NUTRO Recall - Current - DRY

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is important - http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...DATE=__._,_.__

by ONE day, is the bag of Complete Care Adult Indoor I currently am feeding my guys, not included in this recall..please read the article including sypmtoms to watch for. I think I'm now on the hunt for a new food...again. This is too much.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

It is the dry cat food only?
yes at least according to that list it is only dry and a select few

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing. We are actually just about out of our dry food & it is nutro, but I threw the bags away. I would guess that in the short term this may not be a huge deal, but in the long term it may cause problems for the cat. I have tried all kinds of differnt foods, but Nutro Natural is the only food all 4 will eat and it does not give them the runs. This is just so frustrating. I don't know what to do for food now.

UPDATE: I was feeding a mix of weight management & the ocean fish flavor. Looks like the ocean fish flavor was affected, but the weight management was not. I'm not worried about any long term affects, but lets just say this explains why Jordan showed a reduction in appitite a couple of weeks ago. I checked the site & that is one of the main changes listed. Still not sure what I'm going to pick up at the store today, but I'll look around. (I tired the indoor formula in the past & they would not eat that formula)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Thanks for sharing. We are actually just about out of our dry food & it is nutro, but I threw the bags away. I would guess that in the short term this may not be a huge deal, but in the long term it may cause problems for the cat. I have tried all kinds of differnt foods, but Nutro Natural is the only food all 4 will eat and it does not give them the runs. This is just so frustrating. I don't know what to do for food now.
take the date codes with you .... and find bags not in that date code( likely be easy as the stores start pulling any recalled bags back

If you feed senior or wt control NC they seem not to be affected

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg my boys are eating this! Must check labels as soon as I get home.

ETA: had Doug check the bag and mine is on the recall list.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

take the date codes with you .... and find bags not in that date code( likely be easy as the stores start pulling any recalled bags back

If you feed senior or wt control NC they seem not to be affected
Oh yeah I could go back to just feeing the weight control. That would work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm upset because Ophelia's appetite is off but the date on my bag is from 1 day before this recall begins. However, I will not feed this again. Not sure if I even want to stay with nutro.

Sharky? advice re comparable cost lower phos, no corn etc. decent dry? At this point, only 1 cat under "senior"...dare to trust nutro and switch to their senior catizen recipe?? I will do some research later, but would like your opinion..still can not afford to put the crew onto homemade.

No crf'ers, Ophelia is a maybe heading towards diabetes so lower carb would be good.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bummer, I just bought a bag last night. Gonna check the dates. But at least I can feed them the senior one or WC, which the boys need anyway as they are both 2 pounds overweight.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Bummer, I just bought a bag last night. Gonna check the dates. But at least I can feed them the senior one or WC, which the boys need anyway as they are both 2 pounds overweight.
Take the bag and a print out of the recall. Any store that wants your continued business will at least exchange the bag for one not affected.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing this important information. I know I purchased a bag of Nutro Dry Food several weeks ago and we still have some left. My cats gobble it up and have not shown any signs of sickness. I am at work now, so I can't check the bag. I'm so nervous!!

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good grief. Maybe it's time to just stay away from Nutro and products manufactured by Mars. Oddly enough I came across a link regarding Nutro on newsweek? prior to the recall that made me suspicious of an upcoming recall. I asked at a local pet supply store if the had heard anything about it and they said they hadn't at that point.

I buy Eukanuba (mftd by Procter & Gamble)... Stopped buying Royal Canin, as much as Peanut loved her Royal Canin, because it's also manufactured by Mars and my logic was forget the whole $&# problem by buying from a completely different manufacturer.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine on the indoor adult, and recently switched to the senior, but thanks for the update!

Here's what's on the Nutro site, right up front - there's an FAQ as well.

Franklin, Tennessee (May 21, 2009) -- Today, Nutro Products announced a voluntary recall of select varieties of NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] NATURAL CHOICEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] COMPLETE CAREÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Dry Cat Foods and NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] MAXÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Dry Foods with “Best If Used By Dates” between May 12, 2010 and August 22, 2010. The cat food is being voluntarily recalled in the United States and ten additional countries. This recall is due to incorrect levels of zinc and potassium in our finished product resulting from a production error by a US-based premix supplier.

Two mineral premixes were affected. One premix contained excessive levels of zinc and under-supplemented potassium. The second premix under-supplemented potassium. Both zinc and potassium are essential nutrients for cats and are added as nutritional supplements to NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] dry cat food.

This issue was identified during an audit of our documentation from the supplier. An extensive review confirmed that only these two premixes were affected. This recall does not affect any NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] dog food products, wet dog or cat food, or dog and cat treats.

Affected product was distributed to retail customers in all 50 states, as well as to customers in Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, New Zealand, and Israel. We are working with all of our distributors and retail customers, in both the US and internationally, to ensure that the recalled products are not on store shelves. These products should not be sold or distributed further.

Consumers who have purchased affected product should immediately discontinue feeding the product to their cats, and switch to another product with a balanced nutritional profile. While we have received no consumer complaints related to this issue, cat owners should monitor their cat for symptoms, including a reduction in appetite or refusal of food, weight loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If your cat is experiencing health issues or is pregnant, please contact your veterinarian.

Consumers who have purchased product affected by this voluntary recall should return it to their retailer for a full refund or exchange for another NUTROÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] dry cat food product. Cat owners who have more questions about the recall should call 1-800-833-5330 between the hours 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM CST

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pat have you tried Taste of the Wild yet? Pure meat, no fillers. My cats love it. After losing several to the last pet food contamination, I take no chances. This food is made here in the PNW contains no dyes, fillers or gunk.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Can anyone confirm if this is just the US? My cats get a few nutro kibbles a day sprinkled on their RC.
SAM it does say some was distributed in NZ

Affected product was distributed to retail customers in all 50 states, as well as to customers in Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, New Zealand, and Israel. We are working with all of our distributors and retail customers, in both the US and internationally, to ensure that the recalled products are not on store shelves. These products should not be sold or distributed further

I would call as your UPC are likely different

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nutro's been what I feed my babies exclusively until two weeks ago. I've been switching them to the Kirkland Brand...thank God I decided to switch them!!! I just finished the bag of Nutro tonight...I'm gonna go toss that last little bit!