Teeth

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I have noticed that Tessies back teeth are getting pretty yellow. I started brushing her teeth but is there anything else I can do? I would love to pay to get her teeth cleaned but can't afford it at this time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
brushing is the best but I also use the feline greenies. My cats love them and it has helped their teeth stay really nice. Rocko had black stuff on his teeth when I got him and its gone now. His teeth have improved alot and the vet recently said they look really good for a cat his age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

brushing is the best but I also use the feline greenies. My cats love them and it has helped their teeth stay really nice. Rocko had black stuff on his teeth when I got him and its gone now. His teeth have improved alot and the vet recently said they look really good for a cat his age.
You know what really stinks, my cat doesnt chew her food
. I have greenies but she swallows them whole (the little brat).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

You know what really stinks, my cat doesnt chew her food
. I have greenies but she swallows them whole (the little brat).
Most cats do not chew - they swallow whole. Cat jaws only go up and down not side to side so they generally don't chew. Most often they will break the larger pieces with the tip of their tooth which does nothing to help with plaque at the gum line. Many folks are under the impression that dry food helps keep teeth clean but that is not so. In fact, if you compare eating a dry cracker with eating a spoonful of beef stew yourself, which one is going to leave the most material behind between your teeth? The cracker!

If you can get your cat to gnaw on a raw chicken wing that would help the teeth. My cat wouldn't touch raw meat if I sprinkled catnip on it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a product called Petz Life gel which is a teeth cleaner. It helps keep the teeth clean and also helps their breath. It's worked really well for my dogs, but I haven't used it long enough for the cats to see a difference yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help

One more thing, if you don't mind. How often should I feed her the chicken wing? Also if I gave one too her, does that replace her wet meal at night?

Thanks!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A single chicken wing is only going to weigh about 2 ounces top and that's bone in weight so it won't replace the evening meal probably--asumming you feed 3 ounces of wet--when I feed bone, I really don't figure in the bone weight, just the weight of the meat so probably only an ounce of chicken on the wing. Long story short no, you'll need to feed either more raw chicken or a wet meal with it.

Leslie