Do dogs hide their pain?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As well as cats do?

We all know that cats can hide pain very well. Can dogs do that too?

Brandy's tumor has been growing substantially over the last month... I posted pics of it in a previous thread...

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197152

If you look at the pics I took mid last month, in the pic where she is facing directly towards you, another lump has appeared on the right of the big one... and just tonight I noticed that the left side, right where her gumline is, there's another lump (on the outside, not in her mouth).

She is still eating, barking at strangers, coming for cuddles, and being her typical self for the most part.

However

She is scratching at the tumor(s) more often now (rubbing her face against the ground, or pawing at it).... Her sneezing/snorting/snoring has been getting progressively worse as in more frequent bouts of excess sneezing... she snores louder than my husband now (never used to).

She does NOT whimper, or yelp, or show any apparant signs saying "mom I hurt" aside from the rubbing of the nose, which could just be because its itchy from the stretching skin (that's what my vet said when I took her in March).

I do not want her in pain whatsoever.... so I mentioned to my DH about maybe taking her to the vet... he has nothing against it, but just wonders what it would accomplish. (he's the level headed, logical one out of me and him) We can see the obvious, that its grown alot. Another xray would just show if its bigger.... blood tests wouldn't tell us anything.

What I need to be told is that she is in pain, and its her time.... or she's not in pain....

I don't know that anyone can do that though.

But my vet offered pain meds whenever I think she may need them. Problem is, I don't know if she needs them.

Really, I don't think anyone can answer it for me.... my questions are quite difficult for anyone to answer.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All animals hide their pain to some degree, humans are the exception - though not always.

For dogs, think of a pack mentality. The weakest or ill would be bottom dog or driven out.

It does sound like it's bothering her a bit, but when to actually give pain medicine (and any risks involved in doing so) is something you may want to further discuss with your vet.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound as if it's bothering her, but think of any number of discomforts you have experienced that were annoying, uncomfortable, but not necessarily interfering with your quality of life. I think it's definitely worth consulting the vet, but would be hopeful that the word would be not to worry about it for the moment -- as long as she isn't exhibiting specific pain signals, or diminished quality of life.

for your girl and her Mom.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are her leader, then she will continue to try to please you. I lost my greyhound Tyler to bone cancer in his jaw. He was the happiest dog that I ever had, and he was all momma's boy. In spite of the fact that he worshiped the ground I walked on and wanted to please me all the time, I could tell when it got painful for him. The smiles are not as broad, they start to stare off at fixed points (like they are concentrating), the play is not as much, snuggling wasn't as much a pleasure anymore.

My guess is that Brandy's nose is very itchy or just feels weird to her. Swelling does cause you to itch and swelling that big can't be entirely comfortable.

If your vet is offering pain medication, take them up on it. Try a single dose with her and see if her behavior changes, even if that means she is more relaxed. A common pain drug is Deramaxx, or they might prescribe an anti-inflamatory. Dogs can take buffered aspirin also.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES dogs hide their pain... I also say try the pain meds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My guess is that Brandy's nose is very itchy or just feels weird to her. Swelling does cause you to itch and swelling that big can't be entirely comfortable.

If your vet is offering pain medication, take them up on it. Try a single dose with her and see if her behavior changes, even if that means she is more relaxed. A common pain drug is Deramaxx, or they might prescribe an anti-inflamatory. Dogs can take buffered aspirin also.
Thanks, I think I will try a pain med for her and see.

I have no doubt its itchy... I relate it to being pregnant, the skin stretches and gets itchy sometimes.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the motion for pain medication. There's really no reason not to put her on some sort of pain relief because if anything it has to be uncomfortable and if it's messing with the airways in her nose then I think pain meds as a just in case would be a good idea.

We had a young dog in about a month ago, he had a similar lump but on x-raying it it was bone cancer. It advanced quite rapidly and they eventually had to put him to sleep. For him it got harder for him to breathe and that was why they elected to euth him. He was happy otherwise and wagged his tail up until we sedated him.

I think you should look at quality of life. Someone once told me when a pet stops doing 3 out of 4 favorite things then its time. We all have our own guage. It doesn't sound to me like she's in super amounts of pain or discomfort. The tumor can't be comfortable for her, but it doesn't sound like it affects her life at this point. I'd say when she stops barking at people, stops acting basically like her normal self, then you need to worry about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

I think you should look at quality of life. Someone once told me when a pet stops doing 3 out of 4 favorite things then its time. We all have our own guage. It doesn't sound to me like she's in super amounts of pain or discomfort. The tumor can't be comfortable for her, but it doesn't sound like it affects her life at this point. I'd say when she stops barking at people, stops acting basically like her normal self, then you need to worry about it.
Thanks...I have this taken part taken care of.

I do not think she is in much pain... because it has stretched over time, like a pregnant belly... I know its itchy, but as for pain, I don't think she's in much pain.

And her quality of life is still good.... if it wasn't, she would not be here
The way it was explained to me, is her quality of life will more than likely stay good up untill the tumor reaches her eye. Once it does that, she will be euthanised as that will be incredibly painful and could literally pop her eye out of the socket.

That is what makes it difficult....the fact that she may not exhibit symptoms like less activity, not acting normal, etc. prior to the tumor reaching her eye.

I was going to just pick up pain meds, but have decided to take her in for a check up.... I noticed the other day, if you look in her nostril, you can now see "something"....I don't know if its the cartilidge, or tumor, or what, but the tumor is obviously pressing something down under it and now I can see it in her nostril.... That in itself I think might cause pain.

I'll post once I've seen the vet.