Major change in popular dog food line

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an FYI
Natural choice by Nutro used to be a food I recommended for quality and price ..

NOW it has changed formula not like the cat where they added chicken( fresh) after the chicken meal but in the dog it is first ...

ie - NC ingredients are now chicken , br rice , rice and rice bran then chicken meal ... on ave this is 40-45$ a bag for lots of GRAIN

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for the update, looks like I'll be searching for a different food. Nutro has been disappointing me a lot lately.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's part of the reason I switched Hagan off of the Nutro Natral Choice Large Breed Puppy and onto a different brand. His coat started to look crappy and his stools were soft. Not the results I wanted for the price I was paying! I'm much happier with his new food. I also switched my cats off of nutro recently as well and have been much happier with the results.

(Side note, didn't Nutro just have a recall on some cat products???)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Nutro did a "voluntary" recall recently.

sugarlandchic83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks y'all for posting this! My bb (maltese) was having the same problem (although for small dogs). What did you all switch to if you dont mind me asking? (AND IM CROSSING FINGERS YOU SAY SOMETHING CHEAPER! LOL!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SugarLandChic83

Thanks y'all for posting this! My bb (maltese) was having the same problem (although for small dogs). What did you all switch to if you dont mind me asking? (AND IM CROSSING FINGERS YOU SAY SOMETHING CHEAPER! LOL!)
foods similar to it and can be cheaper

sensible choice

california natural

authority

diamond naturals ( usually cheaper)

kirkland which is diamond naturals just under Costco labeling

Grain free

Taste of the wild ( about 10$ for 5 lbs

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Yes, Nutro did a "voluntary" recall recently.
Nutro came off my list with that recall. Muddy wound up blocked from a bad batch, and my vet told me that they had a cat die from that food.

It certainly seems that Nutro has changed their business model from caring for their customers to making a buck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Nutro came off my list with that recall. Muddy wound up blocked from a bad batch, and my vet told me that they had a cat die from that food.

It certainly seems that Nutro has changed their business model from caring for their customers to making a buck.
Did the vet report both incidence to both Nutro and the FDA ?? or at the least the local usda field office?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Did the vet report both incidence to both Nutro and the FDA ?? or at the least the local usda field office?
Nope - I didn't have the original bag so couldn't prove it, but did go back to the store where I bought it from and they had pulled everything because their entire stock was part of the recall. The cat who died had other health issues that could be blamed for his death. The food just pushed him over the edge.