Should Roke eat this?

prairieduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Up to now,I've been feeding Rokeniva Friskies Seafood Sensation,but now I'm not sure if that is a healthy food brand,or if it's nothing but junk. Does anybody have any recomending ideas on what I should feed my cat?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friskies is a low end food ... if you can afford to and have access there are far IMHO better foods... Where in the world are you??

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrairieDuck

Up to now,I've been feeding Rokeniva Friskies Seafood Sensation,but now I'm not sure if that is a healthy food brand,or if it's nothing but junk. Does anybody have any recomending ideas on what I should feed my cat?
What is your budget for catfood?

Friskies is not a high end food, and if you have a male cat, I would watch the seafood/fish food. If you wanted to stay with friskies, have a look at the chicken flavours. But if you can afford to switch, then that would be better.

What stores do you have around you, and can you spend more $ on cat food than the friskies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairieduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the person who asked where I am,I'm in the state of Illinois. When I first got Roke,I was imformed that it's better to feed her dry food instead of the canned wet food.

I usualy shop at Walmart,so I bought that food there. But I do have both PetCo,and Petsmart available to me too.

This morning,I called her vets with the same question,and Iams was recommended.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Cammy Wellness canned. I tried to feed her both Wellness canned and dry but she wouldn't eat the dry. Wellness is pretty good IMO.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For the person who asked where I am,I'm in the state of Illinois. When I first got Roke,I was imformed that it's better to feed her dry food instead of the canned wet food.

I usualy shop at Walmart,so I bought that food there. But I do have both PetCo,and Petsmart available to me too.

Unfortunately not many vets have nutrition training and even the ones that say they do (like my own new vet) seem to feel Hills/Science Diet and Iams are great foods. I beg to differ. Sharky is our food guru and has much knowledge and experience with food and I personally would take her advice over even my vet. A wet food diet is most certainly the healthiest because often cats do not drink enough water. Having said that, there are some cats that just won't eat wet food. For those cats, my advice is buy a water fountain and hope the little beggers will drink more water. It took me many foods but I finally found a wet that Bijou will eat and since I got the water fountain he certainly drinks more water.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately vets are not the best source for advice on nutrition... You'd think they were, but IMO they are far from having a true understanding of feline nutrition...
You were probably recommended to feed dry due to their teeth health - this is a myth by the way. Because cats are not really good water drinkers (mostly), feeding wet food is the best way to guarantee their water consumption. A purely wet diet however, can be cost prohibitive, so many of us feed a mix of wet and dry. As far as it goes, Iams, IMHO, is just overpriced junk.
Try to look at the first 5-6 ingredients of the food you are buying. Make sure the first ingredient is a named meat source of protein. Stay away from by-products. Also try to stay away from corn, as much as you can. Try to get a food that has one grain source, or no grain at all. Soy can be an allergen, so it's also good to stay away from it.
If you have a budget, we can make some suggestions with the stores you have close to you...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairieduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure,I want to see the list. I want to ensure that Roke is eating the right cat food with the most health benefits around.

I'm going shopping in 20 minutes.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
petco i think has the most food choices.

list of petco dry foods: AvoDerm, Blue Buffalo, Breeder's Choice, Castor & Pollux, Eukanuba, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Goodlife Recipe, Halo, Hill's Science Diet, Iams, MAX, Meow Mix, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Nature's Best, Nutro, ONE, Organix, Pet Promise, Pinnacle, Pro Plan, Purina, Royal Canin, Selects, Solid Gold, Spa Select, The Goodlife Recipe, Ultramix, Wellness, Wholesome Goodness,

list of petco wet foods: 9 Lives, AvoDerm, Blue Buffalo, Breeder's Choice, Castor & Pollux, Del Monte, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Halo, Hill's Science Diet, Iams, MAX, Meow Mix, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Nature's Recipe, Nutro, Organix, Pet Promise, Pinnacle, Pro Plan, Purina, Selects, Sheba, Solid Gold, Spa Select, Ultramix, Wellness

blue buffalo wilderness is good; their wilderness wet food i think cat canned is same as dog canned but dog is cheaper. natural balance i am using right now and it is working well for mine. Pinnacle is good but expensive. wellness is a good food.

if you can't afford expensive food purina naturals is an okay food.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, IMO, whatever you end up feeding, if your cat thrives on it and is happy, and you're happy, and your vet is happy - do not let anyone make you feel badly about your choice.

There is no one perfect diet, feline nutrition is itself an evolving science, and we all have our own time and budget constraints. You love your cat, and you're doing your best - and no one can, or should, criticize any pet parent for that.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

petco i think has the most food choices.

list of petco dry foods: AvoDerm, Blue Buffalo, Breeder's Choice, Castor & Pollux, Eukanuba, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Goodlife Recipe, Halo, Hill's Science Diet, Iams, MAX, Meow Mix, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Nature's Best, Nutro, ONE, Organix, Pet Promise, Pinnacle, Pro Plan, Purina, Royal Canin, Selects, Solid Gold, Spa Select, The Goodlife Recipe, Ultramix, Wellness, Wholesome Goodness,

list of petco wet foods: 9 Lives, AvoDerm, Blue Buffalo, Breeder's Choice, Castor & Pollux, Del Monte, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Halo, Hill's Science Diet, Iams, MAX, Meow Mix, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Nature's Recipe, Nutro, Organix, Pet Promise, Pinnacle, Pro Plan, Purina, Selects, Sheba, Solid Gold, Spa Select, Ultramix, Wellness

blue buffalo wilderness is good; their wilderness wet food i think cat canned is same as dog canned but dog is cheaper. natural balance i am using right now and it is working well for mine. Pinnacle is good but expensive. wellness is a good food.

if you can't afford expensive food purina naturals is an okay food.
Blue Buffalo, Halo, MAX, Natural Balance, Nutro, Solid Gold, Wellness - For me these are all good foods. Wellness IMO is one of the best in the list. I also like Nutro, and the cats seem to like it as well. My pick would be Solid Gold, as it is grain free, and has very good ingredients. Whatever you buy, buy a small bag first, as you never know if the kitty will eat it or not.

