Ollie is standing on my shoulders grooming my hair.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I figure he's trying to be affectionate, so I'm letting him go to town. I'll just take a shower afterwards.

Is this normal for a cat to do to their owner? Ally does it to him and visa versa, but to do it to me is kinda weird.

He started with my ears, and moved on to my hair. I was about to pick him up off of me, but I figured I'd just let him do his thing for the moment.

It's kind of gross and kind of cute at the same time.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Oliver does it to me. From what I understand it's a sign of submission. Their own special way of paying homage to their owners. In the wild I know that dogs do it for the Alpha, and sometimes in lion prides they do it as a sign of affection.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any of my domestics do this, but Boris does as well as Carmelo. However, when Carmelo grooms me, I know I lose hair. His tongue is like 40 grit sandpaper. It feels great at first, bit if he does not move to a different spot, it becomes quite painful.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our family cat Midori likes to climb up behind us on the sofa and do this, mostly to me when I am home (probably 'cause I'm the cat person). As long as he isn't eating your hair like my Aya loves to do its okay, just enjoy the kitty luving...

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moose has done this off and on for a long time. He jumps from the floor to my shoulders, digs his claws in my head and licks my hair. It wouldn't be too bad, except the claws kinda hurt.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, ya, we are all cat people and understand so we would never say it's gross.
it's actually really sweet. he loves you!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha I agree with fifi1puss, I'd never say it's gross
Jake has done that a couple of times, but my hair is long and curly so his tongue gets lost in hair and it discourages him pretty quickly. He's also tried to scratch my hair but his nail got stuck in it and it was painful for both of us. Lately he's been staying off my head but he still grooms my hands which i like

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grooming is a sign of affection. They do it to each other. It's also a way of bonding. Unless it is forced grooming... pinning and grooming,,, which is a sign of dominance of the groomer over the groomee. Putting his/her smell on the recipient. Right up there with preaching (rubbing the face on you.)

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cammy does it to my fiance at night. She's done it to me a couple times. It's really sweet. My future MIL's cat does it to her everywhere she can reach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just watched Ollie go take a turd out of the litter box with his mouth to go play with it. Had to have him put it down and go put it in the toilet.

I'm not letting him lick me anymore.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

I just watched Ollie go take a turd out of the litter box with his mouth to go play with it. Had to have him put it down and go put it in the toilet.

Cat owners tend to put up with a lot of grossness. Guess where else that toungue has been? They wash their bum with it too you know...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

That's just toooo funny!!! Sometimes they play poop hockey with those dried pieces!!! Really. I'm not kidding.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just wanted to say that Bodhi and Siddha try to groom me quite often - usually they just lick my hands or arms but sometimes it's my face (especially in the middle of the night.)
Occasionally, Bodhi gets the idea that he wants to groom my hair but it only takes him one attempt at hair that's at least shoulder length to realize I'm way too "long-haired" for him!

We definitely love our fur-kids, and they love us too!!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My pooh bear, when she is taking a bath will lick me if i put my face by her, i try to not think of where it has been....lmao. My grandma's cat Molly (the craz cat!!) tries to eat peoples hair
she will put her paws on your head to hold you down, and then slowly start rubbing her face and lick your hair, then she goes crazy and starts chewing on it, when you try to leave she attacks you lol she is so silly! Dont you just love cats??

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just about every night and sometimes a few times a night Princess will knead my head/hair, sometimes its very relaxing and puts me back to sleep. other times it keep me awake, but when i look up to that fuzzy face and round eyes purring looking down at me i let her go to town

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

That's just toooo funny!!! Sometimes they play poop hockey with those dried pieces!!! Really. I'm not kidding.
A very good reason to scoop often!