How far away would you be willing to rehome a kitten?

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the weirdest inquiry about an adoption! A lady wrote me from Canada wanting to adopt a kitten, I am in NC and she seen our listing on Petfinder, I am very concerned about a kitten going that far away, what if they are unable to keep it?? Our policy is that we will always take back any cats or kittens adopted from us if for some reason they cannot be kept by the adopter. I wrote her and asked her why she was interested in this particular kitten, and how would she plan on getting the kitten? Plus I like to do home checks,vet references and if need be...The land lords permission. I just thought it odd she would want a kitten from sop far away!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would only adopt long distance if I actually knew the person very well. I've heard other people on this site talk about getting inquiries for kittens from long distances, and as far as I know, none of them turned out. There are so many kittens needing homes in every one of our areas that there is no reason to go so far away, particularly into another country! Of course if it was a rare pure bred, maybe, but I would be extremely cautious on this one.

Frankly, I would suspect a scam.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Frankly, I would suspect a scam.
There is a typ of scam, although usually not adressed from Canada:

They send a big check, bigger then necessary. You are asked to repay what was extra - possibly to a representative who will collect the cat. Or something.
You cash in.

After some days it turns out the check not correct; and now you must repay to the bank. While you probably repaid the extra to the representative...

But otherwise. In a everyday example as thumb of rule. Say a buyer 100 km from you. If they are willing to come and fetch the cat, they probably do care and really want THIS kitten.
If your gut feeling is not sending any no no - this may be a very good place! Consider it seriously.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I was thinking too...and I asked her!! Also I would not feel comfortable rehoming a kitten so far away because like I said they decide for whatever reason they cannot keep her, will they make the effort to let me know and return her to me?? also I think it would be too much stress on a kitten that is just starting to trust humans! I was really wanting to see if others felt the same way! thanks for the quick responses!!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are more than willing to go atleast 250 miles to rehome a kitten or cat (after the adopter fills out an application and we have checked everything out) We won't go further than that because we do like to do home checks! You just never know about people!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I successfully re-homed 2 cats to Idaho, but I knew the person (from here) for 3 years prior to that. Otherwise, we don't have a set adoption area here, but people are required to come to us to adopt, we don't ship pets.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I successfully re-homed 2 cats to Idaho, but I knew the person (from here) for 3 years prior to that. Otherwise, we don't have a set adoption area here, but people are required to come to us to adopt, we don't ship pets.
I would not ship a cat either, We do however drive them (up to 250 miles).

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been involved in a number of successful long-distance adoptions, but most were to TCS members, so there was no question that the cat was going to a loving, committed home. The rescue I used to volunteer with has adopted out cats to folks who live 2-3 hours away, but that's only after checking vet refs, having the adopters complete an application, come to visit the cat, etc...

I just did an adoption yesterday to some folks who saw the kitty in question on a national rescue website and drove 2 1/2 hours to meet him. This was after several conversations with the adopters and vet ref was checked. It's becoming increasingly common for people to fall in love with a particular pet from a distance and there are numerous volunteer transport group who help faciliate the adoptions.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am comfortable with 2 hours away....heck I am even comfortable with anywhere in NC. I just prefer to be able to see what the home enviroment is like and to be close enough if they are unable to keep the cat I know we are able to get it back with us and rehome it. But Canada??? That is far away!! and I just think it will cause alot of stress on the kitten to have to travel that far on top of going to a new place with people she doesn't know!

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have done a few out-of-state rehomings of cats and kittens. The people who adopt them get their references checked out.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

There is a typ of scam, although usually not adressed from Canada:

They send a big check, bigger then necessary. You are asked to repay what was extra - possibly to a representative who will collect the cat. Or something.
You cash in.

After some days it turns out the check not correct; and now you must repay to the bank. While you probably repaid the extra to the representative...
This was my first thought as well. It's sad to say, but this is a very common scam, and I believe other members here have encountered it in the past.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, someone from Canada adopted one of my kittens. She drove down to pick him up (I am in Oregon) with her mom, but she was also an early (core) TCS member. Massey was a beautiful kitten, but soon after she adopted him, she dropped off the board and i have heard no word on how Massey is doing since. I have no problem taking kittens into Washington State, or even Northern California, but I don't think I would adopt that long distance ever again.

I did just read an article about a couple in London adopting a stray tuxedo kitty from back east, so really, anything is possible.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest fear is being able to check everything out, and the fact if they are so far away, will they make the effort to contact us if they can nbo longer keep the cat??

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a big believer in the "gut feeling" thing. If your gut feeling is that something doesn't seem right, then you have every right to say that your rescue has a policy about long distance adoptions.