Itching problem

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has been itching a lot for the past couple of weeks. He is missing little patches of hair on his chest. He bites his toes a lot and seems to be itching also around the belly. I noticed today he has tiny patches of hair missing from around his ears.

Little background on Kuki:

Was diagnosed with mild stomatitis in January.

I changed his food probably like 2 months ago.

The last time i took him to the vet which was about 2 months or so ago, it was because his bottom lip was swollen. The vet said this was a rodent ulcer caused by the fact he has stomatitis.

He keeps itching and I'm not sure what to do. If i take him to my vet i'm sure he is just going to say its because of his stomatitis. But as i read more and more maybe he has a food allergy.

He is currently eating wellness, which i thought was good. But now I'm not sure if its coincidence or what but ever since he's been on that food he's been severely itchy.

Can someone please advise.

Should i try changing his food again? And if yes, please suggest something that it good. Can i give him something for his itchiness? I feel bad for the little fella.

Thanks in advance.

Carrie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmmm, it does sound allergy related and I'll bet your vet tells you that it's fleas. All vets in the south blame allergies on fleas!! I assume that living in Miami, you are using something like Advantage?

Before you switch foods, look in your environment. Have you changed laundry detergents, gotten a new rug, exterminator come to your home recently? I've seen cats react to chemicals (cleaners, detergents, bug spray), and certain fabrics (I had a dog allergic to a wool rug). If something is new, take it away and see if it helps.

And if it isn't in the environment, then try a new food, or at least get him on his old food to see if it goes away, then restart to another brand from there. Compare ingredients in the old and new to see what the differences might be, then avoid those when you select a new food.

I've had cats with stomatitis that have never had rodent ulcers, and have cats with rodent ulcers that never had stomatitis. I'm sort of surprised that your vet related the 2. They don't necessarily go hand in hand, unless his immune system is worn down by the stomatitis and other problems are flaring up. Which makes me think: My Stumpy had skin allergies for about 8 years that went away when our dog crossed (he was allergic to the dog). Shortly afterwards he developed stomatitis. The vet found an auto-immune disorder that could have started with his skin and worked to his mouth. So depending on the type of stomatitis, these could be related.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure my vet is too familiar with stomatitis. However, i do think Kuki has a low immune system. I just got some vitamins for him and will be changing his food to see if it helps.

I have examined him for fleas but have not seen any. He lives in my room and does not go anywhere else but my room. However, my mom's dog caught fleas from the backyard. He doesn't have any contact with Kuki. The only thing i can think of is when i feed kuki he eats in my bathroom. Which sometimes is open and it could be possible that the dog left some fleas in there.

Supposedly my vet said Kuki has Lymphocytic-Plasmacytic Gingivitis Stomatitis, however he did not run any tests so how can he be so sure its LPGS and not just a mild case of stomatitis. From what I've read in the Stomatitis group in yahoo, kuki's symptoms are nothing like those talked about in that site!

I'm so frustrated! I feel bad for him!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy beat me to the quick!

My first thought would be flea allergies. Realize it can only take one flea bite to cause a massive allergic reaction. Is he on flea preventative? If so, what?

Second thought was what other things have changed in the environment?

Third thought was food allergies. I've had people tell me the cat has been on the same food all their life without a problem, but food allergies can develop at any time - whether they've been on the food months or years. What Wellness formula are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first thought would be flea allergies. Realize it can only take one flea bite to cause a massive allergic reaction. Is he on flea preventative? If so, what?
That's what i thought, but the vet was soo sure that it was not that case so i just gave up on that thought. None of my boys are on flea preventive. I considered getting a collar for all 4.

Second thought was what other things have changed in the environment?
Nothing has changed in the environment. My 4 boys are confined to my room at all times. I use to let them run around my house before, but not for the past 3 months since my mom's dogs have been battling the fleas lol.

Third thought was food allergies. I've had people tell me the cat has been on the same food all their life without a problem, but food allergies can develop at any time - whether they've been on the food months or years. What Wellness formula are you feeding?
The canned formula, usually chicken. I avoid the seafood ones. I feed them dry food in the morning wet food around 6:30pm and before bed i give them a little bit of dry food again. he seems to be the only one with problems, which is reasonable since he's always been the one whose sensitive.

He was found on the street when he was 5 months with mild mange. He is now 3 but i guess his immune system is not as strong.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

Supposedly my vet said Kuki has Lymphocytic-Plasmacytic Gingivitis Stomatitis, however he did not run any tests so how can he be so sure its LPGS and not just a mild case of stomatitis. From what I've read in the Stomatitis group in yahoo, kuki's symptoms are nothing like those talked about in that site!
You can't diagnose LPGS without an actual biopsy, but I suspect you knew that already. My Stumpy was diagnosed with LPGS, so we know for certain his problems are immune related. I'm a member of the yahoo stomatitis group myself, and yes, there are some serious issues on that forum.

You asked if there was anything you could do for his itching. Until you find the cause of it, the usual thing that a vet will prescribe is steroids - either a depo shot or prednisone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Momofmany and White cat lover covered alot of what I would suggest ...

DO NOT use FLEA COLLARS... get a flea preventative from the vet ( or like me ask your vet if something like de flea is appropriate_