Is this normal - bleeding?!?! Graphic details inculed

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I didn't want to put this in the other post just because I didn't want to gross anyone out, but Pooka had some trouble delivering a couple of the placentas so I very very gently helped to pull them the rest of the way out, after she had finished breaking the bags and gotten the kitten cleaned good. It would just be dangling there and I gave her a few minutes to deliver the placenta on her own but when it became obvious that it wasn't going to happen I helped-VERY gently. This didn't seem to be a problem until #5 and #6 were born. she had #5 and while cleaning off the bag, before delivering the placenta #5 she delivered kitten #6. she wasn't breaking the bag of #6 and was really freaked out. So, I broke the bag for 6 and made sure it could breath. I then tried to help pull the placenta for #5 (still attached to Pooka) and it wouldn't come--so I stopped. But she was getting more and more distressed so I pulled the cord for #5 a little harder. The cord for 5 was thinner and smaller than the rest and when I pulled the second time it broke. not at the kitten-inside the mom. This actually seemed to calm Pooka down and she cleaned off #6 and then delivered the #6 placenta. I waited to see #5 placenta but never did. I passed out asleep shortly after she seemed to be ok. I never saw placenta #5, however, I went to work that morning and she had 8 hours to be alone. she didn't show any signs of anything being wrong so I figured she must have gotten it out and eaten it-she did all the others. then this evening when I got home from work I noticed a couple of little spots of blood- I still wasn't concerned until I started seeing more of them. Now she is lightly bleeding, kinda as if she was having a light period. She doesn't show any signs of distress, and is eating, drinking, and caring for the kittens. I am concerned because I live in a really rural area and I won't have a vet's office open until Tuesday. The closest emergency vet is 2 hours away. Is it ok for her to spotting or should I be preparing to try to take mom and babies for a long ride?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The standar answer is to consult a good vet. As now, what is better, let her lie down unstressed at home, or stress her to get to the emerg vet in a long ride - Im not the right person to advice.

But cant you phone some vet? Bigger animal hospitals do usually answers phone questions. In Sweden, that is. Perhaps also in your country...

Change the title; into Is this normal: bleeding.

So more people see your question.

Good luck!

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

The standar answer is to consult a good vet. As now, what is better, let her lie down unstressed at home, or stress her to get to the emerg vet in a long ride - Im not the right person to advice.

But cant you phone some vet? Bigger animal hospitals do usually answers phone questions. In Sweden, that is. Perhaps also in your country...

Change the title; into Is this normal: bleeding.

So more people see your question.

Good luck!
Completely agree with stefan, although it is possible to have Identical twin kittens sharing the same placenta its rare does it seem as if this could have been the case?.....are they identical? If so i would still phone a vet for advice as they will be able to talk you through any signs and hopefully come and visit.
My cat Bellatrix didn't do well with delivering her placentas as 4 out of 5 kittens were breech and she was exhausted so I contated the vet and did as you and eased the cords without applying pressure under the vets instructions, the main concern being a placenta would cause a blockage.
Also keep an eye on the bleeding, although some can be fine. A while back a friend called me round to hers as her cat had given birth a few days before and she wasn't "right" she looked ok....tired but ok and was lying behind the sofa with her kittens I put my hand down to pet her and she felt hot on her ears ( i know not a very reliable way to tell temp) and was panting slightly she then jumped up and was bleeding I stayed with my friends children whilst she took the cat to the vets and although she had delivered all the placentas the Vet suspected she had retained some product of birth he palpatated and said it could just be a small broken piece of placenta and prescribed antibiotics to treat the infection and a follow up. She was fine but its always best to be on the safe side.

Good luck, Get some phone advice from a vet on how to proceed and let us all know!

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl just had 7 babies and only 5 placentas, 2 sets of twins! The bleeding sounds ok, but I am not an expert. I would think she'd be acting weird, like my Mao did.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Placental twins in any species do not need to have the same color markings. It all depends at which stage the chromosomes separated, if its done early enough they still shuffle after splitting, which can result in not so identical twins.

Pulling on the cords was a bad move, you should consult a veterinarian to be sure there isn't any lasting damage to the womb and birth canal.

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

Pulling on the cords was a bad move, you should consult a veterinarian to be sure there isn't any lasting damage to the womb and birth canal.
I was on the phone to my vet during Bellatrixs labour and she said it was fine to ease the placenta out by the cord but never apply and force. Bellatrix's contractions stopped.....well slowed significantly after every baby as the breech ones had exhausted her uterus, so the placenta was waiting to come out there was just nothing to push it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will leave a message with our normal vet just to be sure, but the bleeding has completely stopped now. She doesn't seem to be any warmer than normal and is acting completely normal too. the two kittens delivered within a two minutes of each other were different colors. #5 is a ginger tabby and #6 is white (maybe a color point). thanks all for the responds and info. Sorry I haven't been on as much as I would like but DH has been in and out of the hospital lately and still not 100% yet.