As far as wet goes, I would just go with the Wellness grain free - kitties like it, and has good, solid ingredients, without any of the junk.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, if you buy at Petsmart or Petco, hang on to the receipt - you can return any food they won't eat. I'm near the Wheaton Petco and Petsmart and have returned food, toys, you name it - they're good about it, as long as they can tell you're not abusing the system.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Blue Buffalo, Halo, MAX, Natural Balance, Nutro, Solid Gold, Wellness - For me these are all good foods. Wellness IMO is one of the best in the list. I also like Nutro, and the cats seem to like it as well. My pick would be Solid Gold, as it is grain free, and has very good ingredients. Whatever you buy, buy a small bag first, as you never know if the kitty will eat it or not.

As far as wet goes, I would just go with the Wellness grain free - kitties like it, and has good, solid ingredients, without any of the junk.
purrsonaly i do not like halo at all. the one i have looked at has chicken as first ingrediant but then tons of junk cats don't need. besides the chicken will move to 5th or 6th ingrediant after cooking. halo made the food look appealing to people but it is not good at all for cats.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

purrsonaly i do not like halo at all. the one i have looked at has chicken as first ingrediant but then tons of junk cats don't need. besides the chicken will move to 5th or 6th ingrediant after cooking. halo made the food look appealing to people but it is not good at all for cats.
I see no junk on Halo, but the only thing is that there are better food choices for the price. Still a good food where the ingredients are concerned. My only concern is a lot of peas, but again, there is really no perfect food

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also don't think Halo is that good but as others have said, if that's the only food your cat will eat then it is a good food.

Apparently you also need to be concerned with feeding an all protein diet (no grains) to male cats over the age of 7. I have had 2 vets tell me to keep an eye on Bijou's kidneys if I continue to feed Orijen.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
halo dry ingrediants: Chicken, Pea Protein, Whole Dry Eggs, Oats, Pearled Barley, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Pea Flour, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite

judging by the ingrediants i don't think it is good. chicken IS the first ingrediant, but i am pretty sure that they make the ingrediant lists before the food is actually made. chicken is mostly water, so when it gets dried up to make dry food it can easily move to the 5th or 6th ingrediant.

most of the protein then is coming from the peas in it, so the food is more veggies/fruits/plants than any meat. the taurine is low, most good foods are 0.2 not 0.1.

it has a lot of veggies/fruits in it which cats as obligate carnivores can't digest. http://www.felinefuture.com/nutritio...vegetables.php read that and you will understand better what i mean by that.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

halo dry ingrediants: Chicken, Pea Protein, Whole Dry Eggs, Oats, Pearled Barley, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Pea Flour, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite

judging by the ingrediants i don't think it is good. chicken IS the first ingrediant, but i am pretty sure that they make the ingrediant lists before the food is actually made. chicken is mostly water, so when it gets dried up to make dry food it can easily move to the 5th or 6th ingrediant.

most of the protein then is coming from the peas in it, so the food is more veggies/fruits/plants than any meat. the taurine is low, most good foods are 0.2 not 0.1.

it has a lot of veggies/fruits in it which cats as obligate carnivores can't digest. http://www.felinefuture.com/nutritio...vegetables.php read that and you will understand better what i mean by that.
I have read it, and researched plenty... In fact, I am always researching
- again, I do not think it can be put on the category of junk food. There are no by-products, no corn, no artificial flavors, and has a lot of probiotics, which is nice. IMO, junk is purina, Iams, Friskies, etc. Halo is not the best, but IMO, not junk either.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
however lots of the probiotics aren't there any way because they would have been killed during processing. first real ingrediant is pea protein and it has very low taurine. i would never feed this to my cats, because of the way the ingrediants really end up. i'd sooner feed iams than halo!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I also don't think Halo is that good but as others have said, if that's the only food your cat will eat then it is a good food.

Apparently you also need to be concerned with feeding an all protein diet (no grains) to male cats over the age of 7. I have had 2 vets tell me to keep an eye on Bijou's kidneys if I continue to feed Orijen.
And I do also agree with your vets about 7 yr old and grain free dry
Halo is what I call decent to good ... IMHO $$$$$ are way to high .... I place it with Purina naturals due to ingredients ... If kitty like s and you can afford there IMHO are FAR worse foods

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
price/ingredient-wise, Petsmart's Authority is a decent food [both the wet & the dry]. the wet lamb & rice is the only non-fish-containing wet, tho [only a concern for males sensitive to fish]. altho the Chicken Soup brand is also decent, it is NOT sold at commercial stores [Petco, Petsmart, Wal-Mart, etc.]. i've only found it at feed stores.
oh, Wal-Mart's Maxximum is also decent, altho i've found it to be more expensive than the Authority.