Nutro Recall, what to feed now? UTI kitty.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that my cat, Sneaks, food has been recalled (he was eating the Nutro Max Cat Roasted Chicken), I'm wondering what to switch him to now?
He's done well on this food since I switched him to it after he got a mild UTI. He's only had the one UTI in his life (will be 3 in Oct.), so I'm wondering if I can just switch him to anything, or stick with something very similar to the Nutro? I was thinking about switching his food anyway, due to all the recalls last year, and now this has made me want to even more.

I'd love to be able to get it at PetsMart, but can go to a Pet Supplies Plus if needed. I also can't spend a ton (I think the Nutro was $25-30 for 16lbs.), so price has to be taken into consideration. Anyone have any suggestions?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what was previous food??

I am combing my brain and welcome help

Purina and Royal canin have UTI lines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

what was previous food??

I am combing my brain and welcome help

Purina and Royal canin have UTI lines
The food he was eating before switching to Nutro was Chicken Soup. He didn't like it much; I'm not sure if that alone caused the UTI, or if it was just a one time deal, since he's had no issues since.

I'm wondering if I just stick with something with similar ingredients & protein, fat, etc. levels, if he'll be fine with it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kady05

The food he was eating before switching to Nutro was Chicken Soup. He didn't like it much; I'm not sure if that alone caused the UTI, or if it was just a one time deal, since he's had no issues since.

I'm wondering if I just stick with something with similar ingredients & protein, fat, etc. levels, if he'll be fine with it.
to the latter part .. Technically yes .. but cats like humans do not always go with the program
... pro plan may be a pinch option or authority if you are near a petsmart?

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

to the latter part .. Technically yes .. but cats like humans do not always go with the program
... pro plan may be a pinch option or authority if you are near a petsmart?
Well, I CAN go to a Pet Supplies Plus (which has all the 'better' brands, Wellness, Innova, etc.) and get his food, I just get my other cats food at PetsMart now, which would make it easier. I'll do whatever though, I don't mind.

I basically just want a good quality dry food for him. I'm not even sure he NEEDS a food that is ok for UT health anymore, since he's only had the one minor UTI over a year ago.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart has their own version of "Nutro" called "Authority" It's fantastic- same quality ingrdients, not recalled, and i've had amazing success with it. I recently switched my German Shepherd puppy off of the nutro natural choice large breed puppy and onto the Authority Large Breed Puppy formula and I switched my cats from the Nutro Max Roasted Chicken to the Authority Chicken & Rice Adult cat formula (hairball control). It works amazingly well too!

The ingredients are pretty good and the price is a fraction of what you would have spent on Nutro (without worry over the recall, at least for now.) That's my recommendation! The Authority bags are purple. Here's the link! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3082007 (Mine adjusted really well to the new food switch off of nutro (they ate the same as urs, and onto Authority).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Nikki

Decent

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers RiceLOW quality , Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Cornone or the other not both, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Beet Pulp (a source of natural vegetable fiber) not the ingredient but the processing , Dried Cellulose, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis

* Crude Protein (min) 32.0%
* Crude Fat (min) 16.0%

* Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%
* Moisture (max) 10.0%
* Ash (max) 6.25%
* Linoleic Acid (min) 2.0% this is omega 6 so which is it
* Calcium (min) 1.0%
* Phosphorus (min) 0.9%

* Magnesium (max) 0.1%
* Zinc (min) 150 mg/kg
* Selenium (min) 0.2 mg/kg
* Vitamin E (min) 300 IU/kg
* Taurine (min) 0.15%
* Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min) 3.0%
* Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min) 0.35%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO still a good amount over authority thou both often work

nutro max - recall of course

http://www.nutroproducts.com/mcdry-arc.shtml

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice NOTE only one corn product and two grains yes one is highly allergenic, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, a bit grainy Natural Flavors, Chicken, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
Nutro Products, Inc. supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) \t32.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) \t17.00%

Crude Fiber (maximum) \t3.00%
Moisture (maximum) \t10.00%
Ash (maximum) \t6.50%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) \t3.50%
Magnesium (maximum) \t0.085%
Zinc (minimum) \t200 mg/kg
Vitamin E (minimum) \t150 IU/kg
Taurine (minimum) \t0.16%
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* \t18 mg/kg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (minimum)* \t0.05%
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, the Authority looks alright. I mean, he's done great on the Nutro, so maybe it's worth a try (since it looks pretty similar to the Nutro).
My two Ragdolls are on *gasp* Eukanuba Hairball control because it's the only food so far (you can look at my old posts on here to read the saga) that keeps their stool normal, despite at least $1000 in testing and special foods. So, I think it's about what works best for each cat.

What about the Blue Buffalo food? I think I've heard some good reviews on it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
blue buffalo the reg line is a bit grainy IMHO .. the wilderness line has one grain oatmeal which IMHO should be a bit clearer as many think it is grain free

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I worked at petsmart, my cats did well on Authority: Sensitive Solutions dry.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie had one UTI (mild). He's on Royal Canin for Urinary (got at the vet's) and in the canned, we get Wellness, Natural Balance, Max Cat, Avoderm, Blue Buffalo - chicken, lamb, beef, venison.

He has not had another one on this diet since the UTI almost 2 yrs ago.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For OTC urinary foods - only ones I can think of right now are:
Purina ONE Urinary
Purina Pro Plan Urinary

I've never seen Royal Canin's urinary, so can't comment on that.

I've fed ONE urinary to the farm kitties. Not the best ingredients, but for the availability & price it worked.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ended getting a bag of the Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken & Rice. We'll try it for now and hope for no urinary tract issues!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kady05

I ended getting a bag of the Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken & Rice. We'll try it for now and hope for no urinary tract issues!
That's what I got to replace the Nutro Max. Just a small bag to get by. Is the BB any better than the Authority? If quality is about the same, I may try the Authority next since it is much cheaper. (Using the indoor hairball formula). Any thoughts on this sharky?

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

That's what I got to replace the Nutro Max. Just a small bag to get by. Is the BB any better than the Authority? If quality is about the same, I may try the Authority next since it is much cheaper. (Using the indoor hairball formula). Any thoughts on this sharky?
I'd like to know this too, just in case the BB doesn't agree with him for some reason.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Blue I trust more than Authority ie no mystery animal fat or liver type ingredients... IMHO Authority has gone done since last formula change it is still decent but now it more inline with purina naturals than max cat

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Blue I trust more than Authority ie no mystery animal fat or liver type ingredients... IMHO Authority has gone done since last formula change it is still decent but now it more inline with purina naturals than max cat
Thanks, I will try to avoid it then