Katzenflocken?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I was at a local health food store today and on my way out I noticed that they have Solid Gold Katzenflocken food. Does anybody use this? Any opinions on the quality?

I've been feeding TOTW, but I have to either order it online and pay shipping or else drive 35 miles to the nearest store that carries it. The katzenflocken costs a little more for a 15# bag, but it only takes 5 minutes to walk to the store.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very grainy .. VERY VERY low in fat ... not too high in the fatty acids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I was kind of hoping I could find something to buy closer to home, but I guess I'll stick with what I've got for now.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Very grainy .. VERY VERY low in fat ... not too high in the fatty acids
Interesting. I have fed it in the past & my cats liked it. I have it mixed 50/50 with taste of the wild right now. I wouldn't mind switching to all TOTW, but in the past 100% grain free was too rich for thier tummies. Maybe the combo will be a good mix for them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Interesting. I have fed it in the past & my cats liked it. I have it mixed 50/50 with taste of the wild right now. I wouldn't mind switching to all TOTW, but in the past 100% grain free was too rich for thier tummies. Maybe the combo will be a good mix for them.
IMHO 50/50 would be good then you are getting about 37% protein and 15% fat combined

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

IMHO 50/50 would be good then you are getting about 37% protein and 15% fat combined
Maybe I'll just get a small bag and try mixing it. I've been thinking that feeding straight TOTW might not be so good. Miss Patchwillow's fur is very shiny and she doesn't shed nearly as much as before, but she also throws up more often. Shareena's fur is not quite as shiny and she occasionally looks like she has dandruff. Goldy is very skinny, I'm not sure she's getting enough to eat. That could be because she doesn't really like the food, or because the other kitties push her out of the way when they want to eat. Iris and Cali are both doing great on TOTW.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Maybe I'll just get a small bag and try mixing it. I've been thinking that feeding straight TOTW might not be so good. Miss Patchwillow's fur is very shiny and she doesn't shed nearly as much as before, but she also throws up more often. Shareena's fur is not quite as shiny and she occasionally looks like she has dandruff. Goldy is very skinny, I'm not sure she's getting enough to eat. That could be because she doesn't really like the food, or because the other kitties push her out of the way when they want to eat. Iris and Cali are both doing great on TOTW.
I find it really hard to find the right combination for my 4. The boys aren't that picky about what they eat, but Isaac tends to get loose stool & Jordan constipation from the wrong foods & Her Royal Highness Princess Picky Pants, well the name says it all.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed Katznflocken to Bodhi and Siddha when I first brought Siddha home. I needed an all-stages food and it looked good. Bodhi did wonderfully on it, soft shiny coat, no hairballs or potty issues, etc. But Siddha had loose stools that went on for 6 weeks that would NOT resolve. I finally had to switch them to California Natural and Siddha's poop problems went away.

Isn't it crazy how our kitties can be so different with foods! Maybe your kitties will do well on a mix of it!