I am certifiably insane.....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let my soon to be 13yr old daughter drive my truck

History: My hubby bought my truck for my wedding present
I had wanted a new vehicle (was driving a rusty, leaky 91 ford explorer). I got a brand new Dodge Ram in 2007.... she is my baby.

I'm not kidding when I say that I am incredibly anal about my truck. Anyone who knows me, knows that. She's my pride and joy. Her name is Eeek btw. I hand wash her (too big for the drivethrough washes, and I don't want to risk her getting scratched). I know her inside out.

But yah, I took my kids down some backroads, and let Kendra drive it. She is the second person to drive Eeek. (my hubby gets to from time to time...but noone aside from me drives Eeek) I will happily drive someone to pick up something large, but they cannot borrow my truck.

I made Kendra's day though
She did pretty good too. I kept her at 60km/h and let her do some straight driving for about 20mins. I had to control the wheel a bunch of times as she headed for the side of the road... but she did pretty good.

We got home and she was bursting to tell my hubby.... he was shocked that I actually let her LOL.... so was I. But the look on her face when I pulled over, and told her to get out of the truck. I moved over to the middle front, and pointed her to the drivers seat. She was shocked. The look on her face, priceless. And she's still so very proud.

I know she's young, and yes this was illegal.... but I don't want her like me, having no driving experience till I was in my early 20's. She'll get drivers ed in school, providing we can afford it. But for now, I "might" let her drive again. (it was quite safe.... no other vehicles on this road, except one... I left my 4ways on because it was an 80 zone, and we were doing at the most 60...and was right there to control the wheel)

I know its not something she will forget

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I know she's young, and yes this was illegal.... but I don't want her like me, having no driving experience till I was in my early 20's. She'll get drivers ed in school, providing we can afford it. But for now, I "might" let her drive again. (it was quite safe.... no other vehicles on this road, except one... I left my 4ways on because it was an 80 zone, and we were doing at the most 60...and was right there to control the wheel)

I know its not something she will forget
I'm glad you're spending time with her doing this.
My dad didn't want to teach me (and I didn't want him to - he has serious temper problems) and my mother was already living several states away - so like you I didn't really drive till I was in my early 20's. I still hate driving...
I blame it on having been through a wreck and the person who was teaching me when I was younger ended up dying - in a head on collision (other driver fell asleep).

Aside from being large, Rams are pretty easy to drive. You can see everything nicely and they seem to be spaced inside perfectly for a woman driver. Which sort of seems odd, if you think about it.
They're also a lot more comfortable for someone with back problems than most cars seem to be.

The other plus about teaching her to drive on a big truck - especially backing, she'll be able to handle just about anything later on.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so nice. You never know what sort of emergency you might find yourself in where it would be beneficial if your daughter could drive. For example, my mom used to get migraine headaches and couldn't see well enough to drive when she got them.

I usually don't let people drive my truck either. SO has driven it, but I feel uneasy if I'm not behind the wheel. I worked hard for it, so I want to be the one to wear it out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Aside from being large, Rams are pretty easy to drive. You can see everything nicely and they seem to be spaced inside perfectly for a woman driver. Which sort of seems odd, if you think about it.
They're also a lot more comfortable for someone with back problems than most cars seem to be.
Actually I find it the total opposite....and would even say that they are not made for the average woman driver. Because I'm short, I have to sit with the steering wheel nearly at my chest level. The headrests get in the way of my comfort, and I need to get a back cushion LOL.

Don't mistake what I'm saying, I love my truck to death, but I don't agree that it is spaced for a woman driver, unless that woman is 5'8 or so. The Ford F150's are pretty good....but pricier than the Dodges.

Anyways, original point:

I didn't drive because I lived away from my parents since I was 13, and in different institutions. After that I lived in a city with local transit. No need for my license.

I got mine when my now hubby wanted me to be able to see him more often when I lived out in a hick town. That was bout 7yrs ago.

I love driving, but I found it took me longer to learn, and some concepts I still haven't learned (like parallel parking LMAO).

But yah, she had a blast, and in 3yrs she'll start DE.... hopefully she has a job (aside from cadets and bbsitting) to buy her own car. (thats a different discussion, but we won't buy her a car).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Don't mistake what I'm saying, I love my truck to death, but I don't agree that it is spaced for a woman driver, unless that woman is 5'8 or so. The Ford F150's are pretty good....but pricier than the Dodges.
I'm just under 5'8".
I have the problem where I have to sit closer to reach the steering wheel in a car but then I have long legs so those get scrunched. Plenty of room for my legs in a truck! (my actual leg length - inseam is 2" longer than my DH... though he's taller)

I could see how it would be a problem if you're shorter. I see plenty of women around here, though, driving super dutys and they can barely see over the dash.

