Flea control meds

kortmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for flea control meds for my cat (and the neighbors 3). Because of a disability, I have limited dexterity and believe drops on the back may be easiest to dose with. My vet recommends Revolution but it is very pricey from him. I see a wide range of prices online with and without a Rx. Any guidance appreciated. Ken

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally like frontline, I have had the best results with it. I use it for my cats as well as all my rescues! never had a problem with fleas. Both of my brothers also use it and also like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kortmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would you just pick the best price online or are there sites to avoid?

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Drs. Foster & Smith. When I used to search, they usually had close to the best price (for the Revolution at least.) My vet says it is the exact same medication that they sell and gives me a prescription to either mail, or they will fax it for me. Matter of fact, they just faxed it in yesterday and I got an email today that it has been FedExed. I believe it was 62.95 for a six month supply and the shipping is free. I highly recommend them.

Anne

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I buy it from my vet, I am scared to order any meds online...for my cats or myself.
Same here. Unfortunately not all on-line meds are safe or even the same ingredients as what you get at a vet.

If your vet gives you a prescription to an online site then I suppose you would feel comfortable with that but IMO not all vets are created equal. I like my new vet but he thinks Hills Science Diet is good food.
That tells me a lot about his nutrition knowledge and I assume other vets may not know as much as they probably should about online medications.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about not all vets are equal
It took us forever to find a great vet! ours supports raw feeding and works wityh our rescue! they are awesome!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Same here. Unfortunately not all on-line meds are safe or even the same ingredients as what you get at a vet.
Wow, this is a very scary thought! Are you referring to products like Advantage, Revolution etc? If you order those on line, aren't you getting the very product put out by the manufacturer? Wouldn't it be illegal for online companies to tamper with the meds?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Wow, this is a very scary thought! Are you referring to products like Advantage, Revolution etc? If you order those on line, aren't you getting the very product put out by the manufacturer? Wouldn't it be illegal for online companies to tamper with the meds?
Anyone? Can you please clarify? Thanks!

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy Frontline Plus online at the PetMedStore.com. It IS the real deal, I've been ordering for years. You can also order by phone by calling 1-800-308-4109 and talk directly to the fellow who runs the place.

I have also ordered from canadavet.com. Their toll free # is 1-877-822-6838.

I've yet to have a bad experience with the product from either place [and I've got 6 cats].

P.S. the prices online are much cheaper than from your vet or petstore. Always comparison shop before you buy.

Good Luck.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just get my Frontline (dogs) and Advantage (cats) from my vet. She'll match prices that I find online and it does save me shipping costs.

To the original poster - you're decision to do the drops on the back is a very good choice. This seems to work the best with most cats, and as others state, just make sure that it is the same formula as sold by a vet.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Anyone? Can you please clarify? Thanks!
I don't know all the angles on this, but there has been a lot of discussion on this site about products being manufactured in other countries with the Advantage or Frontline label that aren't the same as what is sold thru a vet in the states. There was a lot of research done on this and proven to be true. Someone else can probably chime in and explain this better than I can.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Drs. Foster & Smith and 1-800-PetMeds are both very reputable sites. My own vet has told me it is perfectly safe to use either of them.

Anne