Ellie and the window

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Ellie, she's not a jumper and all she wanted to do was sit in the window. She would spend all day looking out the patio door, but unless she was lifted up into the windowsill, she couldn't enjoy the view. Ellie would just walk around squealing until someone would pick her up. I put a small step ladder under the window but she still didn't "get it". So, I tried to teach her to put her paws up on the steps, boosted her up step by step. The last step was to help her up into the window. She just didn't seem to get it - until this morning!!!! I was soooo proud of her! First she jumped up to the top step and then jumped into the windowsill. Now my little Elliebellie can look out of the window all on her own - I'm such a proud meowmy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness - I just walked into the bedroom and there's Ellie, all sprawled out in the window napping!!! She is in heaven!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is so neat when they figure it out. Much is now getting older and doesn't jump so well so we have started putting step stools around. She's slowly figuring it out that they are for her.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ellie is not even 2, and spent much of her young life in a shelter (poor thing!). I'm so happy that she gets to live a very cushy life now - she deserves it! George has taught her a few things that she never knew - like how to bathe herself - good thing he did cuz I'm not sure how we would have done that!!!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say that is the cutest story.
I love it when my cats are learning new things. It's also really neat when I see them learning from each other. I love it.
When it's good behavoir of course

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She now spends all of her time in the window. She's a happy girl. But poor George - that use to be HIS window!

lynneny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so cute about Ellie! I'm so glad that she can relax in the windowsill now - my cats all love it there and often "fight" to be the ONE in a particular window!

But I do have a terrible story to tell about jumping into windows. Early one Sunday morning a few years ago, I was out front gardening - it was about 8a.m. and very quiet on the street. All of a sudden I heard a loud noise and looked up to see my calico kitty flying out of the second story window!!! I screamed (something I can't write here!) and ran to her as fast as I could, but not before she hit her cheek on the front steps! She was so terrified she ran into the bushes. I got her out as quickly as I could and we ran her over to the vet.

They said that this is actually quite common and is called "High Rise Syndrome"!!! Our Roxie apparently jumped up to see a bird or bug and the screen was not quite secure in the window. Thankfully all she had was a bruised cheek and eye - both healed just fine. The vet said that most cats die or have to be euthanized after those falls because they break their jaw.

So everyone please check your windows from time to time so this doesn't happen to your furbaby!

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh that's horrible!!! And my biggest fear when we're out on the 2nd story balcony. I don't worry too much about George but Ellie seems a bit too eager to want to explore. I did find this pup-tent like thing for cats so they can be outside but aren't able to get into trouble - and give me peace of mind!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, good for her!!

Yes, this scares me as well as Trout loves to hang out by the window and we are on the 12th floor!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our three take it in turns for the window sill on our dining room, although most days it either Shark or Brandy sitting there...Arwen will spend most of her time in my bedroom
And the window sill in there is hers!

lynneny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by George's Mom

Oh that's horrible!!! And my biggest fear when we're out on the 2nd story balcony. I don't worry too much about George but Ellie seems a bit too eager to want to explore. I did find this pup-tent like thing for cats so they can be outside but aren't able to get into trouble - and give me peace of mind!!
I also bought a large, portable heavy nylon carrier/cathouse so I can take my strictly indoor cats out on the second story deck when I am sitting out there. It fits the 2 sister calicos perfectly, and they get to lie in the sun and see the birds a bit closer up. The one I have has screen type windows on each side, but also has a panel that can be kept up with velcro, or rolled down to cover the windows in case the sun is too strong on any side. Amber just loves going outside with me, and I know she will be safe. She is the one who tries to run outdoors everytime a door opens!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah for Ellie!!

I too worry about screens in windows--so the upstairs windows are never open enough for the boys to fit in--but there is stuff in front of them so they can still lay and enjoy the breeze through the crack--If I really want airflow I open them from the top so the boys can't get to them. I do have a friend whose cat has jumped from the 2nd story multiple times--accidents, and has always been fine.

Leslie