I don't think I'd attempt to parallel park my DH's Ram... Some of the parallel parking spots in town are large enough to fit a truck but ones in the city would be about three or four feet too short.

Good luck with teaching her.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to let me steer the car a lot when I was about 10, when we'd near our house. He also had let me drive cars in the parking lot at his shop from the time I was 10-11 on up - I had a good bit of driving experience by the time I had a permit and license.

I learned to drive on my learners permit with his 97 Dodge Ram 1500. Everything else I drove seemed so tiny in comparison
From time to time I still drive my FIL's 97 Ram too. Wouldn't mind having a Ford F-250 diesel of our own, but I'm a whopping 5'3" and in just about everything I drive need the seat as far forward as it will go! I certainly feel high & mighty in big trucks though

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great memory you just made!! I wish my dad had done something like that before I actually got my driving permit. The first time I was behind the wheel it was just going around the block in our town and dad was white knuckling it the whole way. By the time we got home, I was shaking as bad as he was. It would have been so much easier to just be on a back road with no traffic for the first time driving. Good for you for giving your daughter experience now.

I don't have kids but I see the major points as:

1) potty training
2) the "sex talk"
3) teaching them to drive (HAS to be one of the hardest!)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

What a great memory you just made!! I wish my dad had done something like that before I actually got my driving permit. The first time I was behind the wheel it was just going around the block in our town and dad was white knuckling it the whole way. By the time we got home, I was shaking as bad as he was. It would have been so much easier to just be on a back road with no traffic for the first time driving. Good for you for giving your daughter experience now.
You shoulda seen the look on her face.... it was probally the same look that I had when my now husband told me to get out and drive after getting my beginners... only I had more fear.. Kendra just had excitement

I don't have kids but I see the major points as:

1) potty training
2) the "sex talk"
3) teaching them to drive (HAS to be one of the hardest!)
#1: done.....
#2: Sex, drugs, alcohol chat: done with the older one... haven't touched it with my almost 9yr old.
#3: this isn't going to be routine for me, but its a start. She will take drivers ed when she's in highschool. (providing we can afford it). The look on her face did it for me... I almost cried LOL.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daddy always let me drive on our road when I was little. Heck I drove up my grandmothers driveway (which was a mile long) when i was around 7 while sitting on his lap.
It helped me a lot when I did start driving. Although just recently my dad was attempting to teach me to drive a stick better... yeah that went well...
Talk about nervous!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

That's so nice. You never know what sort of emergency you might find yourself in where it would be beneficial if your daughter could drive.
that´s my point!..
BUT keep an eye of her always...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet she was thrilled!

I've been driving more years than I can remember. One of my Mom's brothers used to own a farm and she would take us out there often. I would drive his riding lawn mower, it was such fun!

I would also drive the tractor on his farm and one of my cousin's farms too. I loved that! The cows didn't like it too much though!

The first time I drove an actual car was when I was 10 or 11 years old. My Mom used to let me drive around the neighbourhood (she was with me). By the time I was 12 years old I was allowed to take the car by myself to the 7-11 store about a mile from where we lived. And the odd time I was allowed to drive home across town, down busy streets, if my Mom was in the car with me. Obviously highly illegal!!!

Yet despite all that driving, I didn't go to get my driver's license until I was 17 years old. :shrug:

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you have to pay for driver's ed in Ontario? Here, we take it through the schools (as long as you're in high school) and I think you have to pay like, $25 for the actual test. Not bad.

Anyway, I could have taken driver's ed in grade ten, but I put it off until grade twelve. I finished it in January at age seventeen - older than usual. Before that, the only time I had drove was last year on a back road outside of town. I have only driven in the city twice so far,
but I drove around some hamlets nearby. I'm terrible at taking corners and I still don't know how to parallel park.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Wow, you have to pay for driver's ed in Ontario? Here, we take it through the schools (as long as you're in high school) and I think you have to pay like, $25 for the actual test. Not bad.
Yup.... I believe its around $500 or so. (thru school or thru a company) (I'll doublecheck with my neighbour.... her daughter is going thru the school)

The actual license, when I got mine was 100 (includes written and first road test) then either 50 or 75 for the second road test.