Best Hunter Recommendations

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could a breeder or two or more recommend breeds that tend to be really good hunters? We recently moved to the country, practically in the middle of a forest, and our house has a LOT of "huntables" in it.

We lost our American bobtail a few years ago and would like to get another purebred cat.

This is a horse farm, but the kitten/cat will be an indoor cat only.

Other "must haves" that are the norm for the breed:

Good with dogs (they're collies that are good with cats, so that's half the battle)
Good with kids 7 and up who are also very good with animals

Any breed recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Eileen

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious, if the cat will be indoor only why do you want a hunter? Also, and this may be different in the middle of nowhere, but the problem with letting you cat eat "wild" rodents and other "huntables" is that you never know what disease the animal might be carrying that could have a negative effect on the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I'm curious, if the cat will be indoor only why do you want a hunter? Also, and this may be different in the middle of nowhere, but the problem with letting you cat eat "wild" rodents and other "huntables" is that you never know what disease the animal might be carrying that could have a negative effect on the cat.
Because, as I said in my post, there are a lot of huntables in the house.

I'm not referring to rodents at all, heaven forbid! Our pet rats wouldn't care for that too much and we'd like to try to teach kitty that rats are friends. No mammals are the target of said hunting. I'm referring to spiders and whatnot -- insects, but not poisonous ones -- not something they would readily eat but would more likely play with and kill for fun. I've seen more than a few cats hunt down and play a spider to death.

Funnel spiders, dandy long legs, the odd cockroach (don't matter HOW clean your house is, when you live in nature and it's damp and dark they will find a way in), beetles, moths. . . list is long.

Heh, my dogs do it as well, but they aren't nearly as agile as kitties are.

If anything just the presence of said cat would probably keep the crawlies at bay, which is really what we want.

Please don't get the impression our house is overrun, it's not. It's just that my daughter has the "heebie jeebies" and hasn't acclimated to country living as yet. Cat would make her feel protected and safe.

Eileen

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh... When I was a kid we lived in the city by our garage attracted mice, so it was nice to have hunters for indoor only cats... kept the mice out of the food! So it makes sense to have an indoor only hunter.

However, I think often times the best hunter is a moggie (mutt), usually from a shelter or a relatively tame farm cat (since their mum would show them how to hunt).

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Eh... When I was a kid we lived in the city by our garage attracted mice, so it was nice to have hunters for indoor only cats... kept the mice out of the food! So it makes sense to have an indoor only hunter.
Yep. There are a few mice in the house, but we don't really care about them. We like rodents.

Just to clarify as well -- we live on a horse farm but it's one of two houses on this farm. We rent it from the barn owner and we board our horse here. I'm not looking for a cat we can stick in the barn. We want a house cat we can love to death. There already is a barn cat on the premises and he's a nasty bad dude.

However, I think often times the best hunter is a moggie (mutt), usually from a shelter or a relatively tame farm cat (since their mum would show them how to hunt).
We did the shelter thing ten years ago and didn't have a lot of luck with those. First one we got attacked my daughter (I was watching and she didn't DO anything!) and clawed her face pretty badly. After that we bought a pixie bob and an American bobtail from a breeder. Those cats were the bees knees and we miss them very much.

Eileen

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats are good with dogs, cats, kids. And mine love hunting when there are flies, spiders and earwigs inside.
They are active cats who like attention, so it depends on what sort of energy level you are after.

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Ocicats are good with dogs, cats, kids. And mine love hunting when there are flies, spiders and earwigs inside.
They are active cats who like attention, so it depends on what sort of energy level you are after.
Flies, spiders, earwigs -- kitty hunter heaven here

I was looking at Ocicats, as a matter of fact. Are they big on lap sitting or just play animals? Both are fine; my daughter and son would love that!

Eileen

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roan

Because, as I said in my post, there are a lot of huntables in the house.

I'm not referring to rodents at all, heaven forbid! Our pet rats wouldn't care for that too much and we'd like to try to teach kitty that rats are friends. No mammals are the target of said hunting. I'm referring to spiders and whatnot -- insects, but not poisonous ones -- not something they would readily eat but would more likely play with and kill for fun. I've seen more than a few cats hunt down and play a spider to death.

Funnel spiders, dandy long legs, the odd cockroach (don't matter HOW clean your house is, when you live in nature and it's damp and dark they will find a way in), beetles, moths. . . list is long.

Heh, my dogs do it as well, but they aren't nearly as agile as kitties are.

If anything just the presence of said cat would probably keep the crawlies at bay, which is really what we want.

Please don't get the impression our house is overrun, it's not. It's just that my daughter has the "heebie jeebies" and hasn't acclimated to country living as yet. Cat would make her feel protected and safe.

Eileen
My apologies... I must have mis-read your first post. I'm not sure about a hunting breed but I would guess that with the right sort of play as a kitten any cat would grow up to want to hunt. Good luck in your search. Sounds like any cat you do choose is going to be one lucky kitty.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats ignore insects for the most part - they may hunt them on occasion, but not on a daily basis.

