use them for my trash, my cat litter and picking up dog poop.

I also try to remember to take a few with me for grocery shopping, though usually groceries just go straight to the car without a bag and directly into the ice chest.

The park has 4 large dumpsters that are emptied 4x a week.

We do our own recycling and take it all to the local recycler when we have a pickup load.

Needles CA is not at all a green town, but being Seattlites, recycling has been ingrained in us for many, many years.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to pay for waste hauling quarterly. The company is pretty liberal on what we can set at the edge of the driveway. Most times I only have one bag (biodegradeable). But lately I've had to wheel the garbage can to the driveway. They will take larger stuff like carpeting for instance forbut want to be called first. If we had lot we would haul to local landfill ourselves and pay the tipping fee (based on weight). Most times one can set stuff at the end of driveway put a sign "free" and stuff will disappear!

We have recycling pick up every other week and later this year we are going to "single stream" where we can mix the glass/plastic/metal and paper but to me thats a bit messy so I'll keep the paper sorted out.

Most food waste goes in compost bins. Aluminum cans and other salvagable metals I drop off at local salvage yard. Some metals they don't pay very much for but that's ok as they still will take them.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our apartment building has a large dumpster that gets emptied once a fortnight.
And we have three large blue bins for various recyclables.
Our town has a compost collecting scheme where people put out little green bins filled with approved compostable stuff (like cat litter, vege peels, tissues etc) and that seems to be popular and no doubt reduces the amount of throw away trash.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to pay for waste management, usually every two months (I also do property management in the same area that uses the same company, and large accounts have to pay every month).

For our house, we have one medium size brown wheeled bin for garbage, a large blue one for recycling, and large green one for green waste. So yes, they make us keep three large wheeled bins in our itty bitty backyard!

We take all three bins, if not empty, out to the driveway once a week.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every home is issued with wheelie bins by their local council like this one

https://www.totalofficesupplies.co.u...ges/017706.jpg

Different areas have different colours, but ours are dark green for household rubbish such as food waste, glass etc.., and a blue one to recycle plastic bottles and paper.

The green bin will get emptied one week, and the blue the following

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have trash pick up.the dump about 1 1/2 miles from us and we take our own.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay for waste management and supply my own green medium size wheelie bin. I also supply my own blue medium size wheelie for yard waste and had to buy a large sticker for the front of it, the recycle people won't pick it up without it. The city supplies a large blue wheelie bin for recyclables. 3 wheelie bins every Monday morning and in the fall it's 3 plus usually 3 or 4 yard waste paper bags of leaves. Years ago I had 2 seperate recyling bins - one for paper and one for everything else but now it's all 1 large bin.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

For trash pick-up, do you use plastic trash bags or durable plastic trash bins? Does your town participate in curbside recycling?
I use plastic bag trash....usually
And separ in some bottles as
Innorganic & Organic the trash....

Sometime we use to keep the alumn cans and next is sell it when is a big bag...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The City provides (at a small annual cost to the property owner) wheelie bins of various sizes (cost proportionate to size) -- one for yard waste, one for general garbage. We also have blue boxes for glass, plastic and small metal recycling, blue bags for newspaper, yellow bags for other "mixed" paper. Pickup is once a week for everything except yard waste, which varies depending on seasonal need.

They don't pick up anything that isn't in the authorized containers.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live outside of the city limits so we don't get free trash pick up at our house. My husband has a big dumpster at his work (he owns his own company) and he either takes our garbage there and puts it in the dumpster, or he just takes it straight to the dump. We do have a big plastic garbage can on wheels (the "wheelie bins" everyone is talking about), but we don't use it. We just put it in black drawstring garbage bags which are easier to transport in my husband's jeep.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have a private hauler where we live and they dont have recycling pick up. I found a place where i can drop off a bunch of recyclable stuff so im going to start doing that.

but we use the plastic trash bags.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have trash bags, and then put them in the 33 gallon durable plastic trash can outside to await going to the dump. We dont have trash pickup (unless you want to pay extra, and even then I doubt they would come down our small street) so we go to the dump thats about a mile away. We also do our recycling there.