When will they be friends?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our resident female cat, Neely, is approx. 6 y.o. Our newcomer, Gizmo, is now 9 mos. old. We introduced them slowly over the last 2 mos. but Neely still acts like she doesn't want any part of Gizmo. She still hisses, growls, ears go flat, and then she usually runs away. Gizmo is a bit clueless and just wants to play. He sometimes runs after Neely which we're afraid might agitate her even more. Neely's temperament by nature is feisty and self-confident, she's one fierce female.
She is also fearless with our dog. We never leave them unsupervised.
I'm just wondering how long, if there is a general rule of thumb, it will take for them to become friends or co-exist? What are other members experiences?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

Our resident female cat, Neely, is approx. 6 y.o. Our newcomer, Gizmo, is now 9 mos. old. We introduced them slowly over the last 2 mos. but Neely still acts like she doesn't want any part of Gizmo. She still hisses, growls, ears go flat, and then she usually runs away. Gizmo is a bit clueless and just wants to play. He sometimes runs after Neely which we're afraid might agitate her even more. Neely's temperament by nature is feisty and self-confident, she's one fierce female.
She is also fearless with our dog. We never leave them unsupervised.
I'm just wondering how long, if there is a general rule of thumb, it will take for them to become friends or co-exist? What are other members experiences?
The time varies but Persi & Alley are the very best of friends now after a very rocky start. You can hasten this time by putting them in situations that they are together. Don't give up!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has taken a full year for my two to be what I consider friends. And in 3 weeks I'll add a third to the mix.

Leslie

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
be very best friends. The older may just end up tolerating the younger one. I have had that situation before. Cats are wonderful. I will never be without one. But they can be weird!
That is just their nature. But, I would bet in time you will come in one day and they will be sleeping together. Keep the faith!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

they may never be very best friends. The older may just end up tolerating the younger one.
I have a strange feeling you are right. They are both wonderful in their own way and I wouldn't be surprised if our older cat, Neely, never quite accepts Gizmo.