Stop eating the baby's food!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a mixture of Natural Balance and Nutro dry kitten food out (the non-recalled stuff) for mama which she loves. I've just given her lunch, which she scoffed. I just bought new RC Babycat dry food for the kittens since they're starting to show interest in food. I mixed the first lot in with KMR and mum scoffed it all down. I just put a second bowl of Babycat softened with some water, and mum has just finished scoffing it all down.

These kittens are never get to try anything but mum's milk

Edit to add: Her poo's are huge enough as it is. I'm dreading to see/smell these next ones!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having the same problem--so I decided to pull momma out of the cage while the babies ate--she rather be out as it is. Then when the babies finished let momma in to finish off the leftovers. Now that all the babies dive in, there is no issue with Momma, I think she realizes she's tired of nursing 5 and would rather them get a real meal so she lets them eat their food.

Leslie

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a good idea for pregnant and nursing mama cats to eat kitten food anyway, to make sure they have everything in them to nourish kittens.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

I thought it was a good idea for pregnant and nursing mama cats to eat kitten food anyway, to make sure they have everything in them to nourish kittens.
Yes, it is. I think Leslie IS giving mama kitten food, etc. It's just that as a stray - she is eating everything, including the meals set out for the babies. But it sounds like Leslie found a solution! Yay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, and the problem is that the RC babycat food is expensive, so I don't want to go through it too fast!