Need some positive vibes, please...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A while ago I wrote of Chance, my buddy that came out of the cold and found a home in my garage:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196561

We haven't seen Chance since Friday. I know, you're probably thinking, "Yeah, and..?", but Chance has been very territorial of "his" home since he arrived, and he's never been gone more than a few days. He loves his bed, and he loves his food.

But the food hasn't been touched.

I scoured the neighborhood on my lunch break, talked to neighbors (one of which Chance frequents regularly; she hasn't seen him either), and thus far, nothing. We've had beautiful weather lately, so I'm praying to God that he's just on a little vacation somewhere, frolicking in the woods, or in someone's lush grass, as he so loves to do.

I'm going to make some nice color posters of him tonight after work, post them throughout the neighborhood, take one over to Animal Control. Still, I feel so powerless.

I feel like my heart is just dying. He's such a good boy, so loving. You can tell how he just loves life and the simple things; peering at you from afar through the grass, rolling on the sidewalk as I'm pulling weeds, just wanting to be a part of your moment.

I'm here sitting in a cubicle, trying to act like I give a damn about what I'm doing, pushing back tears because my heart is elsewhere.

Really needing some kind words from people that understand.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats like kids make us worry for sure! I am sure he is just having a good ol' time romping around the neighborhoods. Sometimes they go pretty far. On adventures.
He'll be back anyday I am sure! Keep your eyes and ears out for him. I think being busy and proactive about locating him is a good thing. Make you feel less powerless. Might be a good thing, maybe someone else has caught his attention and when they see your posters will know he has someone out there who loves him and wants him back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breellablue

Any updates?
Nothing yet. My friend here at work fashioned up some wonderful "Lost cat" ads that I will be laminating shortly and posting about.

It's just the "not knowing", you know. I could deal with things such as Chance finding another place to live, or even something as traumatic as being killed by another animal in certain circumstances, as horrible as that sounds. At least it's a natural evolution of things, though an awful one.

It's the thought of someone being cruel to him, be it through neglect or just egregious malice. Or being hit by a car. The potential evils of human intervention. These are the things that just penetrate my being and make me swell up with sorrow, when there's no evidence of any of it being present.

I have a newfound sympathy for those with lost children. Not that I'm making an equivalency necessarily, but just with that feeling of hopelessness and resounding potential loss.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no! What town/city/village do you live in? Did you go to Animal Control to see if he is there? Check several! Post on CL as well.

that you get your sweet boy back!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of he comes back soon.

Check with local shelters, put up posters, run an ad in the paper, and don't forget to call local vets/get posters to the local vets.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in Jackson; I have a nice descriptive "Lost cat" ad with pictures that I plan on taking over there tomorrow at lunch. At the god-awful location where AC used to be, they at least had a bulletin board for lost pets. I can't say say as I remember there being one at the new place. Fingers crossed. At least the workers will be able to look for my boy if he should make his way there.

Hopefully I'll have good news for you all, tomorrow morning. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

I'm in Jackson; I have a nice descriptive "Lost cat" ad with pictures that I plan on taking over there tomorrow at lunch. At the god-awful location where AC used to be, they at least had a bulletin board for lost pets. I can't say say as I remember there being one at the new place. Fingers crossed. At least the workers will be able to look for my boy if he should make his way there.

Hopefully I'll have good news for you all, tomorrow morning. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
I have heard that Jackson Co. AC is a high kill shelter so in a way I hope he's not there. Best wishes again to find Chance!!!

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chance is home.

Put up posters all over the neighborhood and at area merchants after work last night, hung out at the house for a bit, then went back to my apartment and crashed after an emotional day.

At about 10:15, maybe an hour after I left there, I got the call that Chance was back. I told my friend that Chance probably saw those posters and knew he'd better get his butt back home, or he was gonna be in for it!

So, for added peace of mind, I'm going to get him a collar and I.D. tag today, for if/when this happens again. A friend told me to not get a tag necessarily, as it could get caught on things, but to just write the info on the collar with a sharpie. I'd never heard of that. Thoughts?

Can't tell you how grateful I am for the kind words and vibes. It got me through my afternoon.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keycube, I am SO happy Chance came back home. I know that horrible feeling. Many years ago we had a neutered male cat (brought into the home as a baby, not as a stray) and he would sometimes wander off and be gone for two entire days and nights.

It would terrify me. I now wonder if he was getting shut up somewhere. He always came back, though, and died in his sleep at the age of 20-1/2.

Again, I'm happy for you.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, Chance! Welcome Home -- now please don't do that again, eh, fella? -- or at least if you must go on vacation, send a postcard --OK?

Glad to hear your boy is back.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people do write with the sharpies but it fades sometimes. A small tag with a safe collar should be fine.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tags & collars *can* get caught in things, especially in outdoor/free roaming cats.

You could microchip him, or else there are collars on the market that you can get their name/your phone number embroidered into the collar itself. They also make tags that will slide onto the collar.