update on Mao

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has 2
babies still in her, she has a fever and probably an infection, and she is dehydrated. They are doing a c-section/spay plus labs and other stuff right now.

The babies are all looking good. The vet said they must've been overdue (I was wondering that the whole time, now I am kicking myself), 3 of the big babies all have their fangs.
Mao will probably have to spend the night, but they are going to try to get her home and nursing before her milk dries up, they said that can be a problem after spaying her.
So the babies are going in right now with Sadie. I am going to add a heating pad to half of the nest, and I've already got the formula and bottles, all per the vet. Boy, am I going to need a lot of support to get through this.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh poor Mao!

Lot's of healing vibes coming her way. Does the vet think the other two kittens are still alive? How is Sadie doing with the extra kittens? Is she feeding them or did you have to start bottle feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet thinks the babies are dead. Wow, Mao would've had 9 babies!!! Sadie has had the babies for about 20 minutes. She licked them and sniffed them, and now she is taking a nap next to them. She tried to take one over to HER nest of 4 babies but I stopped her(for now). I'll have to feed the babies in about 45 minutes unless they are screaming before then.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to my brothers cat.
There was a dead kitten in her and it was over 4000 for the treatment.
Shadow had 4 or 5 kittens all fine then one 2 days later.
Then she had a infection and they found a dead kitten in her.
She is fine now and it has been over 2 years.
Shadows kittens had to be bottle fed because she got a infection in her breast after she was spayed and needed more surgery.
I hope your cat will be ok now.
Shadow did still have milk after.
My Meeko and Sasha are Shadows girls that I have.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Mao!!! And her new little ones!!!!! that everything turns out ok.

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am hoping she can still nurse. I will be taking the babies with me to see her this evening after she recovers.
I am looking at about $1200 for just the surgery. That doesn't include anything that may pop up or her follow ups. So we will be cancelling our vacation plans for August. I don't care if I live on Ramen noodles for the next month, I just want Mao to be okay, but I guess I am in good company because I bet everyone else here on this site would do the same thing

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for Mao, and all the little ones, and for you too as you go through this. At least Mao has you in her corner to help her as much as possible.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about the kittens. Is this her first litter? I think that you should let Sadie keep Mao's kittens with her own, less work for her to go back and forth. I have done this with moms in distress and never had problems, matter of fact they each feed, clean and care for each others kittens now.

for Mao and
for her kittens.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have another cat that is nursing kittens? If you do let the other cat take them on, I would still supplement feed them...thats alot of kittens on one cat and may overwhem her body trying to feed that many. Also have you had her and the babies tested for fiv/felv? I would be scared to pass something between the kittens and mama and the other kittens! for Mao to recover quickly!!

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I checked on the babies, she had taken a few over to her nest, so I pushed Mao's nest (basket) close to Sadie's. How will I know If I need to feed them? Will they be crying a lot?

Okay, the vet called. The surgery went well and Mao is in recovery. There were no babies in there! But both horns had not contracted down after the last babies were born, and the one horn on her left (where I felt the "baby") had twisted and she said both horns had just turned gelatinous. She said it could be an early stage of (someword that started with an M) infection, or a problem with her calcium. So she is running more tests and will call me around 5:00.
MY BABY'S OKAY!!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nursedoggett

I checked on the babies, she had taken a few over to her nest, so I pushed Mao's nest (basket) close to Sadie's. How will I know If I need to feed them? Will they be crying a lot?

Okay, the vet called. The surgery went well and Mao is in recovery. There were no babies in there! But both horns had not contracted down after the last babies were born, and the one horn on her left (where I felt the "baby") had twisted and she said both horns had just turned gelatinous. She said it could be an early stage of (someword that started with an M) infection, or a problem with her calcium. So she is running more tests and will call me around 5:00.
MY BABY'S OKAY!!
I am so happy she is ok!!!

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

You have another cat that is nursing kittens? If you do let the other cat take them on, I would still supplement feed them...thats alot of kittens on one cat and may overwhem her body trying to feed that many. Also have you had her and the babies tested for fiv/felv? I would be scared to pass something between the kittens and mama and the other kittens! for Mao to recover quickly!!
All three of my kitties have had negative tests in the past. But they have never been outside until this time that they got pregnant. Both Sadie and Mao had some vaccines in March, before we knew they were pregnant. I think the only vaccine we didn't do that day was Rabies, because my vet said she does that one two weeks after the others.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All three of my kitties have had negative tests in the past. But they have never been outside until this time that they got pregnant. Both Sadie and Mao had some vaccines in March, before we knew they were pregnant. I think the only vaccine we didn't do that day was Rabies, because my vet said she does that one two weeks after the others.
Were they vaccinated for fiv/felv (I know these are debatable vaccines) prior to them going outside? I would not feel comfortable letting the 2 litters mingle without knowing 100% that everyone is fiv/felv negative. Bottlefeeding is hard but rewarding!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am hoping she can still nurse. I will be taking the babies with me to see her this evening after she recovers.
I am looking at about $1200 for just the surgery. That doesn't include anything that may pop up or her follow ups. So we will be cancelling our vacation plans for August. I don't care if I live on Ramen noodles for the next month, I just want Mao to be okay, but I guess I am in good company because I bet everyone else here on this site would do the same thing
Of course we would!

I'm happy to read that she's recovering. Lots of for Mao, the babies and you!

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a horrible way to have to get spayed. Glad there weren't any kittens in there though.

and more

As for the supplemental feedings mix up some KMR, take the kittens out one by one and see how much they'll eat. I believe I read somewhere you have a scale already so be sure to weigh the kittens daily and watch their weight, if you don't have a kitchen scale that works in ounces you should invest in one. Also KMR is good for nursing mommies so Sadie should get some too, and give her some really good kitten food to help. Nursing moms can get low on essential vitamins and minerals, and nursing many kittens does it faster.

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, right now I can't remember. But the vet that did all of their shots is the vet Mao is at right now, and she's the one that told me to put them together. I go to see Mao at 6:00, I will ask her then. The vet said mao's bloodwork shows anemia, low iron, and infection, and everything else looked okay, oh, and she has a mild ear infection in one ear.
Just an hour until I see my baby!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a problem with the kittens sharing mommas if there are no health issues. Possibly when Mao comes back she will take care of Sadies as well. Tag-team mommas!

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I don't think it's a problem with the kittens sharing mommas if there are no health issues. Possibly when Mao comes back she will take care of Sadies as well. Tag-team mommas!
Don't we all wish we had that with OUR children? LOL
I am trying to find more information about kittens being born with teeth, but I am not having any luck. Any ideas? I'll see if I can get a pic.