Do you use PA libraries? Then please read this...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all,

(I posted this on another forum. I work in a Pennsylvania library.)

I usually don't ask for this sort of thing publically, but I feel I should...as I work in a PA library; the staff and patrons have be asked to write, call, or visit their representatives about this.

The GOP are proposing (and are very close to obtaining) a 53% cut in state funding for all PA libraries. This will mean at least $5-50 million in cuts for us. Many libraries would be in danger of closing for good, if this passes. This will also affect our state library in Harrisburg, who are already saying that perhaps at least 50% of their staff will be cut.

Many of my district libraries have seen a surge in circulation rates since the economy has worsened. That's to be expected; in times of economic crisis, libraries tend to have many more users.

If libraries in Pennsylvania have touched your life in some way, please, please take the time to protest this proposal. Libraries are a vital part of our society. We can't afford to lose them.

I can't seem to post the url, but if you search "Daily Local News West Chester, PA", and scroll down the front page, you will see the article.

Thank you very much!

MargeCat

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not in the US, so I don't know that I can physically do anything, but as a fellow librarian, I can tell you that we've been following the issues facing PA system and what's happening to you all at work. Tons of prayers and that this does not come to pass and that politicians wake up and realise that libraries are an essential service, especially in times of economic turmoil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

I'm not in the US, so I don't know that I can physically do anything, but as a fellow librarian, I can tell you that we've been following the issues facing PA system and what's happening to you all at work. Tons of prayers and that this does not come to pass and that politicians wake up and realise that libraries are an essential service, especially in times of economic turmoil.
Libraries are always one of the 1st things the govt. cuts budgeting for. I hope your library system is doing o.k.! Libraries are one of the most important things in our culture. Now, if we could just get the politicians to understand that...yeah, right!