Is it true?

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told that male neutered cats are more affectionate than spayed female cats? And also i was told orange cats, particularly neutered males are also supposed to be more affectionate. Is it true? What do you think? I have a male neutered orange cat (he isnt a tabby though) who is under 2 years old, he is a little bugger!!
Ive always had more female cats so im unsure. lol

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that, too, but I have 2 girls and 3 boys and all 5 are very affectionate. Although at times the boys seem to be more "needy".

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My experience with male orange tabbies is that they're craaaaaaaaaazy.

I would say that it's more a difference between individuals. They all have their own unique purrsonalities.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a whole I've always found male cats to be more affectionate, and as stated needy. Females can be, too, but it tends to be more on their terms. Ultimately it depends on the individual cat and how it was raised and bonded with it's human.

I've found absolutely no personality differences among different colored cats. As I've said several times before, it would be like expecting a person to actually be stupid because they're blond.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As I've said several times before, it would be like expecting a person to actually be stupid because they're blond.
Are you saying they aren't?
J/K

I don't think it has much to do with colour or sex. I've had both sexes and have found that the Siamese of both sexes were more bonded and closer to me than the moggies. Even my Siamese/Himalayan cross male was very affectionate. In fact I could barely get settled in a chair before he was on my lap. Bijou is very affectionate and needy but so was my female Siamese.

Based on these, my experiences, I would say it has more to do with breed than male or female.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Based on these, my experiences, I would say it has more to do with breed than male or female.
I've never had a pure bred, though I've cared for many moggies.
Others have talked about their "soul kitties" and I've had one that was half persian that was the sweetest kitty ever - I'll never find another cat like her no matter what the breed. Though I have a little boy now who's close, he's failed to fully outgrow that kitten clingyness that makes them glue themselves to you. He's easily the neediest cat I have ever had.

Personally, I think your two are just sweet precious babies who've had a wonderful home to grow up in.
Many people think all Siamese are moody - which makes no sense.

And I am a blond, btw.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I have heard that, too, but I have 2 girls and 3 boys and all 5 are very affectionate. Although at times the boys seem to be more "needy".
My girls are affectionate as well, but i have to admit that Jack is a very needy little boy, but i love it!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've never had a pure bred, though I've cared for many moggies.
Others have talked about their "soul kitties" and I've had one that was half persian that was the sweetest kitty ever - I'll never find another cat like her no matter what the breed. Though I have a little boy now who's close, he's failed to fully outgrow that kitten clingyness that makes them glue themselves to you. He's easily the neediest cat I have ever had.

Personally, I think your two are just sweet precious babies who've had a wonderful home to grow up in.
Many people think all Siamese are moody - which makes no sense.

And I am a blond, btw.
Hey, a smart blond! Who knew!
We have a number of blondes in our family and not a dumb one among them. I find most of them are "dumb like a fox".

Sounds like you have the perfect little fellow right now! I don't know about you but I hate going to work and leaving Bijou alone - it makes me sad.

My "soul kitty" was a female Siamese. She seemed to sense my every mood. If I was sad or upset she would get up from a nap and come to me. Maybe that experience has something to do with my love for Siamese. My friend has Bijou's sister and she called her velcro-kitty as she has formed an amazing attachment to my friend. I had her for a few days before she went to my friend and she was the same with us. She wouldn't eat unless I sat on the floor beside her while she had her food.
So this indicates that females can be as cuddly and clingy as males.

Honestly, I think every cat is different, just like people. Some will be affectionate and clingy, others aloof and loners. I do believe that some breeds are more susceptible to certain characteristics than others though.

Thanks for the wonderful words on our kitties and our home. We feel very blessed that these 2 animals have honoured us with their love and devotion and are given that love and devotion back two-fold from us, their humans.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard breeders say that neutered males are friendlier, but of course there will always be exceptions. As Yosemite says, breed is a factor as well. I have two Siamese who always want to be around us, but I wouldn't necessarily describe them as affectionate - they are not lap cats. The Birman, on the other hand, is very loving and will nip at you if you're nearby and forget to pet him! All three cats are neutered males.

As for color, I've read about research connecting color to temperament in animals, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has found conclusive evidence. Surely many other (especially environmental) factors come into play as well.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I've heard breeders say that neutered males are friendlier, but of course there will always be exceptions. As Yosemite says, breed is a factor as well. I have two Siamese who always want to be around us, but I wouldn't necessarily describe them as affectionate - they are not lap cats. The Birman, on the other hand, is very loving and will nip at you if you're nearby and forget to pet him! All three cats are neutered males.

