TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Sophie's got her baby block on, has yours?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sophie's got her baby block on, has yours?!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Although my three are strictly indooor cats, the conservatory/sunroom gets a lot of the sunlight in during the afternoon.

White cats especially have to be careful with the sun because of skin cancer, but even cats with any white on their noses or ears have to be careful.

Sophie's ears got sunburnt last year even though i tilt the blinds when the sun is at it's hottest, but the vet said i still have to apply baby block to her ears when the suns out, which i do without fail!.

So, remember to apply the baby block even though they may look silly with splodges of cream on their ears or noses
post #2 of 17
Wow RosieMac, I had never heard of such a thing (re: cats and skin cancer). Thank you for sharing something so valuable.
post #3 of 17
I agree, Susan. Thanks for sharing. It's little things like this I take for granted, just knowing. I'll have to be really careful with Tales, come Summer. She spends a lot of time in the conservatory. My Lolly used to have zinc on his nose and ears (he was white), the bright coloured sun cream
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubbie View Post
Wow RosieMac, I had never heard of such a thing (re: cats and skin cancer).
I didn't either until i came here

Heres a link to explain more about it

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dise...sunscreens.htm
post #5 of 17
Thank you for sharing this important info with us Susan.
Sophie
post #6 of 17
Yup, I gotta pick up some for Baby's nose, although usually, if the sun is shining, I've got all my windows and doors covered to keep the heat out.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
My Lolly used to have zinc on his nose and ears (he was white), the bright coloured sun cream
Awwwwww i know the sort you mean. I should get a nice bright yellow block to match Sophies collar
post #8 of 17
This shouldn't matter unless you're windows aren't UV treated as most older ones like my own aren't. If they are newer windows you shouldn't have a problem with an indoor only cat. We used to keep sunscreen for our horses for just the same reason! You see many with burnt noses as their hair is so thin there.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat View Post
This shouldn't matter unless you're windows aren't UV treated as most older ones like my own aren't. If they are newer windows you shouldn't have a problem with an indoor only cat. We used to keep sunscreen for our horses for just the same reason! You see many with burnt noses as their hair is so thin there.
You can also have a film installed on your windows that give you the protection, too. I had them installed on my windows here and you cannot even tell there is a film on them. I wanted to make sure we all had that protection, as well as, birds flying into the windows.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat View Post
This shouldn't matter unless you're windows aren't UV treated as most older ones like my own aren't. If they are newer windows you shouldn't have a problem with an indoor only cat.
Mine are double glazed and uv treated like these ones, and only a couple of years old, but i know the suns getting to Sophies ears because they go bright pink otherwise. and that's when the vet said they were sunburnt. Now, since using the baby block when the suns out she doesn't have that problem.

http://www.thermoglaz.co.nz/commercial.html
post #11 of 17
Belle and Delilah are orange...one light and one dark. Should they be wearing baby block too?
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post
Belle and Delilah are orange...one light and one dark. Should they be wearing baby block too?
If theres any white on their noses or ears, yes.

Sophie only has a little white on her ears, but she still has to wear it.
post #13 of 17
My two white girls, and the ones with white ears, get their sunblock.
post #14 of 17
Is it safe for them to ingest? I''m asking because I'm sure mine would find a way to clean it off.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanynne View Post
Is it safe for them to ingest? I''m asking because I'm sure mine would find a way to clean it off.
Sophie cleans it off eventually and she's been fine, but you can buy a sunblock for cats where it's harder for them to lick off
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
Mine are double glazed and uv treated like these ones, and only a couple of years old, but i know the suns getting to Sophies ears because they go bright pink otherwise. and that's when the vet said they were sunburnt. Now, since using the baby block when the suns out she doesn't have that problem.

http://www.thermoglaz.co.nz/commercial.html
Yikes! I'd have the windows checked! My husband does this for a living. It should be impossible.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat View Post
Yikes! I'd have the windows checked! My husband does this for a living. It should be impossible.
I don't need to, i have the 10 year certificate to show it

The majority of companies use a glass called Pilkingtons glass

http://www.pilkingtonselfcleaningglass.co.uk/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Sophie's got her baby block on, has yours?!