Ouch!

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my legs have scars all over them now. Most of them are in my lap. The kitten wants to be in my lap constantly, but she can't reach it from the ground. So she jumps and grabs hold any way she can and climbs up. It hurts really bad, but I don't know what to do. I don't necissarily want to scold her because I know she isn't meaning to hurt me, just get in my lap. But my friend says that I shouldn't let her claw at all. And then I also feel bad because now she's starting to climb all the way up my leg to get in my lap, giving me new scars on my shins. I don't like that at all, and feel she shouldn't be allowed to do that, but I don't know if it's fair to allow one and not the other. I know that when she's bigger she will be able to reach my lap from the ground without clawing, but...what do I do in the mean time? What would you do in my situation?
Thanks

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clip her nails (which it is best to start at this age anyway) and than constantly be aware of where she is and when I notice her ready to pounce and claw her way up, pick her up instead. She'll learn she doesn't need to claw her way up she'll get first class service all the way!
Also, you can say "OW" in a forceful way and put her down and walk away.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Clip her nails (which it is best to start at this age anyway) and than constantly be aware of where she is and when I notice her ready to pounce and claw her way up, pick her up instead. She'll learn she doesn't need to claw her way up she'll get first class service all the way!
Also, you can say "OW" in a forceful way and put her down and walk away.
I think this is beautiful advice!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the problem with watching her and picking her up, is I'm studying and doing homework and she sneaks up on me. It's really got to stop, but I don't know what to do. I locked her out of my room earlier, but she just cried the whole time, which made me feel bad so i let her back in. I dont know what to do...I dont have time to go get trimmers, and i lost the ones i used to use on my rats. I'll go get some tomorrow, after I fail my test.
and she doesnt do it while i'm walking, just sitting. And I can't walk away from it because I have to cram for my exam, and like I said, if she'd settle i wouldmt mind her sitting in my lap...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then pick her up when she starts to climb up. And if it's too distracting, maybe go study in a library.

Do you have nail clippers you use? You can use those to trim her claws. We use "people" clippers on our cats.

Just remember.... there are a thousand reasons why something can't be done. You just need one why it can.

Laurie

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krickette

the problem with watching her and picking her up, is I'm studying and doing homework and she sneaks up on me. It's really got to stop, but I don't know what to do. I locked her out of my room earlier, but she just cried the whole time, which made me feel bad so i let her back in. I dont know what to do...I dont have time to go get trimmers, and i lost the ones i used to use on my rats. I'll go get some tomorrow, after I fail my test.
and she doesnt do it while i'm walking, just sitting. And I can't walk away from it because I have to cram for my exam, and like I said, if she'd settle i wouldmt mind her sitting in my lap...
Her problem is that anytime you are home, you are to busy to give her the attention any kitten needs and deserves. We all understand the fact that you are a college student and have little time for anything........In all fairness, why would you bring a kitten into that environment, then blame the kitten for your lack of responsibility. You should have started with a plant......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Her problem is that anytime you are home, you are to busy to give her the attention any kitten needs and deserves. We all understand the fact that you are a college student and have little time for anything........In all fairness, why would you bring a kitten into that environment, then blame the kitten for your lack of responsibility. You should have started with a plant......
Any other time I would have more than enough time to play with her and give her all the attention she needs. HOWEVER. This is finals week. It's the one week of my life where nothing matters. I have had less than 10 hours of sleep in the past 72 hours. One week of pure hell. Everyone has something in their lives once in a while where they can't deal with something. Lets say I had to go to the hospital for a week, would you give me as hard a time then? It's not like I am some horribly irresponsible person, really. I've been a responsible pet owner for 21 years. I have given that kitten loads of attention every chance I get. During this week while I've been studying, I have taken breaks to play with her every hour or so. Tomorrow is my last day of finals, and then I'm done.
But this isn't an incident that is isolated to during my studying, it happened before I started my study spree. Even when I was giving her gobs of attention she did it. And like I said, I don't blame her for jumping in my lap, I understand that she just can't reach it, and that's why I haven't scolded her for that.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Trimming her claws will help. You could also wear long pants.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something. You can also put a blanket or some other heavy material over your lap to guard your legs from her scratches. I also liked the advice of spending most of your time at the library. It's true that where there is a will there is a way. We all go through stressful times but with a kitten it is an important time in their lives, like a small child, they have needs and nothing is more important than a living breathing thing. I am sure you'll do fine on your exams, sounds like you are trying really hard to do all you can. Good luck! it's over soon!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats what I have to do with my Cinnie. I call her my little Cheetah because she never retracts her claws. As soon as I see her coming my way I tell her "wait" then I spread a blanket or what ever is handy and say " okay come on" she comes and kneads me.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Thats what I have to do with my Cinnie. I call her my little Cheetah because she never retracts her claws. As soon as I see her coming my way I tell her "wait" then I spread a blanket or what ever is handy and say " okay come on" she comes and kneads me.
Rocko is my killer with the claws.
I tell him to wait also and he listens than I make sure I have a comforter or something over me.