Raw vs. Grain Free

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a big difference? If a cat is already getting grain free is it still advisable to switch to raw? Or if I didn't switch her over to raw are there some supplements that I should include in my cats diet (powdered)?

Thanks a bunch

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, there are many who will tell you that feeding raw isn't advisable at all. I'm not one of them.

By "grain free" are you referring to wet of dry?

In either case it isn't a matter of just adding something to a commercial processed food and, viola, you have the equivalent of raw. The commercial pet food manufacturers already add back the basic nutrients that get destroyed during processing. Unfortunately they also add a bunch of other stuff that isn't part of a cats natural diet (grains, fruits, veggies, artificial colors and flavors, etc) and what they add back that is part of a cats natural diet is better obtained in it's natural form from raw meat.

Take a look at this site. Dr. Pierson explains it better than I can:

www.catinfo.org

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DogStar5988

Is there a big difference? If a cat is already getting grain free is it still advisable to switch to raw? Or if I didn't switch her over to raw are there some supplements that I should include in my cats diet (powdered)?

Thanks a bunch
It depends on your cat and your way of life ( raw is not something a person with reasonable sense attempts without extensive research and at least a talk with a knowledgeable professional )

Grain free IMHO in a wet is going to be relatively easy for the ave cat owner ... Grain free dry I give a mixed review too via personal experience ...

I would do raw and save $$ if my crew would do it but alas they wont ... I have had great success with some animals and raw but current ones eat mainly low to no grain foods

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

First, there are many who will tell you that feeding raw isn't advisable at all. I'm not one of them.

By "grain free" are you referring to wet of dry?

In either case it isn't a matter of just adding something to a commercial processed food and, viola, you have the equivalent of raw. The commercial pet food manufacturers already add back the basic nutrients that get destroyed during processing. Unfortunately they also add a bunch of other stuff that isn't part of a cats natural diet (grains, fruits, veggies, artificial colors and flavors, etc) and what they add back that is part of a cats natural diet is better obtained in it's natural form from raw meat.

Take a look at this site. Dr. Pierson explains it better than I can:

www.catinfo.org
Thanks for the link. Panther is on a diet of Wellness CORE dry (1/2cup/day) and Wellness wet (3oz/day) both of which are mostly grain free. I was just wondering if the difference can be made up easily enough, or if its even necessary.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DogStar5988

Thanks for the link. Panther is on a diet of Wellness CORE dry (1/2cup/day) and Wellness wet (3oz/day) both of which are mostly grain free. I was just wondering if the difference can be made up easily enough, or if its even necessary.
No, you really can't make commercial processed foods the equivalent of raw by doctoring it in some way. The differences are too many and too fundamental.

Whether the benefits of raw are necessary is a matter of great debate. My personal belief is that a great many health problems can be avoided by *not* feeding commercial processed pet foods. Dr. Piersons website goes into that. Another good one is:

www.catnutrition.org

One undeniable benefit for me is that feeding raw has meant that I don't have to feed my struvite crystal prone kitty either a prescription food or specific non-prescription foods that have ever changing ingredients and so can become inappropriate for her without notice.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my exotic/wild cats get an all raw meat diet. They get the meat with bone, nothing else is added except for a vitamin supplement made for these cats. One thing I notice, is that my big cats do not have issues with their teeth, like domestic cats do, that have been fed commercial dry diets. The chewing on the raw meat and bone (the meat is not ground) keeps their teeth and gums clean. Also, their stools are not like that of a cat fed a commercial diet. There is less and the odor is not strong.