Which Breed is for me?

amateur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been a while since I registered. Although I didn't post I was reading the forums.

After several months of research I think I have what it takes to own a cat. I have already started to look for a cat friendly place in boston area.

Let me first tell some of the traits that I am looking for (I am not saying a must, I just think it would be nice):

-Not too independent, showing some affection
-Sheds little
-Can entertain itself while I am not around
-Noise is ok as long as neighbours are not disturbed.

Some of the breeds I think would be suitable for me are:

Russian Blue: I like what I read but very hard to find a breeder
Korat : Very much like Russin Blue
Siamese : Everybody loves them
Bengal
PixieBob

Since I didn't own a cat before these are just the results of what I have seen and read so please I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks again for the warn welcome...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why ont you post this in the breeders corner.
I have 3 Russian Blue Mixes.
Sasha is mostly Russian Blue.
My Coco is half siamese.
Here is some info on those breeds.
http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/russian.html

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/siamese.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_(cat)

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/korat.html

Siamese can be loud.
I have had them before.
My Coco who is half is very loud.
I had Bengals,Siamese and Russian Blues on my list last year.
I got a Sphynx.
You need to research all those breeds before you get anything.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second KSCatLady's opinion regarding rescues. Have you considered heading over to your local city shelter? There are some wonderful kitties hanging out just waiting for some love and affection. Plus, it's much less expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amateur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Why ont you post this in the breeders corner.
I have 3 Russian Blue Mixes.
Sasha is mostly Russian Blue.
My Coco is half siamese.
Here is some info on those breeds.
http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/russian.html

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/siamese.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_(cat)

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/korat.html

Siamese can be loud.
I have had them before.
My Coco who is half is very loud.
I had Bengals,Siamese and Russian Blues on my list last year.
I got a Sphynx.
You need to research all those breeds before you get anything.
Thanks a lot for the directions. I have already read the information in the given links and much more, I like to reasearch first
. But your input as an owner is very valuable.

Loudness and the need of a lot of attention was the reason I didn't put siamese on the top of my list while RB "on paper" has all the traits I want as far as I researchrd but I have yet to meet one

kscatlady,Blast-Off-Girl: I am also considering rescuing one but not because of the price but to give one of them home. However I always hesitated about their personalities, to be honest since I was a kid I saw lots examples of very independent cats who are not very interested in their owners, as a kitten they all seem sweet but what about when they grow up. I think every cat has a different personality but the purebreeds seems more predictable.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Siamese Bengals also need attention and playtime (along with Ocicats
)

We nickname Russians "statues" here as they don't get up to much, whereas Bengals, Siamese (and Ocicats) are all high energy.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a year-old rescue cat- still very playful and youthful and the personality is formed. Gosh - I met some today who are just great!!! And they are on a shelter's euthanasia list ... their last day is 5/27. !!!!!!!

Cats can live 15-20 years so it will be your companion for a long time.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are unsure about rescues, and there are so many at the shelter, go to PetSmart. They always have a few, and they will let you interact with them before making a decision. I've seen lots there that are very sweet and affectionate. They always give you a little synopsis of their personalities. They come from the shelters, but you can interact with them on a more personal level at PetSmart.

amateur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since I didn't know where to open the thread I opened here but I will really appreciate if mods can move the topic to breeders or wherever it suits best.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too suggest a rescue! Shelters will let you hang around for a while, play with the cats, come back many times, etc. And most will take the cat back if it turns out to be a bad match. The shelter here lets you foster too, for free. And give you 2 weeks to return the cat. They won't give you your money back, but you can pick out a new cat.

I was planning to foster one at a time until the right cat came along. I was very choosy about my expectations. Then Fin showed up in front of my car in the middle of a busy road. No one claimed him, so I kept him. He fits every specification I had. I love him!

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I understand your fears about getting an 'aloof' cat when you really want a good companion; however, I can highly attest to the fact that I got 2 WONDERFUL cats from the humane society who have been absolutely wonderful companions in every way I desired! One does happen to be a pure-bred Maine Coon (I lucked up on him) but the other is a perfectly wonderful moggie boy who I wouldn't trade for the world!

Just my two cents... I hope you find a wonderful new friend, whatever you decide!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest going to two rescues, just to look and talk to the people who know the kitties.
Then go to two cat shows, do the same. That will help you form more opinions

Most cats I know are quite social with their owners and make great companions.
If you get a kitten, get two. They will keep each other company and be little energy outlets for each other.
I don't think a Bengal fits your list as "cat can entertain itself when I am not around", makes me think you work long hours and then that entertaining might not be what you like

Could be wrong of course, as I am not a Bengal owner. I own a Sphynx, which is also an energetic high energy breed, sometimes can be vocal.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amateur

-Not too independent, showing some affection
-Sheds little
-Can entertain itself while I am not around
-Noise is ok as long as neighbours are not disturbed.
A reputable shelter or breed rescue should allow you to interact with the cats, you can get a good idea of personality that way. Good shelters/rescues will have a personality profile that tells you if the cat is good by itself, or is very talkative. (and if they don't have a history they should be up front about the cat having been a stray, etc...) All cats shed some unless you go for a bald sphynx, short coats shed the least and require the least owner maintenance (although you should still try and brush them at least once a week).

We've adopted 2 adult moggies from shelters and ahd no problems with the cats 'bonding' to us or me specificly... Cats are smart and notice who's there filling the dish and petting and will ham-up to that person.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynx do not shed but they do get oil all over.
They are also very hyper and need a lot of care.
I would loo around and see what you like.
You can try a few places.
My sister adopted two cats from Petsmart.
One has never been a problem.
The othe male has started spraying and he peed on my nephews bed last week.
If you use a breeder they will ask a lot of questions.
You also have to be careful because there are a lot of byb out there.
My sister got cheatedby a rex breeder.
You can try the pound also.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Oriental Shorthairs (the same as Siamese but different colour) and they do shed but their hair is so short it is not very noticeable, you can also use a zoom groom (rubber brush) on them a couple of times a week to get out any loose hair and minimise shedding further. They are however very loud, clingy, needy, and a right handful! Very very lively and they get to the top of bookcases, kitchen cabinets etc and seem to take great delight in knocking stuff over and breaking things. These are all traits that I like but they are not for everyone. They are fantastic close companions, but I am sure my neighbours can hear them when they get wailing - they can sound like a baby crying.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that my Nana's DSH and SIA moult just as much as our Fluffies. Infact I find the Siamese fur to be some of the most annoying and it seems to cover everything!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i can suggest what you NOT get

my purebred is an Ocicat, and she hates being alone! (very quiet, except at dinner time)

my rescue is mostly Manx and sheds like crazy (shes very vocal)

they are such wonnderful, affectionate cats, but id say Ocicat's and Manx are not for you. Good luck!

amateur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the great replies.

I am crossing siamese,bengals off my list.

BTW when I said it can entertain itself I didn't mean that I will be away everyday for long hours. Although there will be days when I will not be around for 10 hours those days are numbered. In fact I'm also studying at home so on average I'll be out for 4-5 hours. The thing is I won't be able to give all my time when I'm at home, so it would be great if it doesn't want constant attention.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amateur

The thing is I won't be able to give all my time when I'm at home, so it would be great if it doesn't want constant attention.
Sphynx are out then