Do you have any of your state flowers at your house?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missouri's is the Hawthorn but I don't see many near us. They're more common in southern Missouri.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm right on the border of California, Nevada and Arizona.
It's far too hot and dry for sage or poppy here and it's illegal to molest saguaro cactus in any way.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, we have some columbine in the back yard.

But where I'm FROM, they only grow on the prairie (Indian Paintbrush; Wyoming's state flower), and you can't pick them or dig them up, so you can't get them to your back yard.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My provincial flower is the white trillium, most people do not grow them in their gardens mainly because they grow wild all over the place. And technically I don't think they are suppose to be grown in a domestic setting. I know you can get a fine if your caught picking them.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our state flower is the Iris and I actually knew that! But I dont have any growing around the house which is sad, cause I love them.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our state flower is the poppy. If I owned a house, I'd have a native plant garden in the front yard instead of a lawn. I don't have any plants now, though.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michigan's state flower is the apple blossom. I don't have any on any of my property. But we have plenty of the state bird - the robin.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The provincial flower of British Columbia is the Dogwood. There are many in Vancouver, and in our general area, but none on our property. However, it's a rental property, so I'm not about to plant a dogwood only to probably have to leave it behind at some point. Now, if we owned the property, there'd be dogwood on it before you could say 'boo'.

These ones are not far up our street...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

The provincial flower of British Columbia is the Dogwood. There are many in Vancouver, and in our general area, but none on our property. However, it's a rental property, so I'm not about to plant a dogwood only to probably have to leave it behind at some point. Now, if we owned the property, there'd be dogwood on it before you could say 'boo'.

These ones are not far up our street...
Our state tree is a dogwood and yes, I have one planted in the front lawn. Dogwoods are so beautiful!
Maybe you could talk the property owner into planting one?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our state flower is Goldenrod, and it is pretty much just a weed, and I have never known anyone to actually grow it purposefully in their yard/garden. It is REALLY ugly.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kansas is the sunflower state - both the state flower and it's nickname are one and the same. They grow like weeds here and there are some popping up in our gardens thanks to the bird seed that is scattered by the birds.

But we also have dogwood, irises, violets, columbine and peonies here - I notice that there were other state/province flowers. My (potted) saquaro cactus died a few years back or I'd have one of those also.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yep, we have some columbine in the back yard.

But where I'm FROM, they only grow on the prairie (Indian Paintbrush; Wyoming's state flower), and you can't pick them or dig them up, so you can't get them to your back yard.
No Columbine here, but it's a townhome so we don't actually have any say on the landscaping. Fine by me - that means I don't have to mow either!

We did have Columbine on the side of Mom's house, by the tiger lilies.
I always thought they are beautiful flowers - so delicate.

Kim, I LOVE Indian Paintbrush! I didn't know you couldn't pick them or dig them up in Wyoming. I don't think we ever did (we went up there a lot when my sister and I were kids), but I still didn't know that.
I know we had some in the open space behind our subdivision in Ft. Collins. I took this picture of Indian Paintbrush (I'm pretty sure that's what they are...) up by Bailey, at over 8,000 ft in elevation. Because it's so high and so cool up there, they are very low to the ground and hearty plants.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did know that the wild violet is our state flower and yes, they are all over the place. I can't get them out of my flower beds and I've been trying for at least 25 years!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

No Columbine here, but it's a townhome so we don't actually have any say on the landscaping. Fine by me - that means I don't have to mow either!

We did have Columbine on the side of Mom's house, by the tiger lilies.
I always thought they are beautiful flowers - so delicate.

Kim, I LOVE Indian Paintbrush! I didn't know you couldn't pick them or dig them up in Wyoming. I don't think we ever did (we went up there a lot when my sister and I were kids), but I still didn't know that.
I know we had some in the open space behind our subdivision in Ft. Collins. I took this picture of Indian Paintbrush (I'm pretty sure that's what they are...) up by Bailey, at over 8,000 ft in elevation. Because it's so high and so cool up there, they are very low to the ground and hearty plants.
Isn't it a beautiful flower? I've always liked it because it's so unusual. And wild.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Our state tree is a dogwood and yes, I have one planted in the front lawn. Dogwoods are so beautiful!
Maybe you could talk the property owner into planting one?
True, the Dogwood is a tree, but it is designated as the Provincial Flower:

Provincial Flower
The Pacific Dogwood (Cornus Nauttallii) was adopted as British Columbia's floral emblem in 1956. It is a small tree that grows 6 to 8 metres (20 to 30 feet) in height. Leaves are dark green on the upper side, lighter on the underside and the blooms appear from April to June and sometimes again in the fall. 30-40 small cream to greenish flowers are arranged in clusters and are surrounded by four to six large pointed, petal-like bracts. In autumn, the Dogwood is conspicuous for its clusters of bright red or orange berries.

The wood is heavy, exceedingly hard, strong, close-grained and is used occasionally for cabinet making and the handles of tools. Early legend portrays the Dogwood as being the wood of the Cross-of Calvary; the flower petals from the Cross, the centre the Crown of Thorns and the red tips of the petals the Blood of Christ. Pacific Dogwood is on the list of British Columbia plants protected by law and it is a punishable offence to pick or destroy
I don't expect it would take much talking for the landlord to agree to it -- that's not the issue. The issue is we won't likely live here forever, unless at some point we were in a position to buy the property, so we don't plant anything that we'd be sad to leave behind. Well, one exception to that, I guess: we did plant a yellow rose for my Dad while he was living with us, and I'd be sorry to leave that, but it would be a lot easier to take it than a tree would.