What is Minimum Wage Where You Live?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just curious what minimum wage was around the world. I think it would be interesting to see how much it changes.

Here, in Ontario, it is $9.50 an hour.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On May 1, 2009, Manitoba's minimum wage increased by 25 cents to $8.75 an hour and, on Oct. 1, 2009, the rate will increase by another 25 cents to $9 an hour.

The province has steadily increased the rate from $6 an hour in 1999, restoring the spending power of minimum wage earners that eroded over the 1990s.

While not the highest in Canada, our cost of living here is high. I've been looking at apartment prices and even the shabbiest of places in unsafe areas would be difficult to afford on $8.75 per hour.

Here is a table for rates across Canada

http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wi....aspx?lang=eng

I remember in 1979 or so that I was earning $1.85 per hour. At that time there were 2 different rates: one for under 18 years and one for over 18 years.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My state has no minimum wage laws listing amounts, thus uses the federal minimum wage. It's $6.55 now and will go up to $7.25 (iirc) in July.

Sounds low, but Kansas is worse. Theirs is $2.65 until Jan. 2010 when it will go up to $7.25.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My state has no minimum wage laws listing amounts, thus uses the federal minimum wage. It's $6.55 now and will go up to $7.25 (iirc) in July.

Sounds low, but Kansas is worse. Theirs is $2.65 until Jan. 2010 when it will go up to $7.25.
Same for Louisiana.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's $8.40 here in Oregon. It just went up in January. What kills me is that where i work, I had gotten a raise to above Min. Wage over a year ago. But it was lower than what it currently is. When the Mandatory Cost of Living Increase hit this year, my wage went up... to the new Min. Wage.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
$8 in california it went up a year ago or so i think. I make a little over min wage $8.32 lmao
. But seriously when they raise min. wage everything goes up about 10x more!! lol cause our tax here is like almost $8 i think...not too sure. Can I move to Canada???

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

It's $8.40 here in Oregon. It just went up in January. What kills me is that where i work, I had gotten a raise to above Min. Wage over a year ago. But it was lower than what it currently is. When the Mandatory Cost of Living Increase hit this year, my wage went up... to the new Min. Wage.
So basically a year ago you were making more than minimum wage, but now you are only making minimum wage? That doesn't seem fair! Have you spoken to your employer and asked why they didn't compensate and keep your wage above the minimum wage one?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

$8.00 an hour in B.C.; it will probably be raised to $10 an hour soon, although the "requirement for a basic living wage" in Vancouver is $16.00 an hour!

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business...684/story.html

Also not adding up is the median housing price here (7.4 times that of the median income).
For us at $8 an hour, if we work 40 hours/week, it certainly isn't enough for a single person to live independently... much less a single parent! A person would be making $1280 a month, and if 20% is taken out for taxes, social security, etc. then that leaves only $1024. Rent for the apartment I'm in now is $915, which was pretty average for last year when we signed the lease. Now you can rent a comparable apartment for $800. This leaves $224 for utilities, auto maintenance/repair/fuel, groceries, and medical expenses. Assuming you live in a studio that is $700 a month and you can walk or ride a bike to work... that's $324 for utilities, groceries, and medical expenses. You might survive on that if you're frugal, and stay healthy... but you certainly won't have anything left to put into a retirement fund.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Kansas has the lowest minimum wage rate in the country at a whopping $2.65 an hour. Yes you heard it: $2.65 an hour! That was the national rate back in about 1976. They are supposed to go to the national minimum of $7.55 when that is raised soon.

Here's a list by state:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._minimum_wages
wow, that really is stunning. I mean..what the heck?!! Here in Maine it's $7.25 I used to live in Washington (state) where it was $8.55. I'd just like to thank the OP for bringing to my attention that I am making less now than the minimum wage back in WA! Sheesh!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very few people in KS are subject to the state minimum wage law. Almost everyone is covered by the Federal law.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess South Dakota's minimum wage is the same as the federal minimum wage......$6.55 right now and $7.25 starting in July.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

For us at $8 an hour, if we work 40 hours/week, it certainly isn't enough for a single person to live independently... much less a single parent! A person would be making $1280 a month, and if 20% is taken out for taxes, social security, etc. then that leaves only $1024. Rent for the apartment I'm in now is $915, which was pretty average for last year when we signed the lease. Now you can rent a comparable apartment for $800. This leaves $224 for utilities, auto maintenance/repair/fuel, groceries, and medical expenses. Assuming you live in a studio that is $700 a month and you can walk or ride a bike to work... that's $324 for utilities, groceries, and medical expenses. You might survive on that if you're frugal, and stay healthy... but you certainly won't have anything left to put into a retirement fund.
And what that doesn't take into consideration is that many of those jobs are the first ones to cut back hours when business is slow. At my last stateside job I was making a bit more than minimum, and had insurance for which I paid $120 every month. During slow season they would cut the full-timers back to 32 hours a week. You mght say get an additional job, but how can you when your employer could want you for any shift between 7 and 7 any day of the week?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

So basically a year ago you were making more than minimum wage, but now you are only making minimum wage? That doesn't seem fair! Have you spoken to your employer and asked why they didn't compensate and keep your wage above the minimum wage one?
I know what the answer will be. I've been an assistant store manager elsewhere and it's tough keeping within budget. I work retail, in a high energy fabric store. We have a lot of people, mostly part timers like myself, who come in and work their bee-hinds off keeping up with demand. but it's not like a media store which would have BIG ticket items that help... Yes, we have CHantilly Lace that's $150 a yard, but many folks balk at the 10.99 average price of a yard of fabric. We have full timers as well, and there's insurance, building running costs, etc... A ton of overhead. We aren't a chain, just one big store. and we need lots of folks to run said store. The cost of adding that .15-.25 more per hour would come close to putting them out of business. The owner's daughter (who really is the owner at this rate, Boss Man comes in and says hello, but isn't active anymore) is very involved in many things here. We have, on average, 50-100 employees at any given time. it's just cost prohibitive, period.

I'm grateful for the job I DO have, but it stinks not really making enough to live on...

i will be dropping my health insurance. They have been very good to us and offering Part timers insurance, but honestly, the health insurance stinks (read: useless). When I got my statement for my time in the hospital last fall, it was $27,000. Insurance paid $2000. You can do the math. I'll keep dental for now... but dropping medical will give me an extra 40 a month... anything helps.

i get customers who, when they find out I have a B.A., they ask me what I'm doing there. I usually reply, "they called me back and then hired me. No one else is even calling me for interviews." But i know they can't afford to pay all of us better than they do... I do understand. It hurts that they didn't keep that raise equivalent, but C'est la Vie. At least I have a job.

Amanda

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours varies by industry and age. It's a rising scale from minors 16-20 and adults.

Minors is about $10-13 per hour up to $15 for casual hours. Rate increases as you age.
Adult $14.39 full time ($546 week) or $17.26 casual.