School prices going up!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a newsletter hte other day about how our semester costs are going up 10%, from like $1500 to around $3000 dollars. And they are bumping up parking from $68 to like $120 something a semester...yikes!! And its only a state university! The reason i didnt go to a private school was mainly the cost, i am sure before i graduate in a few years it will go up even more. I have a student loan as it is cause i cant even pay for the old fees. Im never going to pay school off!! Maybe if the school cut some athletics that dont make any money or cut spending on airfare, uniforms and other goodies they get and start doing somehting for us students. (dont get me wrong I was a student athlete for a year, on the equestrian team, but they spend too much money on these sports, especially since equestrian doesnt make any money) This cancels out ever going abroad as they wanted $16000 for 3 months in england....yah NO!!Anyone else in school notice a price bump in tuition?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup! When I started (Fall of 06') a 12 hour semester was about 1,400. I just registered for next semester and they're taking 1,800 from me!!! Bah. And I too will never pay off my student loans!! I already have 6K+, and I've still got two more years of undergrad and then hopefully vet school. *shakes head* I'll be paying for the rest of my life, plus some!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CatNurse22---Isnt it just awful??? My friend is planning on going to vet school too. I cant even get financial aid because i still live at home and dont pay rent, with my job i dont make enough to move out. But my friend who's parents have a lot of money, got in to UC Irvine and is offered financial aid!
Im like wanna send me some!!
I plan on going to grad school cause i want to do something with archeology (sp? im too lazy to look it up!) and you have to go to grad school. All these fee increases are jut so overwhelming! Its funny because last year we had a student vote on fee increases that most of it would go to athletics, little to band and the small tiny little portion left would go to other clubs. In return we could get into some athletics for free (some...). Like 90% of those who voted said no to it, what does the president do.....
He goes ahead with it. What was the point in us voting for it? Oh and this was when i was on the equestrian team, our coach told us we would get extra points (you get grades for sports teams) if we voted to approve the fee increase
....its all about the money. :
:

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is normal for state colleges to go up and raise fees.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My college fees have gone up as well, but not as much that sounds crazy!! Mine have gone up around $200 from $2200 to $2400. I hate student loans I'm so scared to take them out. I'm lucky my state has HOPE, which means if you get 3.0 gpa or above you don't pay tuition so I haven't taken a loan out yet and i'm in my 3rd year.. But with today's economy i'm scared even a college degree isn't going to help me find a decent job. I'll probably go to grad school first anyway, but still

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

We got a newsletter hte other day about how our semester costs are going up 10%, from like $1500 to around $3000 dollars.
Does anyone else see this sentence as indicating a problem in our education system?

That said, the athletic departments in most universities actually make money, especially the football and basketball programs.

However, I went to a college that had no extramural sports programs, and I think it improved the scholarship there.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Does anyone else see this sentence as indicating a problem in our education system?
well i'm definitely assuming she's not a math major

I'm sure it's just a typo tho. She probably meant to write 100%..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mrblanche--- are you calling me stupid??? lol I was under the impression our tuition was only 1500, but it is really around 2400....i didnt know it went up last semester.... i meant $2400 to $3500 or somewhere around that i think that is what the news said, all i know is it is a lot more than what i started out with. I read the wrong article from our newsletter. and NO I am not a math major, i hate math and dont see the point in taking it if i am a journalism major lol.... And the only thing bad about my school is the higher up people, the teachers are for the most part great at doing what they do...except the math teachers...i swear they are all crazy.

Not only are they increasing fees, but dropping classes, making a lot of them online, and only letting like 500 freshman in. I feel like if i am paying more, i want to see more done around campus, like fixing up buildings, a lot of lecture halls have broken seats and we are paying to be in those seats.

Utopia---That program HOPE, sounds really awesome, maybe i should move to Georgia! . California has a really bad education system, not just college but even in the elementary-high school. Its really sad. I always thought school and learning was supposed to be the most important thing. We have more prisons built in cali, than schools in the last few years....