Just starting out... Cattery name question

heartnsoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did have a question, about registering with CCA and CFA. Right now my cattery name is registered with with CFA but I was going to also register with CCA. What happens if the cattery name I have is not available in CCA? Do I use a different one? Out of everything, so far, this has been the most confusing for me. You can register your cats with CCA, CFA or TICA without having to register your cattery name with them. If that's the case, why even register your cattery name? Just curious, I am SURE there is a good reason.

I plan on showing in CFA and CCA so I thought it would be smart for my cattery name to be registered with them as well as my cats. Because there are not many TICA shows in Ontario, Canada I won't be registering my cattery name with them, just my cats, so that I can still enter the shows.

Can some one PLEASE help me understand all of this?!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually people pick a cattery name if they plan on breeding at some point. If you never want to breed, then you don't have to get a cattery name. However, if one day you change your mind, you might not be able to get the cattery name the same in all associations you plan on showing.

That's why its easier to decide early if you want a cattery name and get it registered in as many associations you plan on showing.

I only planned on showing CFA and ACFA - not TICA; so I registered the cattery name in both associations - but did CFA first, then ACFA as soon as it was approved.

Its hard to come up with new names, so try to be unique in spelling. I have seen a few catteries that had to have 2 different names as one was taken by the one of the associations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heartnsoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much.

I do plan on breeding eventually but am working on showing first. The cats I have purchased come from fantastic chocolate & lilac lines (the best in the world). I choose Heart'nSoul as my cattery name. It has already been approved in CFA so now I just need to send it into CCA. I just wasn't sure if I should put names similar in the second choice and third choice spots just incase it is not available?

Thanks again!

milabili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I have a few questions about the cattery registration.
I would like to get a maine coon girl for breeding. I dont plan to have more than one cat (I already have a neutered male and I am hooked as you may guess) and I don't plan to have more than let's say 2 litters in 3 years. So there will not be a much of breeding there actually.
1-Do I still have to register a cattery although it will be only one cat? Or is it enough to register the cat and litter after kittens are born?
2-Can I register cattery even before I get the breeding girl?
3-How much does it cost to register and is it enough to register cattery with TICA for example and register cat with Tica and CCA, CFA?
I live in Quebec, Canada
Thanks a lot

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you start out breeding, you should begin with a show neuter. This way you can learn the standard, and meet other breeders.

Breeders won't just sell an entire girl to anyone who comes along.

Over here you must be registered before anyone will sell you anything.

milabili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!
As I said, I have a neutered male and I have been visiting shows for a three years already... I know the standard and I know where I am getting my kitten and I will be a mentored by the breeder... It is true that you can not get breeding cat just like that in Canada and that is why I am getting her in Europe from a breeder I know

It would be great if someone from Canada can give me a reply though

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by milabili

Thanks!
As I said, I have a neutered male and I have been visiting shows for a three years already...
You said a neuter, not that you'd been showing for several years.

Have you got a plan of mating your girl?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The short answer is no, you don't have to have your own cattery name to breed cats. However, why would you want someone else to have the credit for all of the work you put into breeding kittens?

A registered cattery name allows you to identify all of the cats you have bred as coming out of your program. It is part of your cat's registered name and identifies them as part of your feline family, much like your own last name identifies you.

You want to register your own cattery name because when you breed your girl and you want to register the kittens, you will want credit for your hard work. You especially want credit if your kittens accomplish anything for you in the showhall.

milabili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Ferris Cat, I understood that my future kittens have to come from a cattery to be registered, right? Then I would need to register my cattery even if it will be one breeding cat cattery only.
Missymotus, if I understood your question correctly you are asking do I know the future sire for my future girl? Yes, I know, ohterwise I would not go into this, the harderst part is to find stud as I see.
The stud is only 7 months old and my girl has not been even born yet

Her future parents are 8 and 7 months old so I will have to wait for a year until I get her-but I want to get a girl from those partucular parents if everything goes well...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your wait

I was just wondering about the stud, as you are importing the girl.

milabili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As you can see I plan a way ahead

Yes, I will be waiting for my special girl

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to wait about a year before getting my show quality Ocicat, Jack. But he was named before he was born. Charlie was bought as a pet, turned out to be more show quality, but not the best quality even tho he Granded. I learned what to look for in type, so Jack is a lot better then Charlie as far as quality.

When you want quality, you learn to wait

milabili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Parents are promising, lines are very, very good..so I will wait.
As I am a beginner I had to consider of that option(import) as breeders here in Canada are prety closed for new "kids in the block".. But, you cannot stop someone getting into breeding , you can make his lifee more difficult, but if person is determiend to do it, it will happen with your help or without

Luckily there is one who wants to help with the stud service so we will see.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by milabili

As I am a beginner I had to consider of that option(import) as breeders here in Canada are prety closed for new "kids in the block".. But, you cannot stop someone getting into breeding , you can make his lifee more difficult, but if person is determiend to do it, it will happen with your help or without

Luckily there is one who wants to help with the stud service so we will see.
I'm in a bit similar situation. I'm going to import my first breeding queen, but I haven't found the right one yet. Importing is my only option as there are no breeders of the chosen breed or even color in my own country. The waiting seems to be very long because many breeders are fascinated about the same color and it is rare, and I don't want to settle for a cat with bad lines. Good thing is that I have few studs myself, so that won't be a problem. I have registered cattery name in TICA already even though I don't have any females yet..