But it's my signature!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else have a signature that doesnt really look like anything in particular? My signature is the first letter of my name and a squiggle (which if you know how to read it, the first and second letters of my last name are also included). The way I feel about my signature is that it's mine and I should be able to sign my name however I darn well want to. But every time I sign it I get harrassed about it! From the lady at the DMV when I signed my drivers lincense telling me that anyone would think I was illiterate (and making me change it so that the signature on my license isnt my signature) to finding a note at work today from my boss telling me that I have to sign my name so it can be read. Even if it is just a squiggle it's the exact same squiggle every time! I don't mind when people joke that I should be a Dr. when I sign a credit card slip or whatever, but when they tell me that I have to change my signature it just bugs me to no end. Argh!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My formal signature -- the one that appears on official documents -- is quite illegible, and getting worse every day, but like yours it's basically the same squiggle that I have been producing for more years than I like to count. I find it's useful, though, to save that for the really formal documents, and in situations where it would be useful to be able to read it -- business use, in particular -- to simply write my name.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's the artist in me, but my signature is always legible. Odd enough I have had extremely similar writing as the past two generations in my family.......

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was fairly legible until I started signing a dozen things a day. Now you can make out the A and B of my first name, the R of my last and something that should be a Y.

I had a flier signed by Enslaved last Wednesday and the only reason I can make out Ivar Bjørnson signature is because I watched him sign it and can see the I in it, otherwise it's pretty much illegible and probably one of the worser ones I've seen.

I've also seen people who just scribble the pen back and forth so you have a mess. Probably not the wisest way for one to sign their credit card slips as there's nothing to really compare pattern wise.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been told that no matter WHAT your signature looks like, it's your signature and it doesn't matter. You could make an X and it would still be your signature. So I don't know why everyone's bothering you
. Seems like a dumb thing to harass someone about. As long as the other stuff you write is legible or you type.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate signing my name, I cannot write in cursive!! Literally I was never taught to write in cursive because when I was that age, I didn't speak english and didn't use the latin alphabet. So now to sign I do some random squiggly thing but I can never make it cute the way i want it lol ...Usually it's the later of my first name, squiggle and then it ends with a line that gets flatter towards the end lol. But I recently started to do that, the signature in my passport and driver's license is quite ugly because I was told it needs to have my full name in it!! So yea if I ever get in any kind of trouble, like if someone forges my signature I would never be able to prove it was forged because my signature looks different each time I sign ...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes me wonder if there is any correlation between messy/neat handwriting (even just with sigs) and keeping a messy/neat apt or house?
I have a neat signature and handwriting.

BTW, I agree that it's ridiculous that people give you static over your signature. I was thinking who cares as long as it's signed? But then, it does make it easier for someone to copy it.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Makes me wonder if there is any correlation between messy/neat handwriting (even just with sigs) and keeping a messy/neat apt or house?
I have a neat signature and handwriting.
i dont think so, not in my case anyway. I have neat handwriting, but i am very unorganized and messy!

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get out a B, then some squiggles, then a J, more squiggles. My last name looks the same as my mom signs it. Sometimes I even forget an E.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked at a bank for two years and that annoyed me. Why can't you just write your name? Just my opinion.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I hate signing my name, I cannot write in cursive!! Literally I was never taught to write in cursive because when I was that age, I didn't speak english and didn't use the latin alphabet. So now to sign I do some random squiggly thing but I can never make it cute the way i want it lol
Don't worry about not learning cursive. Aside from using it right after it's taught in school here, it's pretty much useless. Most people print, but have a few short cuts for letters that is somewhere between cursive, print, and "is that suppose to be an ____?". I had a terrible time trying to read cursive and am glad people don't use it.

Originally Posted by lil maggie

I've been told that I write like a guy - I can't completely deny it since I have seen a guy's writing where the numbers looked exactly like mine.

My house is a mix of overly clean and hidden clutter (craft supplies). My writing is very thin, sharp, and slanted right.

Maybe we should have a thread where everyone shares a picture/scanned sample of their handwriting using one of the generic phrases that uses all the letters in the alphabet?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My signature seems to depend on my mood. It's never exactly the same. The bank called me a few times regarding a cheque I signed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

I worked at a bank for two years and that annoyed me. Why can't you just write your name? Just my opinion.
Then it's not a signature. The point of a signature is for it to look different from how anyone else will write your name. If you just write your name generically, it's not a signature and anyone could copy it.

I don't use cursive either. I learned how to write cursive when I was a kid but I dropped it as soon as I figured out how dumb it was. I do write my signature in a sort of cursive/italics/printing mixture. Otherwise I use block printing, all caps.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Maybe we should have a thread where everyone shares a picture/scanned sample of their handwriting using one of the generic phrases that uses all the letters in the alphabet?
Something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"?

I take back what I said about messy/neat handwriting or sigs having a correlation with a messy/neat house. My brother has very beautiful handwriting and he's a slob

I can look back 15 years ago of something I signed and my signature is pretty much the same.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Then it's not a signature. The point of a signature is for it to look different from how anyone else will write your name. If you just write your name generically, it's not a signature and anyone could copy it.
No one will have your exact writing, and of course you can make it unique. Squiggles would be easier to forge IMO.

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your signature is your signature! I work at a bank so I look at signatures all day long and they run the gambit! I see some that just look like sloppy printing, some that very neat, and some that are literally just a squiggle. All that matters is that you can prove it is your signature. I would have either have your driver's license redone or have some other form of id with you that shows a picture and your signature. (like a non driver Id) You might can get the Driver's license redone for free since the DMV person wouldn't let you put your legal signature on it. (bring your Social Security card to prove it) My signature is mostly a mass of loops and sticks and I usually don't get all the letters in it either. I sign all my bank stuff that way too. Just do what I do--I sign my normal way and then I print my name underneath it (just print in small letters). That way it is your signature, and people can read who it is.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

No one will have your exact writing, and of course you can make it unique. Squiggles would be easier to forge IMO.
It depends. If one's writing is too neat it can be easily forged - just ask anyone with a good eye for details and some ability at drawing.
Most womens handwriting, ie the big loopy letters, look the same to me as it all looks generic.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It depends. If one's writing is too neat it can be easily forged - just ask anyone with a good eye for details and some ability at drawing.
Most womens handwriting, ie the big loopy letters, look the same to me as it all looks generic.
Oh yes it can be forged!
There is no way you can read my signature.... It is mine, and I can recognize from across the street! I bet it would be much harder to forge also!