As for color, I've read about research connecting color to temperament in animals, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has found conclusive evidence. Surely many other (especially environmental) factors come into play as well.
A Birman! OMGosh, my neighbour had one and he was the sweetest, cuddliest little fellow. I loved cat-sitting for them. I'd stay around and lay on their couch just to snuggle with him.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

A Birman! OMGosh, my neighbour had one and he was the sweetest, cuddliest little fellow. I loved cat-sitting for them. I'd stay around and lay on their couch just to snuggle with him.
I don't have a lot of experience with the breed, but this guy is definitely a lover, and he is indiscriminate with his affections! My SO and I always joke that he'd happily leave the house with a stranger; he seems to like everyone.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I don't have a lot of experience with the breed, but this guy is definitely a lover, and he is indiscriminate with his affections! My SO and I always joke that he'd happily leave the house with a stranger; he seems to like everyone.
Lennie (neighbour's kitty) was like that too. I'd pick him up and he'd cuddle right into my neck and purr like mad and push his head and face against me.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have heard that outside (in feral colonies), males are more territorial than females, but inside (and neutered), females become more territorial. so maybe neutered males are more tolerant of other cats/people, while females may feel destabilized. my females are certainly no less affectionate than the males, so perhaps this only applies to cat-on-cat relationships.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard this many times before. I didn't used to believe it, but I think there is some truth to the fact that male cats are more affectionate than female cats. However, that does not always hold true.

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Toby and Fifi are brother and sister from the same litter and Fifi is the MOST affectionate BUT ONLY when she wants to be. Shes the only one who will head butt my face and cuddle up in between my arms when I'm on the computer. Toby on the other hand isn't as affectionate as Fifi but ALWAYS seeks my attention. He constantly meows at me and makes me think hes either bored or just wants me to play with him which I usually end up doing, lol

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oops! I lied. Lenny is Burmese, not Birman.
Oh no! There goes my whole theory.

I don't think I've ever met a Burmese, but I'm open to it.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From working in the veterinary field for two years, I've noticed a trend. But of course, there are lots of exceptions and it does depend on the individual cat. And I'm saying this from a cat's behavior at the vets. Just b/c a cat is aggressive/affectionate/whatever when in the hospital setting certainly doesn't mean that's how they behave at home.

Males are usually more affectionate (I can say this from personal experience too. I have three males now, but have had females in the past.)

Orange and orange/white cats (as well as solid black cats and solid white cats) tend to be much more friendly and tolerant. On the flipside, calicos and torties are usually pretty grumpy.

But as I said above, this is just a general observation. There are certainly some orange cats that are...how can I put this nicely...satan?
As well as some torties that are sweethearts. *shrugs* Just my two cents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

From working in the veterinary field for two years, I've noticed a trend. But of course, there are lots of exceptions and it does depend on the individual cat. And I'm saying this from a cat's behavior at the vets. Just b/c a cat is aggressive/affectionate/whatever when in the hospital setting certainly doesn't mean that's how they behave at home.

Males are usually more affectionate (I can say this from personal experience too. I have three males now, but have had females in the past.)

Orange and orange/white cats (as well as solid black cats and solid white cats) tend to be much more friendly and tolerant. On the flipside, calicos and torties are usually pretty grumpy.

But as I said above, this is just a general observation. There are certainly some orange cats that are...how can I put this nicely...satan?
As well as some torties that are sweethearts. *shrugs* Just my two cents.
See I believe at times my Manny (who is orange) is the spawn of satan!!
Although with age he is becoming less....evil....lol You just have to be careful cause he is a biter and a scratcher. but when he is half asleep he is such a sweetie and makes the cutest meow! We had two male cats before Manny, both were black and they were the sweetest cats! (but they were taken to early from us) My Junebug just doesnt like other cats that much, she puts up with them lol I can see why neutered males are seen as more tolerant or affectionate becuase same goes with horses. For the most part geldings (a fixed male lmao) are more like followers, and are less territorial, but mares.....they are crazy!! (not all) but they will let you know what is up! lol

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it kind of depends on the individual cat. As a child, I had a male polydactyl gray tabby that was the sweetest thing. He was not neutered had been kind of an alley cat prior becoming mine. I also had a purebred Persian female that was very sweet...when I was a child. Maybe there's something to this being a child business
, because my cats today all seem to be kind of pushy. They're sweet, with Speck (neutered buff tabby) being the sweetest, but they can be mightly demanding.