Question for the "older" ladies

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If any males are reading this, you may want to stop since this is a topic only for the ladies...

don't say I didn't warn you!

OK, I need some advice from the ladies who have gone through menopause. I am 52 and haven't had a real period in almost a year. That is until yesterday. I started again. It appears to be a "normal" period, but on the light side. No where near as heavy as I used to have but not the spotting I had in October.

Is this normal? I am lucky I had some supplies under the bathroom sink. I thought I was over all this.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to my mom.
She had not had a period in a year then she got one and got preg with my sister.
A lot of time period get periods after a year of not having them.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have not had one of "those" check-ups recently...
it might be wise, rather than guessing, for you to see your GYN to be sure your experience is normal for you.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

If you have not had one of "those" check-ups recently...
it might be wise, rather than guessing, for you to see your GYN to be sure your experience is normal for you.

I am going to be 50 and had a partial hysto... so I don't have a monthly visitor anymore. but I am having other symptoms - like insomnia.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be 52 and I skipped a couple of month since October. Not two months in a row though.
I have some other signs though off and on too-the not sleeping and some "power surges" aka hot flashes. Nothing to annoying thankfully!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m also 52 (how weird is that?) and went into peri-menopause at 37. My last period was at age 50----I mean that was the last time there was any spotting, etc. I went for 6 or 7 months at one stretch with absolutely nothing, then had a period again. When I'd finally gone a whole year with no bleeding what-so-ever I was thrilled!
One thing I've discovered about menopause is that no 2 women will have exactly the same experience. If you feel you should see a dr. by all means go and set your mind at ease. On the other hand, odds are this is normal for you.
I discovered those 'missing periods' are not to be taken lightly. I was never able to get pregnant, but when I started missing periods I actually used home pregnancy tests a few times!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have been having hot flashes occasionally. One thing that I have been having is the creepy crawly, achy feeling in my legs. Especially at night. I did a google search and that was one of the symptoms.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I'll be 52 and I skipped a couple of month since October. Not two months in a row though.
I have some other signs though off and on too-the not sleeping and some "power surges" aka hot flashes. Nothing to annoying thankfully!
Honestly I think you should see your doctor for a general checkup at this point in your life anyway.

Gail, wait until those power surges leave you weak and light-headed! Trust me that will be annoying.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm 51 and hadn't had a period all of '08 except for in december. 1 week before i had to go to the gyn. they did ultrasound and biopsy but everything is okay. i had another period in january and my last one so far was last month. but i'm having trouble sleeping and i get hotflashes. this is not going to be a fun summer.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by goonie

i'm 51 and hadn't had a period all of '08 except for in december. 1 week before i had to go to the gyn. they did ultrasound and biopsy but everything is okay. i had another period in january and my last one so far was last month. but i'm having trouble sleeping and i get hotflashes. this is not going to be a fun summer.
That's one of the reasons I love living in Canada. On cold days I often have to go outside in short sleeves and stand on the front porch to cool off. It feels so good to be standing there in below freezing temperatures and just cooling off.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. That happened to me. Scared me a little bit since I hadn't had one in a year or so. The doctor said it wasn't unusal for that to happen.

You might still want to go in for a check, bu I wouldn't worry.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me this was normal, after that I never saw my period again, thank God. I sure don't miss it. If you're concerned tho, just check it out with your gyno. I lost my period in my mid 40's so I was lucky, my Mom and sister lost their's early too.