yogurt as cat treat?

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading a thread about cat's favorite treats and noticed that many people let thier pets eat yogurt. My cat does not care for much of anything that is people food except he insists upon getting at least a dab of my daily yogurt. He's picky. He will only eat Activa mixed berry or strawberry. He wont eat any of the other flavors or any "lite" yogurt. I feel I'm doing him a disservice by bending to his will (and head butts). Am I?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No why?

Because yoghurt is a milk product?? Dont worry, yoghurt is safe, the laktos content is much lesser then in milk.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I also wouldn't worry about him being picky about flavors. Freya loves Astro original French Vanilla (fortunately so does everyone else in the house
)

As long as it's only a little treat, I've never had a problem with yogurt. I actually had a vet recommend giving a little to Cotton once while he was on a fairly large dose of antibiotics, just to help keep his good bacteria up.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by diggerled

I was reading a thread about cat's favorite treats and noticed that many people let thier pets eat yogurt. My cat does not care for much of anything that is people food except he insists upon getting at least a dab of my daily yogurt. He's picky. He will only eat Activa mixed berry or strawberry. He wont eat any of the other flavors or any "lite" yogurt. I feel I'm doing him a disservice by bending to his will (and head butts). Am I?
There is a ritual around this house. When I get up in the morning I aways have a cup of natural Bulgarian yogurt. Persi immediately shows up and receives a spoon full. He absolutely loves it and since I am not giving him yogurt with jam or jelly in it, I believe that we both benefit healthwise. My other cat Alley will not touch it but Persi and I bond every morning over our yogurt ritual.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Plain yogurt is by far the favorite treat of my two kitties. They can't get enough of it but I try to limit it to a teaspoon daily.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
before i found this site i thought it was strange and odd that Sabastian loves yogurt, then when i posted it on here i see its quite normal. Nipper loves it as well, so far Princess shows no interest.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that the yogurt cultures in there make it less of a digestive issue for kitties b/c cats are naturally lactose-intolerant.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always let whatever cats I've had at the time lick the yogurt off the foil lid-liner. Never noticed any problems.

Probably some nut out there has tried to make their cat go vegetarian and live on yogurt...I don't imagine that would be good kitty nutrition. But surely an occasional nibble of yogurt for a cat can't be worse than an occasional nibble of chocolate for a human.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There seems to be some sort of reluctancy to youghurt, right?

I myself dont understand why, as it is a low lactose product and thus should be OK and good nutrition.

But there may be another reason. Sugar! Youghurt, especielly flavored youghurt, may contain added sugar. Sometimes quite a lot of sugar.

Yoghurt with a lot of added sugar is not poisonous in any way thus OK for treats, but in greater amount or given often NOT wholesome nutrition for cats. Quite opposite in fact.
I suppose there may also be the usual risk for caries.

Thus, plain, low sugar youghurt should be best both for cats AND humans, if you do have possibility to choose.