Depends on if you like long or shorthair cats. Good with dogs/children are Maine Coons, Norweigan Forest Cats, Ragdolls. For shorthairs - just about any mixed breed, Ocicats, Orientals, American SH and the Rex cats would fit your criteria on the dog/kid part.

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

My apologies... I must have mis-read your first post. I'm not sure about a hunting breed but I would guess that with the right sort of play as a kitten any cat would grow up to want to hunt. Good luck in your search. Sounds like any cat you do choose is going to be one lucky kitty.
Not a problem

Could you or anyone else tell me what the going price is for a pet quality ocicat -- or a Rex -- in the USA? Hubby wants to know how much this is gonna cost him

Especially 'cause we're probably going to want two of them -- he doesn't know that yet, though

Eileen

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roan

I was looking at Ocicats, as a matter of fact. Are they big on lap sitting or just play animals? Both are fine; my daughter and son would love that!

Eileen
My girls are more lap catty than the boys, but the boys also snuggle if I'm watching tv in the evenings. You cannot sit down without having a cat on you, they love attention but then move onto to play, play, play.
All sleep under the covers at night too

ETA getting 2 is a wonderful idea, especially for the more active breeds. I think in the US they are $600-800

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most cats ignore insects for the most part - they may hunt them on occasion, but not on a daily basis.

Depends on if you like long or shorthair cats. Good with dogs/children are Maine Coons, Norweigan Forest Cats, Ragdolls. For shorthairs - just about any mixed breed, Ocicats, Orientals, American SH and the Rex cats would fit your criteria on the dog/kid part.
Nod nod.

With the collies I've got enough long hair floating around, so I think I want a lower maintenance cat this time. Short hair. Ocicat or Rex, I think, after reading all this.

Daughter just saw the pix of missymotus' ocicats I had on my computer screen and she is in LOVE with those. Sigh. Too bad you live down under

Eileen

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My girls are more lap catty than the boys, but the boys also snuggle if I'm watching tv in the evenings. You cannot sit down without having a cat on you, they love attention but then move onto to play, play, play.
All sleep under the covers at night too

ETA getting 2 is a wonderful idea, especially for the more active breeds. I think in the US they are $600-800
Boys it is, then. I'd rather boys, anyhow, I think. Neutering is less expensive as well

Wow. I think we paid $400 for our Bobtail, but that was 10 years ago.

Eileen

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should come already neutered, so you don't need to worry about that.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.... neighbors here have an indoor-outdoor calico moggie who is an awesome hunter. Her son is with the lady across the street and he is also an awesome hunter... and sweet as pie...luuuuurrrrrves attention. Big orange dude. The mom cat was a farm kitten originally.

So maybe a couple of slightly older barn kittens that are more acclimated to humans - not all barn cats are mean cusses.

Or at a local shelter go into the cat room and engage some of the cats and kittens in hunting play.... drag a string across the floor and wiggle it. Put a cloth on top of it and pull it along... see who aggressively pursues it and wants to catch that "prey." I mean, all cats have prey drive but from what I understand they have to be taught to hunt by momma or other cats. Mostly though, that is for mice etc.

We have had cats in rescue where it was obvious that prey drive to hunt and catch things was really strong. Others, not so much. And you would be saving a couple of lives.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

And you would be saving a couple of lives.
There's nothing wrong with someone wanting a purebred cat, they also need good homes.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There's nothing wrong with someone wanting a purebred cat, they also need good homes.
I never said there was. I am just suggesting other options. I am not anti-breeder.

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I never said there was. I am just suggesting other options. I am not anti-breeder.
Nod, understandable, however we tried that once (cat wise) and it did not work out. A lot of animals are fine on their own turf, but once they get somewhere new, they show their real colors.

I've also gone through dogs, horses et al from shelters or rescues and I'd rather mine from breeders. There are just less behavioral problems and breeding mistakes to deal with when you don't have someone's seconds or thirds. No second guesses and no scary, unknown backgrounds.

That's just how we are, but I respect those that prefer shelters or wish to save a life.

Eileen

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The US prices for Oci/Rex pets is about $600 or a little higher. You will get them at about 4 months old (Rexes especially are NOT ready for a new home before 4 months old - I bred the Cornish). And will be neutered/spayed.

Rexes are lap and under the cover cats. Oci's like more on top of the covers when sleeping with you. They are both active, but Oci's tend to be a little more independent then Rexes with attention.

roan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The US prices for Oci/Rex pets is about $600 or a little higher. You will get them at about 4 months old (Rexes especially are NOT ready for a new home before 4 months old - I bred the Cornish). And will be neutered/spayed.

Rexes are lap and under the cover cats. Oci's like more on top of the covers when sleeping with you. They are both active, but Oci's tend to be a little more independent then Rexes with attention.
Thank you!

Why are they not ready before 4 months? Just curious.

I don't remember if any of our breeder-sourced cats were spayed/neutered before we got them, but I have a vague memory of taking one to the vet to have it done. I think. That was some years ago, though.