Messy problem, please help.

weesnack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay I have two 4 month old Maine Coon boys and since we've had them they've had no issues using the litter, however, they poo, then they step in it. They've gotten a little better about burying it but they still step in it. So then they hop out of the litter box and shake their feet and fling poo all over the place and track it all over the house and then I either use kitty wipes or fill up the sink and dunk their paws in there depending on how bad the mess is.

I was using Tidy Cats at first, then tried switching back to World's Best Cat Litter (they should call it World's Most Expensive Cat Litter hehe), which is what they were trained to use at the cattery. I got them a mat to wipe their paws on and even upgraded to the biggest litter box that Petco had. We scoop the litter box twice a day and I'm just frustrated because I'm obviously not home 24-7 to watch them and make sure they don't step in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do? They keep getting diarrhea which doesn't help but I've brought them to the vet a couple times, they've been tested for parasites and all the stuff and the vets basically put them on Hill's I/D for two weeks. When I bring them to another vet (one that I've known and trusted for years) in a week to get neutered I'm going to ask him. Oh, and I'm feeding them Wellness Core. Ahh I'm so stressed about this issue, can anyone help me? Thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by WeeSnack

They keep getting diarrhea which doesn't help
I think the diarrheas are the key. Normal poo is like hard pears, or such. Dont fasten on their paws.
I think even their "normal" poo is a little too rare - it was my reaction even before I read this you wrote later on about the diarrheas.

So the problem is not to learn them behave, or even find best litter, but to stabilize their stomach-problems. Which you are trying to do...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the Wellness Core is too rich for them. My cats can't even handle regular Wellness without serious digestive upset. Do you know what the breeder fed them? Maybe you could put them back on that and their stomachs will settle?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weesnack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The breeder was feeding them Purina One, do you really think I should put them back on that? I'm so worried about them all the time, one of them has been throwing up lately too, today it was just liquid.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WeeSnack

The breeder was feeding them Purina One, do you really think I should put them back on that? I'm so worried about them all the time, one of them has been throwing up lately too, today it was just liquid.
Just to get their stomachs settled, then you could ease into something else that's better once their stools are normal again.
My cats are on Iams because it agrees with my cats the best, despite efforts to get them on something better.

Have you had them in to the vet to check for parasites?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, it sounds like it could be the food. Cats have very sensitive tummies and when switching them from one food to another, their digestive system needs time to adjust to the change.

You mentioned that at the breeder's they were eating Purina One. What did you start feeding them when you brought them home? Dry? Canned?

If they were used to dry, it might be best to keep them on that for a time and maybe even on the Purina, just to see how they do on that, at least until you can get them checked again by your vet (the one you trust) next week.

Also cats can have food allergies and it's also possible they are having an allergic reaction to the new food.

If after you have them back on the Purina and there is no improvement after a few days, I would have the vet do an ultrasound on them, just to be safe.

Also could it be they ate something they shouldn't, like maybe a piece of string or a piece of a toy, like the tail on a toy mouse?

Hope this helps! Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weesnack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well its been a couple days and I've switched them back to Purina One for now. (Yes, I did so gradually) and their stool is still runny but I think it's gotten better. When I first got them I very very slowly switched them to Wellness Core and I feed them canned a few times a week (I mix in this powder stuff the vet gave me to help) And yes, they've been the vet twice to check for other reasons (parasites, leukemia, etc)

I'm hoping this Purina One will help, I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for you help!!!